'bout time Ruby got back in the saddle and made me some money

FEARS that Ruby Walsh's longer-than expected recovery from injury could put his chances of making the Cheltenham Festival in jeopardy were eased by the sidelined jockey on Thursday.

When he suffered a double fracture of his right leg on November 6, Walsh predicted he would be out for around 12 weeks - but that early-February comeback has not materialised.

Both Britain and Ireland's champion trainers, Paul Nicholls and Willie Mullins, rely on the services of Walsh, and they - and the legions of punters who follow his rides - will have been cheered by his aim of returning to action by the end of the month.

Walsh told the Racing Post: "Things are going well. I went back for another check-up on my leg on Wednesday and my doctor is very happy with the way it's progressing.

"I'm really looking forward to getting back race-riding, and if things continue to go well I would expect to be back in action before the end of the month."

That could put Walsh in the frame to ride Racing Post Chase favourite Fistral Beach for Nicholls at Kempton on February 26, while 24 hours later Leopardstown hosts its annual pre-festival workout, whena number of Cheltenham hopefuls are put through their paces.

Walsh, who has played a major role in the huge successes Nicholls and Mullins have enjoyed at Cheltenham, can look forward to resuming his partnershipwith a host of top horses, among them dual Totesport Gold Cup winner Kauto Star, dual Ladbrokes World Hurdle winner Big Buck's and Sportingbet.com Queen Mother Champion Chase winner Master Minded for Nicholls, plus Mikael D'Haguenet and Quevega, both festival winners for Mullins.

He is already the most successful rider in festival history - his three winners in 2010 took him ahead of Pat Taaffe on 27 - and is 6-5 favourite with Bet365 to be top jockey again, despite his long absence.

Walsh added: "I have another appointment for a further check-up in two weeks' time, and will know more then. If it is not the end of the month, I will be looking at early March.

"I haven't ridden out yet but hope to be doing so quite soon, probably in the next couple of weeks."

Walsh suffered his injury in a fall from the Tony Martin-trained Corrick Bridge in a handicap chase at Down Royal after riding a double for Nicholls on Kauto Star in the Grade 1 JNwine.com Champion Chase and The Nightingale in a Grade 2 on the same card.

Nicholls initially turned principally to Noel Fehily in Walsh's absence, but Fehily has not ridden since before Christmas owing to a wrist injury, and he will be out of the saddle until after Cheltenham.

Nicholls said on Thursday night: "Ruby always said he would be back by March and it's very good news he will be riding for us at the festival."