#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

Politics Pundits Agree: Romney Wins Round One—and It Wasn't Even Close

By Daniel Politi - Slate.com

Let no one doubt New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie again. He went offscript last weekend, predicting that the narrative of the race would change Thursday morning. And lo and behold, he was right. At least for a little while, the chattering class will put a pause on all the talk about how Mitt Romney is falling behind in the polls to talk about how he managed to beat President Obama at the podium. Romney went on the offensive, forcing the president, who looked none too happy to even be there, to defend his policies. And perhaps most perplexing of all, Obama failed to mention the infamous 47-percent remark and Bain Capital, two issues that his campaign has been hammering home for months. Let’s take a look at some commentary.

Obama, like other presidents before him, “fell victim … to high expectations, a short fuse, and a hungry challenger,” writes the National Journal’s Ron Fournier. “Romney smiled and cracked jokes … Obama smirked.” It seems commentators didn’t need to watch until the end to come to that conclusion. Buzzfeed’s Ben Smith called the debate for Romney some 40 minutes in, saying the Republican’s “core success was that he won by not losing.” In Time’s Mark Halperin’s report card, it wasn’t even close. Romney got an A-, while Obama received a B-.

Although Romney may have not offered details about his plans that political junkies wanted, “someone tuning in for the first time, would surely have come away feeling that Romney was the candidate with a firm grasp of what he wanted to do and Obama the guy slightly out of his depth,” points out Bloomberg Businessweek’s Joshua Green. Indeed, writes the New York Daily News’ Joshua Greenman, Romney was “more incisive, more fluid and good-natured through it all,” and managed to be tough “without being vicious or disrespectful.”

Part of the problem was that Obama got on the wrong side of what the Washington Post’s Chris Cillizza calls the “fine line between sober/serious and grim/uninterested.” He seemed to be taking on the same persona that worked for him in 2008 when he was an untested leader and was eager to prove he was ready for the job. “But now that he has been in the job for four years, Obama’s demeanor came across far less well.” The Chicago Tribune throws Obama what might be the ultimate insult, describing him as “that guy at the meeting who’s surreptitiously checking his email.”

Even Democrats were not too impressed with Obama’s debate performance. “Energy and focus all in Romney’s hands on this,” writes Talking Point Memo’s Josh Marshall, pointing out that even though Romney repeatedly “left himself open to wounding hits from the president,” Obama chose to “not go there.”

John Hinderaker at Power Line, a conservative blog, is veritably giddy: “It wasn’t a TKO, it was a knockout.” Romney “was the alpha male, while Barack Obama was weak, hesitant, stuttering, often apologetic.”

There were “no haymaker punches thrown and not much in the way of one-line zingers,” write Steve Holland and John Witesides at Reuters. “Romney, however, may have done himself some favors with crisper answers than Obama, who sounded professorial and a bit long-winded.” What’s undoubtedly frustrating for Democrats is that this was exactly the thing many had warned the president about before the debate.

And what seems to be, so far at least, the pretty unanimous view that Obama lost the debate may hurt him more than how he actually did at the podium. “Much worse for Obamas than the debate is the media's harsh verdict on his debate performance,” writes the Washington Post’s Ezra Klein on Twitter.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 800 Posts
    Obama got his ass handed to him.

I can't wait for Ryan vs Biden.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acid Trip For This Useful Post:

FBD (10-04-2012), Loser (10-05-2012)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    I thought the debate was civil and they both hit the same points about 35 times..

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyGut View Post
    I thought the debate was civil and they both hit the same points about 35 times..
    Civil yes, but man did Obama look defeated. He stuttered, stammered, and told the same sad stories for the 100th time. Then when Romney spoke he stared at the podium and clenched his jaw every time Romney hit a talking point.

Romney rarely looked down and directed all his comments directly at Obama. You'd think someone would have taught Obama the basics of debating.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Trip View Post
    Civil yes, but man did Obama look defeated. He stuttered, stammered, and told the same sad stories for the 100th time. Then when Romney spoke he stared at the podium and clenched his jaw every time Romney hit a talking point.

Romney rarely looked down and directed all his comments directly at Obama. You'd think someone would have taught Obama the basics of debating.
    what else can you do when empirical reality doesnt back you in the least? you can simply look sad and defeated like obama did.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 863 Posts
    Is an ass-whuppin' covered by ObamaCare?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Barack Obama and Mitt Romney's Presidential Debate: Celebs Weigh In

By Justin Ravitz - Us Weekly

Wednesday night's first presidential debate of 2012, in which President Barack Obama and Republican hopeful Mitt Romney duked it out, inspired a lot of, well, debate!

