#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Mickelson's streak of 26 years in the top 50 comes to an end

The Associated Press

The streak ended with little fanfare, and that was just fine with Phil Mickelson.

He slashed his way to a tie for 28th in the HSBC Champions, with only 100 or so fans following along. Mickelson played his last nine holes right behind Rory McIlroy, but only because Lefty was in the first group to tee off on the back nine. He signed for a 68 in his final round of the year.

The number that stands out is No. 51, his position this week in the Official World Golf Ranking.

For the first time in nearly 26 years — 1,353 weeks to be exact — Mickelson is no longer among the top 50 in the world.

"It was a good run," Mickelson said Sunday. "Unfortunately, the last eight months I played terribly and have fallen out. But I'll get back in there."

The question is whether anyone can ever match it.

Jordan Spieth was not quite 4 months old when Mickelson first cracked the top 50 on Nov. 23, 1993, with a runner-up finish in the Casio World Open. Deane Beman was the commissioner of the PGA Tour.

Rory McIlroy compared Mickelson's streak to Tiger Woods going 142 starts on the PGA Tour over seven years without missing a cut.

"Being top 50 in the world since 1993, that means no injuries, no breaks, that is nothing," McIlroy said. "Play your game, keep going."

That's all Mickelson has done.

He never reached No. 1 in the world, mainly because of Woods, partly because Mickelson was not on top of his game when Woods fell off and created an opportunity. Then again, Mickelson never won a PGA Tour money title or was voted PGA Tour player of the year.

His hallmark is consistently great play, and it is unrivaled.

"It's pretty amazing given he was there into his 40s like that, with how much time is taken from golf with your family," Spieth said. "You're not as sharp because you're not doing it as often. I give him more credit in the last seven to 10 years."

Mickelson nearly fell out at the start of 2018, and then he ran off four straight top 10s, culminating with his third World Golf Championships title in Mexico City. He reached No. 17 with his victory at the Pebble Beach Pro-Am in February — his seventh win in his 40s, including a major — and was hopeful of a big year.

He hasn't finished better than a tie for 18th since then.

McIlroy is completing his 11th year in the top 50 — he first cracked the top 50 with a runner-up finish in Hong Kong in 2008 — and that's now the longest current streak. For everyone else but Mickelson, it seemed something always would go wrong, whether it was injury (Woods) or a spell of bad play (Adam Scott, Sergio Garcia, Justin Rose).

No one thought Woods would drop from the top 50 — much less No. 1, a spot he twice held for five straight years — until his personal life imploded and then his legs broke down, and his streak of 15 years in the top 50 ended in 2011.

The secret?

It starts with great golf, and Mickelson is among the best to ever play.

"You have to have good balance," Mickelson said. "Amy (his wife) is a big part of that, having a good balance of family and playing schedule, so when I do play I'm focused. Having kids on the road early in my career was a big thing.

"For the most part, it's having the desire to work on it, and having passion for it and love it and enjoying it and competing."

McIlroy believes the record can be matched, and he thinks it goes beyond staying injury-free. McIlroy had back trouble very early in his career, and he missed a chunk of time in early 2017 with a rib injury, only the second time he went through an entire year without winning.

"I would have said that a few years ago," McIlroy said about injuries. "But I feel as good as I ever have."

He also is 30. What will he say 10 years from now?

"Hopefully, what Tom Brady says," McIlroy replied, referring to the 42-year-old New England Patriots quarterback. "I feel better than when I came into the league."

McIlroy says a family and shifting priorities could become more of an obstacle than injuries, which impresses him about Mickelson.

Spieth is more impressed with Mickelson having played on the last 24 teams for the Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup, another streak that is ending. Mickelson qualified for 19 consecutive teams and only recently had to rely on a pick. But those streaks go hand in hand.

"You're not going to make teams if you're not top 50, or top 20 even," Mickelson said.

That's where Mickelson could be found for three weeks shy of 26 years, and even though the streak is done, Mickelson says he is not.

He already is talking about making the next Ryder Cup team.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

SOLHEIM CUP TO MOVE TO EVEN YEARS STARTING IN 2024

LPGA Press Release

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla., Nov. 16, 2020 – The LPGA and LET today announced that the Solheim Cup, the world’s leading match-play competition for female professional golfers, will move to even years starting in 2024. The 2021 and 2023 competitions will be held in their previously announced dates and locations in Ohio and Spain, respectively, with back-to-back playings in 2023 and 2024.

The Solheim Cup Committee approved the change to even years following the announcement that the Ryder Cup will move to an odd-year schedule, after the 2020 competition was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The specific dates and location for the 2024 Solheim Cup, which will be held in the United States, will be announced in the future.

“With the world sporting schedule changing so much due to current difficulties, we felt it was in the best interest of the Solheim Cup to return to an off-year rotation with the Ryder Cup,” said Dennis Baggett, Executive Director of the Solheim Cup. “When the competition returns to the United States in 2024, I have no doubt fans will have an incredible opportunity to celebrate the best women golfers from the United States and Europe as they represent their home countries.”

