Thread: teh anti christmas thread

He who laughs, lasts. Noilly Pratt's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    You didn't by chance have to walk 6 miles in the snow uphill and barefoot just to get to school also did you?
    In actual fact, for about 6 months there in Northern Saskatchewan, it was a very prairie flat 1 mile walk to school, but it was -38° a few days there. We rejoiced when it "warmed up" to -10°F. I had boots, but to make them waterproof, my Mum would (I shit you not - this was a common practice up there as even the most waterproofed shoes would crack and leak due to the extreme temps), after I put on my socks, put bread bags on my feet before I put on my boots to be sure I was waterproofed!

I need to write a book!

Signature created way-back-when by Goofy

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Noilly..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

Noilly Pratt (12-21-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    If I hadn't been born a boy, I wouldn't have had anything to play with on Christmas morning.
    You've never heard of titties?

Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    I will say, we were poor growing up after my parents split. My dad left us with nothing and my mom didn't have a lot of work skills because she'd been a stay at home wife/mother. But even though we had to go without on a lot of things, at Christmas she tried to make it amazing for me and my brother. I still remember the year that we got an Atari 2600 for Christmas and we couldn't believe it because it was such an expensive thing back then. I didn't appreciate it as much as I do now because my mom would have had to go without things even more than usual just so she could get that for us. Christmas is and always should be about the kids.
    I got an Atari one year too!

My mum and dad were pretty strapped for cash when i was a kid but i never felt i missed out........ was actually quite emotional as an adult hearing about the sacrifices they made for me when i was a kid (eg, my dad sold his drum kit one year to buy me a bike). I never really knew how tight things were though, i guess they shielded me from it really well. Great parents though and i love them to bits

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (12-21-2017), Teh One Who Knocks (12-21-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    I will say, we were poor growing up after my parents split. My dad left us with nothing and my mom didn't have a lot of work skills because she'd been a stay at home wife/mother. But even though we had to go without on a lot of things, at Christmas she tried to make it amazing for me and my brother. I still remember the year that we got an Atari 2600 for Christmas and we couldn't believe it because it was such an expensive thing back then. I didn't appreciate it as much as I do now because my mom would have had to go without things even more than usual just so she could get that for us. Christmas is and always should be about the kids.
    That was similar to us Lance. My Dad was working seismic bringing up three kids. I used to complain about not getting this or that...then I remembered we always got handfuls of gifts, we had stockings full of treats and small gifts...and always tons of food around the house for the holidays. I feel so ashamed sometimes.

I was really into train sets and remember a few Christmas's getting lots of buildings and accessories

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (12-21-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    You didn't by chance have to walk 6 miles in the snow uphill and barefoot just to get to school also did you?
    To go to junior high, my friends and I walked over a mile (11 city blocks) to and from school If you ever get up here I'd be happy to show you. We walked in -30 degree weather and that's no joke. My buddy across the street would wet his hair some days and parts of it broke off and he cried

Be happy you grew up Havana or Miami or wherever it is you were spawned

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Muddy (12-21-2017)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    To go to junior high, my friends and I walked over a mile (11 city blocks) to and from school If you ever get up here I'd be happy to show you. We walked in -30 degree weather and that's no joke. My buddy across the street would wet his hair some days and parts of it broke off and he cried

Be happy you grew up Havana or Miami or wherever it is you were spawned
    That's similar to what I had to go thru in middle school living in Vermont. We were "too close" to take the bus so we had to hoof it, no matter how cold or snowy. Not quite as far as you had to walk, we had to go just over a half mile, but that was a long way to walk when you were in grades 4 thru 6. Plenty of days where it was -10° to -35° in the winters. Toughens a boy up in a hurry

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (12-21-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    That's similar to what I had to go thru in middle school living in Vermont. We were "too close" to take the bus so we had to hoof it, no matter how cold or snowy. Not quite as far as you had to walk, we had to go just over a half mile, but that was a long way to walk when you were in grades 4 thru 6. Plenty of days where it was -10° to -35° in the winters. Toughens a boy up in a hurry
    We used to hike down to a place called Turtle Hill and go tobogganing there. My parents used to shake their heads because we'd stay all day in -35 weather and come home crusted up with snow and ice on all of our clothes

Now...I drive past there and never walk, and in a car with a damned good heater

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    You've never heard of titties?

I got an Atari one year too!

My mum and dad were pretty strapped for cash when i was a kid but i never felt i missed out........ was actually quite emotional as an adult hearing about the sacrifices they made for me when i was a kid (eg, my dad sold his drum kit one year to buy me a bike). I never really knew how tight things were though, i guess they shielded me from it really well. Great parents though and i love them to bits
    Your pa sold his drum kit to buy you a bike and you're still a flabby-ass?

shame on your bald backside

j/k...that's a nice story and we never do see the sacrifices parents make. I wonder what mine gave up some Christmas's to give gifts to us three whining children..

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Goofy (12-21-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Man that's just it.

Almost every Christmas my parents told me it'd be a lean year, my dad never had a great job until we were in our teens and my mom stayed home. But a few times, after all our little gifts were open, he and my mom would get a little twinkle in their eyes and tell us there's one more gift hiding behind the couch. One time it was an N64, and other it was a little track race car set.

Christmas has sort of lost being so special because there aren't many kids in the family, but buying gifts for my cousins little kids is the best. Someday I hope I have a few little rugrats to spoil.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Man that's just it.

Almost every Christmas my parents told me it'd be a lean year, my dad never had a great job until we were in our teens and my mom stayed home. But a few times, after all our little gifts were open, he and my mom would get a little twinkle in their eyes and tell us there's one more gift hiding behind the couch. One time it was an N64, and other it was a little track race car set.

Christmas has sort of lost being so special because there aren't many kids in the family, but buying gifts for my cousins little kids is the best. Someday I hope I have a few little rugrats to spoil.
    By then their phones will be 16000 dollars and nothing else will do...

Happy parenting