#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,103 Times in 59,908 Posts

Sex China's sex addicts struggle to find help

By Yang Wanli and Tang Yue - China Daily/Asia News Network

BEIJING, China - "Sex addiction" is a subject that often prompts ribaldry rather than sympathy, especially if a Hollywood star is involved. For many people it's the butt of crude jokes, but those who feel themselves afflicted are often confused, ashamed, dispirited and horrified.

Shi Bin's aggressive appearance - a fingernail-sized piercing in his left earlobe and a brace of tongue studs - is at odds with his gentle manner.

However, the 21-year-old admitted that his "punk appearance" hinted at "a demon" inside, one he has been reluctant to acknowledge openly - an addiction to sex.

Shi said he's struggling between the frequent urges and the accompanying physical or psychological problems, but he is unable to find help. The exact number of sex addicts in China is unknown because no surveys have ever been conducted on the issue.

Those who believe themselves to be in its thrall say they are ashamed, and few care to speak out or seek medical assistance, even though the condition makes them feel isolated and depressed.

There has not been a great deal of academic study or research into the topic, said Huang Yingying, deputy director of the Institute of Sexuality and Gender at Renmin University of China.

She said it is not a social problem at the moment, but there are no reliable figures in China, because of the difficulty of conducting investigations and surveys into the subject.

One-night stands

Shi has masturbated as often as seven times a day since the age of 15 and has frequently indulged in one-night stands. During his senior high school years, he often had affairs with married women.

He lived with his girlfriend at college and said they made love almost every day, but when the relationship ended earlier this year, the maniac masturbation returned.

"When it (the desire to masturbate) arose, it was just so hard to resist. I always struggled for a couple of hours before surrendering. Then I did it again and again," said Shi in a soft voice.

"I always felt tired and weak for the next few days and found it hard to concentrate at work."

Guilt

Sometimes the urge arrived when he was in the office or traveling home.

He didn't literally stop working or get off the train to act on the urge, but often spent 30 minutes or even longer indulging his fantasies.

The physical fatigue resulting from overwhelming lust arrives and recedes, but the shame and guilt never stop.

"I believe in Buddhism. It is wrong to be greedy and indulge oneself in sex. I've tried abstaining now and then, but it never lasted long," he said.

"I don't approve of premarital sex, but I failed to abide by that principle as well. I don't know why we (he and his ex-girlfriend) made love again and again. It made me feel the relationship was all about sex, but I didn't know how to start a conversation (to address the situation)."

Shi and his friends sometimes discussed their sex lives and he tried to explain his problem, but no one took him seriously: "They just said jokingly, 'Brother, you are a superman!' What could I say?"

Sexual chat rooms

He found people who claimed to be in a similar situation online. But a lot of the chat groups just turned out to be forums for arranging single encounters and even group sex.

Shi insisted that he never succumbed to the temptation, although the groups made it easy to find people with similar impulses.

In the chat rooms, people shared their various sexual experiences and their hunger for more sex, topics that are rarely broached in public.

Most of those who claimed to be sex addicts had one-night stands with strangers. Some felt guilty about their desires or experiences with people they didn't love.

However, many admitted their sense of wrongdoing derived from uncomfortable physical conditions, such as back pain, fatigue and an inability to concentrate, rather than psychological promptings.

Online chat rooms and social networking sites provide an outlet for many who claim sex addiction.

Sina Weibo, China's Twitter-like site, has dozens of users with pseudonyms such as "Sex Addict" or "Sex Addiction".

5 men, 1 night

"I'm a sex addict", wrote one 25-year-old woman, who claimed she has been addicted for three or four years. After breaking up with her boyfriend during her sophomore year at college, she felt a much stronger sexual desire than before.

"I had sex with many men after that, including a friend who is also addicted to sex," she wrote. "I cannot stop having sex with other people and I felt guilty after I found a boyfriend a few months ago. If I can't even control my desires and remain loyal to the one I love, I'm just an animal."

She is not alone, apparently. Many other Chinese appear to be concerned about their overt sexual urges.