Moderated -- some say poorly -- by PBS' Jim Lehrer, the much-anticipated discussion covered the candidates' views on the economy, health care, the role of government and more. Much of Hollywood weighed in on the debate via Twitter, with widely-ranging views on Obama and Romney's notably different debate styles, Lehrer's difficulties and some of the more memorable sound bytes of the evening (including Romney's Big Bird mention!).

Here, Us Weekly rounds up a handful of the celeb tweets from Wednesday's debate.

John Cusack: "Watching the debates -- it's so strange the president seems almost apologetic about his policies that help people and didn't call out Romney"

Trevor Donovan: "I think Clint Eastwood's empty chair showed up tonight in Denver......"

Jesse Tyler Ferguson: "Is that a tiny distant violin telling me to wrap up my speech? Oh no, it's just Jim Lehrer."

Kate Walsh: "Mitt Romney will abolish PBS...but he DOES like Big Bird and Jim Lehrer. Thank God The Count's not alive to see this."

Elisabeth Hasselbeck: "Both are good men. #Debate2012 but we need a great president. #It's not about liking Obama - It's about needing Romney"

Lisa Vanderpump: "Wow presidential debate was pretty interesting,but think @BravoAndy should host the next one,then we could really get into it #hearthetruth"

Kathy Griffin: "Aww s**. Romney did the Nixon upper lip wipe. I think his "I'm taking away Big Bird" statement just sunk in"

Ivanka Trump: "#Romney really rose to the occasion tonight! #BigNight #Debate2012 #debate #CantAfford4More"

Gilles Marini: "Just watched the #Debates . Well I wish they were saying what they really think! Way to blurry and walking on eggs. I wanted more!"

Aubrey O'Day: "#debate: I didn't learn anything new. Romney was solid (but my expectations were low). Obama didn't come hard enough, he seemed listless. :/"

Sherri Shepherd: " If you were for Mitt b4 the #debates you're still w Mitt... if you're #TeamObama then despite tonight's weaknesses your mind hasn't changed"

Kirstie Alley: "Not usually this politically general... but debate was lack luster at best... Bill Clinton.. show em how it's done!!!"

Joy Behar: "Romney was aggressive and still not likeable. #current2012"

Rob Lowe: "Worst moderator ever."

Sarah Silverman: "U can't say we have religious freedom AND that we're all children of the same God, Bro!!"

Olivia Wilde: "We know you'd rather have a private plan, Mitt, to go with your private plane, and your private planet when your battery dies. #debate2012"

Bob Saget: "I'm really enjoying these debates. I can't wait til they have the swimsuit competition."

Eva Longoria: "I'm in New Zealand watching the presidential debate! Obama is killing it on health care! #Obama2012."

Lady Gaga: "I believe its important to note before this begins that Romney is a millionaire and paid well below the average tax rate, paying only 13.9%."

Albert Brooks: "Next debate will be moderated by Miss Piggy before she loses her job . .. Between these two explanations of health care I don't know what the fuck is happening."

Mark Ruffalo: "#Romney Okay. This is a great performance. I almost believed that Mitt cares about the hurting 47% that he said he didn't care about. Oscar?" And: "What I think is going to be awesome to see is how Obama deals with tonight. The next debate is going to rock. Rocky Balboa??"

Chris Rock: "Obama is waiting for the right moment to pull out Bin Laden's skull from behind the podium. Wait for it. Wait for it... #debate#PresDebate."

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    @ Chris Rock..

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    I thought Romneys respect for Obama as the president when he spoke to him gave him a huge edge in likability

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

Acid Trip (10-04-2012), FBD (10-04-2012), Loser (10-05-2012), Teh One Who Knocks (10-04-2012)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    I thought Romneys respect for Obama as the president when he spoke to him gave him a huge edge in likability

And it was completely disrespectful of Obama to not look at Romney.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    Agreed..

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Just shows how fucking stupid celebrities are. Half of them are complaining about PBS when the point of that remark was wasteful spending we cannot afford.

Why borrow money from China for a shit network like PBS? It's just not worth it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Trip View Post
    Just shows how fucking stupid celebrities are. Half of them are complaining about PBS when the point of that remark was wasteful spending we cannot afford.

Why borrow money from China for a shit network like PBS? It's just not worth it.
    I love PBS, it's far from a shit network unless you really love Honey Boo Boo and the likes... Should it be subsidized? No.