Thread: PGA/LPGA/Senior/Euro Tour

Basement Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,337 Times in 9,470 Posts
    Some of the LIV players, played at the Open

I believe, they originally said they couldn't play and someone threatened a lawsuit and they changed their mind

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Zounds Tiger Woods turned down $700 million to $800 million to join LIV Golf, CEO Greg Norman says

By Kyle Porter - CBS Sports

The rumors, it appears, were true. Tiger Woods was not only offered a king's ransom to leave the PGA Tour and join LIV Golf, he turned down approximately three-quarters of a billion dollars to do so.

LIV Golf CEO Greg Norman confirmed this week on Fox News that Woods turned down somewhere in the neighborhood of $700 million or $800 million to flip the script on the PGA Tour.

"That number was out there before I became CEO," said Norman. "So, that number has been out there, yes. And look, Tiger is a needle-mover, right? So, of course you are going to look at the best of the best. So, they had originally approached Tiger before I became CEO. So, yes, that [offer was] somewhere in that neighborhood."

Previously, Norman had not confirmed a specific number, only saying that the offer to Woods from LIV was in the "high nine digits."

It was recently announced that Woods has crossed the threshold to become a billionaire, so he didn't necessarily need another $750 million, it's still an eye-popping number to not only be offered but reject. It also would have multiplied his career PGA Tour earnings by a healthy factor.

Woods has made $120.9 million on the PGA Tour. All the other money he's earned has come from off-course endorsements.

It was smart of LIV to offer Woods this much money, and there's probably not a number too high that it wouldn't have been worth it for the league as long as its goal is still to upend the PGA Tour and DP World Tour as the preeminent golf tour in the world. The players they need for that to happen -- the Justin Thomases, Rory McIlroys, Jordan Spieths and Scottie Schefflers -- grew up idolizing Woods. Even if Woods moving over to LIV didn't completely convince them to make the leap, it would at least make them think twice.

Tiger, though, doesn't sound like he ever put much thought into taking the offer. When asked last month at The Open Championship about everyone moving to LIV, he sounded perplexed by the idea, especially considering LIV players currently don't get Official World Golf Rankings points, which might preclude them from playing in future major championships.

"The players who have chosen to go to LIV and ... to play there, I disagree with it," said Woods. "I think that what they've done is they've turned their back on what has allowed them to get to this position. Some players have never got a chance to even experience it. They've gone right from the amateur ranks right into that organization and never really got a chance to play out here and what it feels like to play a Tour schedule or to play in some big events.

"And who knows what's going to happen in the near future with world ranking points, the criteria for entering major championships. The governing body is going to have to figure that out. Some of these players may not ever get a chance to play in major championships. That is a possibility. We don't know that for sure yet. It's up to all the major championship bodies to make that determination. But that is a possibility that some players will never, ever get a chance to play in a major championship, never get a chance to experience this right here, walk down the fairways at Augusta National.

"That, to me, I just don't understand it."

The irony here is that Woods no longer needs OWGR points himself to play major championships. As a winner of all four majors, the 46-year-old is exempt into The Open and the PGA Championship until he's 60, and he's exempt into the Masters for life. His U.S. Open exemption runs for another year, and he will almost certainly receive more exemptions from the USGA after that.

"But what these players are doing for guaranteed money, what is the incentive to practice?" Woods said. "What is the incentive to go out there and earn it in the dirt? You're just getting paid a lot of money up front and playing a few events and playing 54 holes. They're playing blaring music and have all these atmospheres that are different.

"I just don't see how that move is positive in the long term for a lot of these players, especially if the LIV organization doesn't get world-ranking points and the major championships change their criteria for entering the events. It would be sad to see some of these young kids never get a chance to experience it and experience what we've got a chance to experience and walk these hallowed grounds and play in these championships."