Almost every social networking chat group with a name such as "Sex Addicts" or variants on the theme consists of around 40 or 50 members, with most saying that they have "excessive" sexual desires, but still feel guilty after one-night stands.

"I sometimes have to make love with different people five times a night, or even more. In the end it isn't a good feeling, but I can't stop until I am physically exhausted," wrote one chat room visitor, under the name "Poor man with too much sex".

Health issues

Shi appears to have an addictive personality. He is a heavy smoker, who sometimes gets through 30 cigarettes a day.

"I know it's bad for my health. But at least it doesn't eat me up inside every day," he said.

Compared with his sexual desires, the addiction to cigarettes makes him feel less guilty because smokers display their addiction in public.

"People talk about smoking and sometimes criticise smokers, but the discussions are often lighthearted and make me feel better," he said.

Hu Peicheng, director of medical psychology at Peking University Health Science Center, warned that excessive sexual activity can affect the reproductive organs, cardiovascular function, and even, in the view of practitioners of traditional Chinese medicine, the kidneys.

Shi said he wants a "normal sex life", but is ashamed to seek medical help, which is difficult to find on the Chinese mainland, anyway.

"I want to quit this addiction and have pondered the causes many times," he said. His parents divorced when he was aged 6 and his memories of childhood are dominated by repeated home moves.

"I had no close friends or a real home before I was 18. The dark side of humanity filled my mind," he said, suggesting that his childhood experiences could be one of the reasons behind his problem.

Lack of recognition

To cure a "disease" that isn't even defined as a medical condition is hard for those who believe themselves to be sex addicts.

The condition is not mentioned in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders in China, which chronicles the entire gamut of recognised mental health issues in the country.

Despite a plethora of "cases" involving Hollywood stars, even the American Psychiatric Association does not recognise sex addiction as a genuine affliction. Therefore, no official diagnostic criteria exist.

The association does, however, provide classifications that are helpful to those seeking to understand sexual behaviour disorders, called paraphilias - stimulation by individuals, situations and even objects that are not normally considered arousing.

Huang from the Institute of Sexuality and Gender said that the concept of sex addiction might soon be discredited anyway, as the medical profession reconsiders what can be defined as a disease, and clears some from the catalog.

In 2001, homosexuality was deleted from the third edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders in China, and the World Health Organisation has also deleted the definition from its catalog of mental illnesses.

"Sex addiction is not recognised as a disease. That's not only in China, but in other countries as well," said Fang Gang, director of Institute of Sexuality and Gender Studies at the Beijing Forestry University.

In his opinion, sex addiction is a concept created by factions such as the extreme right wing or religious groups, as a means of discrediting sex and promoting abstinence.

Fang compared sex addiction with other passions, such as an overwhelming interest in food or autos.

"Every day people want to indulge their passion and do something that has no negative affect on society. The desire to normalize the condition has resulted in those who believe themselves afflicted feeling the need to classify it as a disease and search for a, largely nonexistent, 'cure'," he said.

Friends with 'benefits'

In the eyes of her female friends, Peng Xuanxuan, 26, has a very open attitude toward sex.

In the past three years, while she was studying at graduate school, she maintained a number of relationships with "benefit" friends. The benefit in question being sex lots of it.

Sometimes, she also engaged in one-night stands. Whenever she finished her study assignments, the first idea that came into her mind was hooking up.

She admitted that she was sexually very conservative before arriving at college. "I was very serious about my virginity at that time, but my boyfriend made the experience joyful and romantic." Sex - with her boyfriend, a "benefit" friend or via a one-night stand - made her feel good and gave her bags of energy, she said.

"If we both feel good, I don't think sex bothers anyone. And there's nothing wrong with frequent sex, or as, we say, so-called sex addiction," she said. "It's just like eating; some people eat a little, while others eat more. If sex makes you feel good, loved and energetic, why attribute blame?"

Peng's attitude was echoed by Marty Klein, who has spent 30 years as a certified sex therapist and licensed marriage and family therapist in Palo Alto, California.

In an article called You're Addicted to What? - published in the July/August issue of The Humanist magazine - Klein argued that "sex addiction" is simply a concept utilised by groups such as the religious right to combat perceived liberalism, to refute science and ignite fear.

