Thread: Top 10 martial arts for self-defense, plus an extra suggestion

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tehlancinator View Post
    Or:

Chuck Norris is well known as a pro-gun advocate, and in response to a reporter’s ironic question, “If someone broke into your house, would you use your roundhouse kick?” he replied, “No, I’d use my 10 gauge.”

Hahahahaha...

I nearly spit out what I was drinking when I first read that quote.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    believe it or don't I was taught some Wing Chun, which turned into Jeet Kune Do
    WC is very simple, straightforward, and is probably the best street fighting art there is. have bridge, cross bridge, no bridge, attack! bruce was never taught all of wing chun, and being a movie man he basically bastardized 'em all int a free flowing whatever works, but based largely on wing chun, boxing, fencing...and whoever got the idea that grappling and joint locks are specific to things like JJ and aikido? preposterous asserting that jkd made him "fast enough" vs wjm, as if it were a style thing.

gotta chuckle at all these descriptions though. any art can be applied to deadly precision. what no tai chi here?

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    I had a nasty drunk fight (I was all over the place) and was intending to punch a guy across the bridge of the nose....I ended up smacking his throat and you're right

guy was like - wtf wtf??? you hit my windpipe!......like I crossed some horrible line in a parking lot fight
    unfortunately, due to my size (~11 stone is the heaviest I've ever been) Ihad to to fight dirty if some 16 stone lump started picking on me.... it wasn't "fair" and I was somehow the bad guy when he's 50% bigger than me I'm not getting beraten up by some chump trying to look hard in front of his mates.... he's going down ASAP by any means necessary and btw, it was more a chop than a punch, but I can't say chop cos it sounds gay

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    oh ffs we were jumped outside a bar and I was held down and kicked by guys wearing boots.....I got up...and was royally pissed. So IMO, after shit like that... everything is legal in a fight

In my experience you gauge how the fight is going....if you can beat a guy and he's down, you stop there. If you feel fear or start getting hit by objects, that changes the attitude of your actions...

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    situation always gets assessed first. if shit comes out of nowhere, you werent paying attention fighting is fighting. what's the difference between a punch and a slap? you can break bones with a good slap if you know how to whip it good.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FBD View Post
    whip it good.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    WC is very simple, straightforward, and is probably the best street fighting art there is. have bridge, cross bridge, no bridge, attack! bruce was never taught all of wing chun, and being a movie man he basically bastardized 'em all int a free flowing whatever works, but based largely on wing chun, boxing, fencing...and whoever got the idea that grappling and joint locks are specific to things like JJ and aikido? preposterous asserting that jkd made him "fast enough" vs wjm, as if it were a style thing.

gotta chuckle at all these descriptions though. any art can be applied to deadly precision. what no tai chi here?
    Tai chi is aerobics for old people. That's what my Chinese friends told me back in college.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks

I was taught off and on for 3 years in both a class and at the guy's house. I learned way more with just a heavy bag and him, versus a class environment. He'd always say - This is the proper form...and this is how it applies (meaning he'd alter something in the form) This was about 15 years ago (when I was in shape) and I still remember the warmups in class being worse than the repetitive form movements and the sparring

He was a lot like Bruce....economy of movement was everything. He hated Taekwondo and some aspects of karate and had noooo problem demonstrating why they sucked when someone brought it up

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Tai chi is aerobics for old people. That's what my Chinese friends told me back in college.
    To me it's just a form of stretching and breathing....beginner yoga, Asian flava

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Didn't you take like 3 weeks of tiger claw karate' Hal?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Nope, my bro in law showed me some of his moves....but only in a gym out on the island where they live.

He be a black belt in Tiger Claw...no fooling around. Watched him do the board breaking thing in a tournament and I broke one 1/2 inch plywood board at his place (with my hand)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Nope, my bro in law showed me some of his moves....but only in a gym out on the island where they live.

He be a black belt in Tiger Claw...no fooling around. Watched him do the board breaking thing in a tournament and I broke one 1/2 inch plywood board at his place (with my hand)
    I once cut plywood with a saw.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    I once cut some farts with my ass...

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I've won more fights than I've lost...showed an aptitude I guess according to others

meh, you have to apply yourself to get good. Go 2 or 3 nights a week for a few years at least....you can't wuss out like I did

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    I'd like to learn Kung Fu, seems the more honorable and bad-ass

Also, quoting Neo and then beating the piss out of someone would be a dream come true