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    "But what these players are doing for guaranteed money, what is the incentive to practice?" Woods said. "What is the incentive to go out there and earn it in the dirt? You're just getting paid a lot of money up front and playing a few events and playing 54 holes. They're playing blaring music and have all these atmospheres that are different.
    Man this is so tough. It is kind of unfair IMO for Tiger to say 'earn it in the dirt' - he's able to actually do it. As a golf fan, my dad is hard-core anti-LIV for all these reasons too, the 'history and prestige' of the PGA tour, as well as it being dirty money. He hates this LIV stuff.

But for other guys where LIV is clearly a massive lifestyle boost, how can I judge? If I'm some low to mid-tier PGA guy, or at the trail and of my career and haven't made Tiger money... I'd by lying if I said I wouldn't want the payday.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    interestingly, there is a huge wave of funding for basic science research (like what i do in my lab that requires competing for federal grant dollars) coming from saudia arabia in the not too distant future. the field is very divided on whether to go after it or not. it's very similar to the LIV. my lab is not in trouble right now so i am not planning to go after it. if the situation changes and getting grant funding becomes even more difficult, i might have to think about it

5. The Following User Says Thank You to deebakes For This Useful Post:

Godfather (08-04-2022)

Basement Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Man this is so tough. It is kind of unfair IMO for Tiger to say 'earn it in the dirt' - he's able to actually do it. As a golf fan, my dad is hard-core anti-LIV for all these reasons too, the 'history and prestige' of the PGA tour, as well as it being dirty money. He hates this LIV stuff.

But for other guys where LIV is clearly a massive lifestyle boost, how can I judge? If I'm some low to mid-tier PGA guy, or at the trail and of my career and haven't made Tiger money... I'd by lying if I said I wouldn't want the payday.
    I am the same, 100%, hate the thought of another tour after all these years watching the PGA, but like you say, playing as a low earning tour pro and get offered 30m, I am in!

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fodster View Post
    I am the same, 100%, hate the thought of another tour after all these years watching the PGA, but like you say, playing as a low earning tour pro and get offered 30m, I am in!
    Right?

I think the fundamental problem is that the PGA is a non-profit. Run it like a real for-profit business and you'll save it. It's not as easy as flipping the switch, they'd have to make some real changes too to make it more interesting to fans. Some of the mid-season non-major tournaments frankly just suck. I once went to the Canadian Open and it was a snooze fest. A bunch of big names skipped because a major was the next week, it was dull for fans, just not a good experience at all.

Have more events like the Ryder cup with teams and rivalries. Have less events but make them more fun for younger fans to get invested in. The PGA is too puritan to thrive in this age IMO.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

Fodster (08-08-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Federal judge rejects bid by three LIV golfers to compete in FedEx Cup playoffs

Mark Schlabach - ESPN Senior Writer

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- A federal judge on Tuesday denied a temporary restraining order to three golfers who were seeking to participate in the FedEx Cup Playoffs after leaving the PGA Tour for the upstart LIV Golf Invitational Series.

The players, Talor Gooch, Matt Jones and Hudson Swafford, were seeking relief to participate in the first leg of the playoffs, at this week's FedEx St. Jude Championship at TPC Southwind.

The top 125 players in the FedEx Cup standings are eligible to compete in the FedEx St. Jude Championship. Gooch is 20th in the standings, Jones is 65th and Swafford is 67th. PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan suspended the players after they appeared in LIV Golf tournaments without conflicting-event releases from the tour.

U.S. District Court Judge Beth Labson Freeman, of the Northern District of California, ruled that the LIV players had not made their case of irreparable harm and agreed with the tour's position that the players' argument for emergency relief was of "their own making."

"It appears to the court that the LIV contracts, negotiated by the players and consummated between the parties, were based upon the players' calculation of what they would be leaving behind and the amount the players would need to monetize to compensate for those losses," Freeman said in her ruling. "I do agree with the defendants [the PGA Tour] that those losses were well known to the players at the time and clearly monetized."

Freeman noted that LIV Golf affords the suspended players an opportunity to play elite golf in the United States with guaranteed pay. "And, in fact, the evidence shows that it seems almost without a doubt that they will be earning more than they have made and could reasonably have expected to make in a reasonable amount of time under the PGA [Tour]."