He said he would never diagnose a patient as suffering from sex addiction, because he doesn't recognise it as a condition.

Instead, Klein believes that the claims derive from people who regret the sexual choices they've made and want to change their lifestyles.

"But since they don't want to stop feeling powerful, attractive or loved, they can't seem to stop the repetitive sex, clumsily designed to replicate those feelings," he said.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    i need to go to china

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    I think that as long as you're honest with your partners, as in, don't have one long term partner and lie to them about your nightly romps with others, this is perfectly fine.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Hello, my name is Demon and I'm a sex addict.

*Jiggles*

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    *chuckles* they dont classify it as a disease or addiction because they havent discovered that the addiction is to dopamine

...same reason "you cant get addicted to weed"....because you "get addicted" to the dopamine rush, the underlying mechanisms...
    Last edited by FBD; 11-05-2012 at 01:42 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FBD View Post
    *chuckles* they dont classify it as a disease or addiction because they havent discovered that the addiction is to dopamine

...same reason "you cant get addicted to weed"....because you "get addicted" to the dopamine rush, the underlying mechanisms...
    whoa I'd dispute this all over the place....weed contains THC which causes physical changes/effects in the brain, blood and organs. When you keep putting the same substance in your body for years and then remove it, there's a physical adjustment because your body was used to operating on the drug in the first place.

eg Why do you your eyes turn red, why do you get hungry, why do you get slower at complex tasks? Why do you get a feeling of euphoria?....all components of the drug making your body feel different. Let's face it....no one would smoke weed if there wasn't a physical effect or change.

I understand the levels of dopamine and serotonin are effected....again, a physical change caused by the drug.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (11-05-2012)

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    keep going, you need to go down a subsystem, you're focusing too much on thc - think endocrine alterations

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    phrase it how you want.....you're putting a substance into your system that changes physical reactions. Over time, your body learns to work with it (years)

remove it after years of use and the withdrawal is quite pronounced. Think people who drink daily for years and then go cold turkey....ever seen someone with the DT's?

why would one drug produce such an adverse effect in people who quit, while the other is a 'mental addiction' ?

trust me, I've been there for both......

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 800 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    phrase it how you want.....you're putting a substance into your system that changes physical reactions. Over time, your body learns to work with it (years)

remove it after years of use and the withdrawal is quite pronounced. Think people who drink daily for years and then go cold turkey....ever seen someone with the DT's?

why would one drug produce such an adverse effect in people who quit, while the other is a 'mental addiction' ?

trust me, I've been there for both......
    The following article explains why marijuana DOES NOT cause adverse affects on people who quit.

For those too lazy to read it's because marijuana, unlike other drugs, does not affect the body's dopamine reward system.

Start of Article:

Neurons are brain cells which process information. Neurotransmitter chemicals enable them to communicate with each other by their release into the gap between the neurons. This gap is called the synapse. Receptors are actually proteins in neurons which are specific to neurotransmitters, and which turn various cellular mechanisms on or off. Neurons can have thousands of receptors for different neurotransmitters, causing any neurotransmitter to have diverse effects in the brain.

Drugs affect the production, release or re-uptake (a regulating mechanism) of various neurotransmitters. They also mimic or block actions of neurotransmitters, and can interfere with or enhance the mechanisms associated with the receptor.

Dopamine is a neurotransmitter which is associated with extremely pleasurable sensations, so that the neural systems which trigger dopamine release are known as the "brain reward system." The key part of this system is identified as the mesocorticolimbic pathway, which links the dopamine-production area with the nucleus of accumbens in the limbic system, an area of the brain which is associated with the control of emotion and behavior.

Cocaine, for example, blocks the re-uptake of dopamine so that the brain, lacking biofeedback, keeps on producing it. Amphetamines also block the re-uptake of dopamine, and stimulate additional production and release of it.

Opiates activate neural pathways that increase dopamine production by mimicking opioid-peptide neurotransmitters which increase dopamine activity in the ventral tegmental area of the brain where the neurotransmitter originates. Opiates work on three receptor sites, and in effect restrain an inhibitory amino acid, gamma-aminobutyric acid, that otherwise would slow down or halt dopamine production.

