Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Romantic moment or sex assault? Feminist blogger slams 'Kissing Sailor' from iconic 1945 Times Square photo as 'drunken predator'

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

Stupid Romantic moment or sex assault? Feminist blogger slams 'Kissing Sailor' from iconic 1945 Times Square photo as 'drunken predator'

By Snejana Farberov - The Daily Mail

The indelible photo depicting a sailor kissing a nurse in the middle of Times Square to celebrate the end of World War II has long been considered one of the most iconic images of the 20th century, but was it a romantic gesture or something far more sinister?

According to one feminist blogger, the answer is the latter. The London-based writer known as 'Leopard' caused a stir online after penning a post decrying what she consider the glorification of sexual assault.

The image captured by LIFE photographer Alfted Eisenstaedt portrays an American sailor kissing a woman in a white dress on August 14, 1945, in a moment of jubilation on Victory over Japan Day in the heart of New York City.

The identities of the 'lovers' locking lips amid a large crowd have been shrouded in mystery, but after decades of speculation, the couple were revealed to be 89-year-old George Mendonsa and Greta Zimmer Friedman.

The surprise twist behind the celebrated image that came to symbolize the end of the war is that Mendonsa and Friedman were complete strangers at the time the picture was taken.

The young sailor had apparently grabbed the pretty nurse walking down the street at random and planted a kiss on her lips in a moment of exuberance.

What’s more, the 22-year-old Mendonsa was on a first date with another woman, Rita Petry, who later married the man who will go down in history as the ‘Kissing Sailor.’

According to the feminist blogger, the iconic image betrays that ‘something is not quiet right.’

‘We learn that George and Greta were perfect strangers. We learn that George was drunk, and that Greta had no idea of his presence, until she was in his arms, with his lips on hers… It seems pretty clear, then, what George had committed was sexual assault.”

The blog Feministing.com embraced the sexual assault premise, claiming that a closer look at the picture reveals corroborating evidence of the ‘crime’ that took place in 1945 in the middle of Times Square.

The writer points to the smirks on the faces of other sailors seen in the background; the firm grasp around the physically smaller woman in Mendonsa’s arms keeping her from escaping; the woman’s clenched first and limp body.

‘If there is a better symbol for how messed up our ideas about sex and romance are, I can’t think of one,’ the Feministing blogger writes.

According to the feminist blogger, the iconic image betrays that ‘something is not quiet right.’

‘We learn that George and Greta were perfect strangers. We learn that George was drunk, and that Greta had no idea of his presence, until she was in his arms, with his lips on hers… It seems pretty clear, then, what George had committed was sexual assault.”

The blog Feministing.com embraced the sexual assault premise, claiming that a closer look at the picture reveals corroborating evidence of the ‘crime’ that took place in 1945 in the middle of Times Square.

The writer points to the smirks on the faces of other sailors seen in the background; the firm grasp around the physically smaller woman in Mendonsa’s arms keeping her from escaping; the woman’s clenched first and limp body.

‘If there is a better symbol for how messed up our ideas about sex and romance are, I can’t think of one,’ the Feministing blogger writes.

'Leopard writes in her blog, 'The unwillingness to recognize a problem here is not surprising, considering the rape culture in which we live.

'It is not easy to assert that a woman’s body is always her own, not to be used at the whim of any man without her consent. It is far easier to turn a blind eye to the feelings of women, to claim that they should [empathize] with the man, that they should be good sports and just go along with it.’

This is not the first time that someone raised concerns over the 'Kissing Sailor' photo.

In 2005, the Veterans History Project from the Library of Congress interviewed Friedman about the world-famous smooch.

‘It wasn't my choice to be kissed,’ she said then. ‘The guy just came over and grabbed!’

In a more recent interview Friedman recalled, ‘That man was very strong. I wasn’t kissing him. He was kissing me,’ she told the New York Post.

The kissing ‘couple’ have met several times over the years. Most recently, the two reunited in mid-August to talk about the photograph.

‘It was the moment. You come back from the Pacific, and finally, the war ends,' Mendonsa told CBS.

Mendonsa recalled how he was on a date with his future wife, Petry, at Radio City Music Hall on August 14 when news of the Japanese surrender was announced.

'They stopped the show and they said, "The war is over. The Japanese have surrendered,"' he recalled.

Mendonsa and his date rushed to a nearby bar where the sailor admits he ‘popped quite a few drinks.’

As they set on their way, Mendonsa spotted a woman in a nurse’s uniform - he left Petry and rushed to grab her.

'The excitement of the war being over, plus I had a few drinks,' he told CBS. 'So when I saw the nurse, I grabbed her, and I kissed her.'

Friedman, who turned out to be a dental nurse from Austria, said, 'I did not see him approaching, and before I know it, I was in this vice grip.’

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    the atrocity

He who laughs, lasts. Noilly Pratt's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 705 Posts
    Let's have "Leopard" go through a war, experience near-death and then the jubilation that what you fought for is won...

I remember being at a New Year's Eve house party. I did NOT want to be there as my Mom had passed away on Jan 5th the previous year. I had about 4 drinks and at midnight, everyone was hugging each other, wishing each other Happy New Year, and I went over to someone I didn't know, our eyes met, she gave me the biggest smile and I gave her a fairly passionate kiss.

She said to my friend, the host, as she was leaving the party "You tell that friend of yours he's one great kisser!"

Heat of the moment stuff...

Signature created way-back-when by Goofy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Noilly Pratt For This Useful Post:

FBD (10-08-2012)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    It was the end of a world war where countless people all over the globe had suffered and died...

In 1945 the picture was a celebration of life...today it's been downgraded to sexual assault

I bet she felt more excitement, than violation at the time....

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Who gives a fuck what some "feminist blogger" thinks?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

RBP (10-09-2012)

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Lance does

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    she was asking for it

I can't believe I posted that

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    whore..

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I've kissed strangers on New Years Eve.......most guys were ok with it

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I've kissed strangers on New Years Eve.......most guys were ok with it
    Did you use tongue?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tehlancinator View Post
    Did you use tongue?
    that would be gay

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    so when does this dude go to jail?

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Everything would be fine if she was making dinner

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    Everything would be fine if she was making dinner
    Most feminists annoy the fuck out of me.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Most feminists annoy the fuck out of me.
    just because they won't fuck you