"They made a business decision to receive money," PGA Tour lawyer Elliot Peters argued during the hearing. "They have made in the last two months more money than they've ever made on the PGA Tour. They have already been paid to compensate for what they are here complaining about."

LIV Golf officials said in a statement they were "disappointed" at Freeman's decision. "No one gains by banning golfers from playing," the statement read.

The PGA Tour said in a statement, "With today's news, our players, fans and partners can now focus on what really matters over the next three weeks: the best players in the world competing in the FedExCup Playoffs, capping off an incredibly compelling season with the crowning of the FedExCup champion at the TOUR Championship."

Gooch, Jones and Swafford and eight other LIV Golf players, including Phil Mickelson and Bryson DeChambeau, filed an antitrust lawsuit against the PGA Tour in federal court last week.

Freeman told attorneys that her court's first availability for a trial on the antitrust lawsuit would be September 2023. If that date doesn't work, the trial might not happen until 2025. That is significant because LIV players aren't currently receiving Official World Golf Ranking points for LIV events. LIV Golf recently submitted an application to OWGR for consideration.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Fodster (08-12-2022), Godfather (08-13-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts

Basement Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Fuck em all! Cunts. They want their cake! Fair play to the PGA standing up!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fodster For This Useful Post:

Godfather (08-13-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yup, I'm fine with that. Can't have your cake and eat it too. You go play in Europe for hockey and your team doesn't still get to compete for the Stanley Cup either. Simple as that. I'm still riding the fence on the LIV tour but I absolutely think the PGA should defend itself against guys who want it both ways.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

Fodster (08-18-2022)

Basement Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Its hotting up, lawsuits flying around everywhere!

Tiger involved!

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/golf-202...005711518.html

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Fodster For This Useful Post:

Godfather (08-18-2022)

Basement Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Plenty more jumping ship and now the PGA have found extra money they can give in prize money ...

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Oops Arkansas man suing country club after they refuse to give him the truck they promised as a hole-in-one prize

By Coleman Bentley - Golf Digest

Buckle up, folks. We have a hole-in-one car controversy brewing in Arkansas! This week, a Conway man by the name of Austin Clagett filed a lawsuit against Morrilton Country Club. Clagett played in the club’s “Tournament of the Century” on Saturday, a three-person scramble format with a buy-in of $375. Before the tournament, Morrilton Country Club promoted a 2022 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercrew as a prize for the first person to hit a hole-in-one of the course’s 10th hole. That truck had a sticker of prize of $53,595 and was allegedly donated by nearby Ford dealership Jay Hodge Ford of Morriltown. So far, so good.

But here’s where the problems start. Against all odds, Clagett went out and aced the 10th hole. According to reports, it was a good, clean ace. It didn’t happen on a provisional. It didn’t happen out of turn. A letter-of-the-law "one." When Clagett went to claim his new ride after round, however, Morrilton Country Club wouldn’t turn over the keys.

Clagett’s lawyer Andrew Norwood issued the following statement on behalf of his client:

“This is about doing what is right. Mr. Clagett lived up to his end of the deal when he got the hole-in-one and now Morrilton Country Club and Jay Hodge Ford of Morrilton want to crawfish out of the deal. If they didn’t want to pay up when Mr. Clagett got a hole-in-one, they shouldn’t have offered the deal.”

Crawfish! In Arkansas, that’s how you know someone means business. Jay Hodge Ford says they were unable to secure the necessary insurance for the vehicle in time because they believed the vehicle was for display purposes only. Without their knowledge, Morrilton Country Club promoted the pickup as a hole-in-one prize, perhaps thinking no one would actually make a hole-in-one, a decision which has now backfired spectacularly.

Where this goes from here is anybody’s guess, but it sure sounds like somebody, somewhere is going to owe Clagett a new whip.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Godfather (10-14-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Ya somebody owes that guy a truck, hope he wins.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (10-14-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Ya somebody owes that guy a truck, hope he wins.
    No kidding. A lot of golfers will NEVER ace a hole, and this guy did it by the rules on the hole where you can win a truck. To renege on that is ridiculous and none of their excuses hold water. Give him his truck.