All of these substances can produce strong reinforcing properties that can seriously influence behavior. The rewarding properties of dopamine are what accounts for animal studies in which animals will forgo food and drink or willingly experience electric shocks in order to stimulate the brain reward system. It is now widely held that drugs of abuse directly or indirectly affect the brain reward system. The key clinical test of whether a substance is a drug of abuse potential or not is whether administration of the drug reduces the amount of electrical stimulation needed to produce self-stimulation response, or dopamine production. This is an indication that a drug has reinforcing properties, and that an individual's use of the drug can lead to addictive and other harmful behavior.

To be precise, according to the Office of Technological Assessment (OTA): "The capacity to produce reinforcing effects is essential to any drug with significant abuse potential."

Marijuana should no longer be considered a serious drug abuse because, as summarized by the OTA: "Animals will not self-administer THC in controlled studies . . . . Cannabinoids generally do not lower the threshold needed to get animals to self-stimulate the brain regard system, as do other drugs of abuse." Marijuana does not produce reinforcing effects.

The definitive experiment which measures drug-induced dopamine production utilizes microdialysis is live, freely-moving rats. Brain microdialysis has proven that opiates, cocaine, amphetamines, nicotine and alcohol all affect dopamine production, whereas marijuana does not.

This latest research confirms and explains Hollister's 1986 conclusion about cannabis and addiction: "Physical dependence is rarely encountered in the usual patterns, despite some degree of tolerance that may develop."

Most important, the discoveries of Howlett and Devane, Herkenham and their associates demonstrate that the cannabinoid receptors do not influence the dopamine reward system.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    ...from a 17 year old 1995 article. While it doesnt act on reuptake and doesnt produce the same dependency that other harder substances have, the effects are more benign, which is why "you cant get addicted" to it - the "addiction" is via a benign mechanism that cant be pinpointed on a single thing like cocaine for instance.

http://www.jneurosci.org/content/24/18/4393.abstract
    http://www.jneurosci.org/content/27/4/791.full.pdf
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11823058
    http://www.frontiersin.org/Behaviora...00049/abstract

You guys know I think it should be legal and that it isnt "addictive" in the normal sense of the word, but it does have certain effects on the endocrine balance, which is why a sluggish stoner gets his 'pick me up' just like a skiier or drunk, just not in exactly the same way.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Trip View Post
    The following article explains why marijuana DOES NOT cause adverse affects on people who quit.

For those too lazy to read it's because marijuana, unlike other drugs, does not affect the body's dopamine reward system.

Start of Article:

Neurons are brain cells which process information. Neurotransmitter chemicals enable them to communicate with each other by their release into the gap between the neurons. This gap is called the synapse. Receptors are actually proteins in neurons which are specific to neurotransmitters, and which turn various cellular mechanisms on or off. Neurons can have thousands of receptors for different neurotransmitters, causing any neurotransmitter to have diverse effects in the brain.

Drugs affect the production, release or re-uptake (a regulating mechanism) of various neurotransmitters. They also mimic or block actions of neurotransmitters, and can interfere with or enhance the mechanisms associated with the receptor.

Dopamine is a neurotransmitter which is associated with extremely pleasurable sensations, so that the neural systems which trigger dopamine release are known as the "brain reward system." The key part of this system is identified as the mesocorticolimbic pathway, which links the dopamine-production area with the nucleus of accumbens in the limbic system, an area of the brain which is associated with the control of emotion and behavior.

Cocaine, for example, blocks the re-uptake of dopamine so that the brain, lacking biofeedback, keeps on producing it. Amphetamines also block the re-uptake of dopamine, and stimulate additional production and release of it.

Opiates activate neural pathways that increase dopamine production by mimicking opioid-peptide neurotransmitters which increase dopamine activity in the ventral tegmental area of the brain where the neurotransmitter originates. Opiates work on three receptor sites, and in effect restrain an inhibitory amino acid, gamma-aminobutyric acid, that otherwise would slow down or halt dopamine production.

