Thread: 3DS refund row hits Nintendo

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts

Amusing 3DS refund row hits Nintendo

FURIOUS gamers made ill by Nintendo's new 3DS console have been REFUSED full refunds.
    Record return levels were reported after thousands suffered headaches and dizziness. Many only got some cash back from shops - or nothing at all.

One dad became ill after playing the device for THREE MINUTES with his young son.
    Sundeep Tailor, 27, returned the revolutionary 3D machine, which has left thousands with dizziness and headaches, after just 24 hours.

Staff at his local Game store at first refused to refund him, then offered £176.99 - £30 less than he had paid. Sundeep, of Luton, Beds, who was also out of pocket after paying £20 for games, said: "I lost money in just 24 hours. There will probably be more people in my position."

Flashes

The 3DS flashes separate images into each eye, creating the illusion of depth.

Nintendo last week announced the console is not safe for under-sevens and advised playing in 3D mode for less than 30 minutes.

But gaming site Maxconsole.com yesterday said: "Being told to turn off the 3D is insulting, Without it, the gadget is a more expensive version of the previous DS. There should be a ten-day, no fuss return policy."

Game, which is offering refunds £50 under retail price, said it only fully reimburses for faulty goods.

HMV is offering a £200 trade-in, but only until Thursday. Last night Nintendo said feedback was "overwhelmingly positive", adding returns are "in single figures per retailer".

It is now providing demo consoles in Game and HMV stores for buyers to test.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ll-refund.html

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    This sucks for those susceptible! But you can understand the stores position too. The item is no longer new so they can't sell it as new, I think Nintendo themselves need to intervene and make sure everyone is happy.
    My son has one and loves it! So not everyone has a problem with ity. You do have to wonder if they will damage the eyes though if they recommend turning it off after a half hour.
    Thanks Jezter!

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Buyer beware approximately 5-10% of the population either can't or has substantially reduced ability to see 3D. There are also those who will suffer headaches but no numbers are available for that group. If you are having an eye test it is worth asking them to do a stereo perception test and you will find out if you are wasting your money buying a 3D TV/cinema ticket/3DS...

The Prolapse Champion
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    That's why it is really important to test the console out in a store before buying it. My eyes hurt when I watch 3D films so I'm guessing that I would suffer with the 3DS.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchop View Post
    That's why it is really important to test the console out in a store before buying it. .
    thats it there were reports about the problem long before the 3ds hit the shops in the uk so why wouldn't you try before you buy ,i know i would if i were ever to buy one

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    On one hand of course it's important to test things out... but I don't test out every accessory and game before I buy. I expect if it's unplayable, I'll get my money back.

And I have returned products that are absolutely comparable... there's no policy of only taking back faulty products I presume they've been told not to take back this specific product

What's fucked is that if the problem is so prevalent, there is absolutely no way in my mind that Nintendo was oblivious. It also explains the immediate denial of returns...

This is kinda disappointing. I haven't bought a Nintendo product in years but I held them in higher esteem until now.
    Last edited by Godfather; 04-10-2011 at 06:14 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    but the product isn't at fault in someways it's the user which is at fault so how is this nintendo's fault? the thing plays 3d images it's the % of people that it doesn't work with, i know there are many that have to pre order it or wait for 4 days outside the shop just to say they're the first to own it but this was reported long before

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchop View Post
    That's why it is really important to test the console out in a store before buying it. My eyes hurt when I watch 3D films so I'm guessing that I would suffer with the 3DS.
    It depends on the type of 3D movie you watched. The old anaglyph (red/blue) glasses were truly horrible and should be avoided at all costs. The current cinema 3D uses polarised filters for left and right, the downside to that one is that you lose some of the brightness and this can cause eye strain. If you take the glasses off you will notice that the image is brighter due to the double projection and the increased lumens to compensate for the loss.

3D TVs are all using shutter glasses at the moment and these are by far the worst for inducing headaches and generally feeling unwell. This is due to the glasses flickering open/closed 30+ times per second.

The 3DS is using a prism in front of the screen to allow each eye to only see the appropriate image, this in theory should be the best option but the technology still has some way to go before it is perfected. There are some TV screens using this technology but non that are available commercially yet.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 869 Posts
    I know in the u.s, most places have a 10-15 day full return policy. *except games, games and movies don't, which is understandable*

Gamestop, wally world, Target, Meijers, etc... all 10-15+ day return policies.

Most of these polices are regulated by federal or state consumer protection laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I already have your name on my butthole...too bad the tattoo artist couldn't spell
    Looser
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    murder my ass..shove it up my ass....both are beautiful terms of endearment

fricnjay
    If they dont do something I smell a class action lawsuit coming.