The 2021 Solheim Cup will take place Sept. 4-6 at Inverness Club in Toledo, Ohio. USA Captain Pat Hurst, along with Assistant Captains Angela Stanford and Michelle Wie West (a third assistant captain will be named in 2021), will lead the best players from the United States as they look to reclaim the Solheim Cup on home soil. Europe will once again be helmed by Captain Catriona Matthew, with Vice Captains Laura Davies, Kathryn Imrie and Suzann Pettersen by her side. Pettersen ended her playing career in style at the 2019 Solheim Cup at Gleneagles in Scotland, scoring the winning point in the final putt of the final match and announcing her retirement at Team Europe’s celebratory post-win press conference.

The 2023 Solheim Cup will be held Sept. 22-24 at Finca Cortesin in Andalucia, Spain. One week later, the Ryder Cup will be held in Italy, giving European sports fans a rare two-week spectacle of competition and patriotic fervor.

With a full week of action set to take place at the 2021 Solheim Cup, fans can purchase various ticket and hospitality packages to enjoy every activity in Toledo at Inverness Club. New in 2021 is the Solheim Pavilion, which will give ticketholders a 300-degree view of the surrounding holes, upgraded food and beverage options and much more. Information on ticket options and prices is available at SolheimCupUSA.com.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Goofy (11-20-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

And then he did it again on Sunday in the final round

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

FBD (03-10-2021), Godfather (03-10-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Bryson has rocks for his brain, but damn is he entertaining

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,822 Times in 3,934 Posts
    Tough to do 310 in the air, I used to be able to do it

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    That's impressive, I'd kill to ever drive 300 or even 275 consistently for that matter

20 years ago it was only Daly driving 300 on average. A decade ago there were still maybe only a dozen guys averaging 300 yard drives, but now it's the norm.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Godfather (03-12-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Ya I think the top 80-ish guys are averaging 300+ now on that first list eh?

If you set the year back to 2010 or so, I think it's only 6 or 8 driving 300 on average. Wild. I'm sure club technology is a big part too.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Ya I think the top 80-ish guys are averaging 300+ now on that first list eh?

If you set the year back to 2010 or so, I think it's only 6 or 8 driving 300 on average. Wild. I'm sure club technology is a big part too.
    Close, it was 12 players back in 2010:

And then go back 10 more years:

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Hideki Matsuyama won the Masters and became the first Japanese man to win a major. Had tears in his eyes after he putted out. As always what a great tournament. Feels like you've gone back in time with that scenery and the piano music playing. Definitely a life goal to get tickets one day, I enter the lottery most years so we'll see.

Was pulling for young Will Zalatoris too but I think he's got a big career ahead of him.

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Hideki Matsuyama won the Masters and became the first Japanese man to win a major. Had tears in his eyes after he putted out. As always what a great tournament. Feels like you've gone back in time with that scenery and the piano music playing. Definitely a life goal to get tickets one day, I enter the lottery most years so we'll see.

Was pulling for young Will Zalatoris too but I think he's got a big career ahead of him.
    I felt a bit sorry for Xander Schauffle, was on a charge, then one slight mistake, triple bogey, game over

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    I felt a bit sorry for Xander Schauffle, was on a charge, then one slight mistake, triple bogey, game over
    Agreed, when he went in the drink on 16 I was crushed for him.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Drama Brooks Koepka loses train of thought during interview, rolls eyes when Bryson DeChambeau walks by

By Ryan Gaydos | Fox News

Brooks Koepka and Bryson DeChambeau’s rivalry on and off the golf course has been well documented and a video shared on social media on Monday night underscored the intensity between the two.

The video appeared to show Koepka about to do an interview with the GOLF Channel after finishing tied for second at the PGA Championship behind Phil Mickelson who became the oldest golfer to win a major. Koepka was about to answer a question when DeChambeau appeared to walk in the shot behind him.

Koepka was asked what he was able to do well.

"I didn’t putt well but I don’t think any of the guys were going to putt well with this wind. It’s very tough. I don’t know what the other guys have said or … I just found it difficult to read sometimes …"

Koepka lost his train of thought and closed his eyes in disgust as DeChambeau stared to walk by. He took a big sigh and rolled his eyes.

"…. Sometimes, um … I lost my train of thought, yeah. Hearing that bulls—t."

WARNING EXPLICIT LANGUAGE

He appeared to mutter "f—king Christ" under his breath.

The two have a noted rivalry. Koepka complained in January 2019 about DeChambeau’s pace on the course. DeChambeau admitted in October 2020 he tried to break the ice between themselves but apparently to no avail.

With two major tournaments down and two still ahead, the rivalry between the two is certainly not simmering down any time soon.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    A few years back, I bit on some stupid rumors that Phil wasn't a great guy because a couple guys on tour talked some shit.... I think I was completely wrong about him, he's awesome.

If it wasn't for Tiger, I'm sure he'd be known as the greatest golfer in generations.

This is really a nice recap of how great he is with fans

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

FBD (06-01-2021), Fodster (06-02-2021), Teh One Who Knocks (05-28-2021)