All of these substances can produce strong reinforcing properties that can seriously influence behavior. The rewarding properties of dopamine are what accounts for animal studies in which animals will forgo food and drink or willingly experience electric shocks in order to stimulate the brain reward system. It is now widely held that drugs of abuse directly or indirectly affect the brain reward system. The key clinical test of whether a substance is a drug of abuse potential or not is whether administration of the drug reduces the amount of electrical stimulation needed to produce self-stimulation response, or dopamine production. This is an indication that a drug has reinforcing properties, and that an individual's use of the drug can lead to addictive and other harmful behavior.

To be precise, according to the Office of Technological Assessment (OTA): "The capacity to produce reinforcing effects is essential to any drug with significant abuse potential."

Marijuana should no longer be considered a serious drug abuse because, as summarized by the OTA: "Animals will not self-administer THC in controlled studies . . . . Cannabinoids generally do not lower the threshold needed to get animals to self-stimulate the brain regard system, as do other drugs of abuse." Marijuana does not produce reinforcing effects.

The definitive experiment which measures drug-induced dopamine production utilizes microdialysis is live, freely-moving rats. Brain microdialysis has proven that opiates, cocaine, amphetamines, nicotine and alcohol all affect dopamine production, whereas marijuana does not.

This latest research confirms and explains Hollister's 1986 conclusion about cannabis and addiction: "Physical dependence is rarely encountered in the usual patterns, despite some degree of tolerance that may develop."

Most important, the discoveries of Howlett and Devane, Herkenham and their associates demonstrate that the cannabinoid receptors do not influence the dopamine reward system.
    So it changes neural pathways in the brain, it changes your liver and pancreas and of course it changes how your lungs deliver oxygen to the rest of the body. And in the second last line of that article it states - "Physical dependence is rarely encountered in the usual patterns, despite some degree of tolerance that may develop."

The person or persons that wrote that article have obviously never smoked it for over 25 years daily and then quit. I could find a few articles supporting the physical changes it makes to your body, but it seems you already have a viewpoint based on the above. Again, if a drug changes the way you feel, it's obviously making physical changes to your body. Do it daily and increase the dose, your body can't evacuate it completely. THC deposits in your hair, fingernails, stomach and organs for months, sometimes years, based on volume intake. Hardly a mental process...

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 800 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    So it changes neural pathways in the brain, it changes your liver and pancreas and of course it changes how your lungs deliver oxygen to the rest of the body. And in the second last line of that article it states - "Physical dependence is rarely encountered in the usual patterns, despite some degree of tolerance that may develop."

The person or persons that wrote that article have obviously never smoked it for over 25 years daily and then quit. I could find a few articles supporting the physical changes it makes to your body, but it seems you already have a viewpoint based on the above. Again, if a drug changes the way you feel, it's obviously making physical changes to your body. Do it daily and increase the dose, your body can't evacuate it completely. THC deposits in your hair, fingernails, stomach and organs for months, sometimes years, based on volume intake. Hardly a mental process...
    I've smoked for 20+ years and have quit several times for employer screening tests. It takes 3 months for me drop below levels that can be tested. Not once have I ever had physical or mental withdraw systems when I quit.

And since when did "rarely encountered" begin carrying the weight you are giving it? Some people will hemorrhage to death by taking 2 Aspirin and billions of others wouldn't even be phased by it

Does that mean we should say "Aspirin causes hemorrhaging?" No, it's the exception to the rule. If you had withdraw symptoms to weed you are the exception, not the rule.
    Last edited by Acid Trip; 11-05-2012 at 09:42 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Acid Trip For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (11-05-2012)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    I got to agree with AT I have smoked for the last 20 years and also quit from time to time and never noticed withdraw symptoms

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    not sure where rarely encountered entered the world of addicts quitting 20 year habits....

My brother chairs an NA group and I could get testimonials from him and other weed smokers...I'm not alone and certainly not a rarity when it comes to quitting that habit. Sleeplessness, sweating, anxiety to name a few...

go smoke one of your tiny bowls and then talk to me when you actually grow a habit dude

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    NA is for narcotics, those do cause withdraw, maybe you were also coming off your pain pills at the same time