Thread: Massachusetts Appeals Court tells 12-year-old boy: Get a job to pay for ‘tagging’ neighbors’ homes

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

Justice Massachusetts Appeals Court tells 12-year-old boy: Get a job to pay for ‘tagging’ neighbors’ homes

By John R. Ellement, Boston Globe Staff

A Western Massachusetts boy who spray-painted graffiti onto his neighbor’s homes as an 11-year-old was ordered Wednesday to get a job so he can pay the victim’s $1,000 restitution – and learn a life lesson at the same time.

The boy, who was identified in the Massachusetts Appeals Court ruling by the pseudonym of “Avram,” had previously had charges of juvenile delinquency put on hold for one year in return for his promise to make restitution to his Easthampton neighbors.

After he failed to pay a single penny within that year, Juvenile Court Judge James G. Collins extended the now-12-year-old boy’s probation for four years and ordered him to get a job – an order defense attorney Craig R. Bartolomei said was contrary to juvenile law and to the reality of society today.

“The state itself limits what they [12-year-olds] can do,’’ Bartolomei said in a telephone interview. “They can be actors, with a permit. They can work a farm, and they can basically deliver newspapers. But kids don’t deliver newspapers any more.’’

“That’s what I keep coming back to,” he added. “Where does a 12-year-old find work to pay this off? It’s not going to happen.’’

Bartolomei also said forcing his client to find a job, given the child’s age, could put him in danger if he goes out and looks for work.

But the three-judge panel of the appeals court, in a ruling written by Judge William J. Meade, said the boy could find work literally outside his front door.

The boy could “earn money by obtaining a paper route, mowing lawns, raking leaves, shoveling snow, baby-sitting, delivering groceries, or by recycling items upon which a deposit had been paid” and state law permits children as young as nine years old the freedom to work as a newspaper delivery person, Meade wrote.

Meade emphasized the judge was not driven by dollars in extending the boy’s probation until the restitution is made.

“When he extended the period of probation, the judge properly sought to teach the juvenile one of life’s primary lessons: he is responsible for the actions he takes,’’ Meade wrote. “Such an order not only provided an opportunity to build the juvenile’s character and integrity, but also to promote his life as a law-abiding citizen. The judge’s order had the added benefit of instilling in the juvenile the important values of respect for others (as well as their property) and a basic understanding of the value of work.”

Northwestern District Attorney David E. Sullivan, said the court made the right call not only in the case of the Easthampton tagging victims, but also for the thousands of people statewide who sustain property damage at the hands of errant juveniles.

He also said the boy, who does not have any mental or physical limitations, will benefit from learning that he is responsible for himself and the actions he takes.

“He had two strong arms and two strong legs to make his way over to his neighbor’s house,’’ said Sullivan. “He can use those two strong arms and two strong legs to pay restitution.’’

Sullivan added that if the boy cannot find anyone to hire him, then the boy should contact his juvenile diversion program “and we’ll hook him up.’’

Bartolomei, who was appointed by the juvenile court to represent the boy, said he was considering an appeal to the Supreme Judicial Court, the state’s highest, if his client agrees. Bartolomei said if no appeal is undertaken, his client would have to pay the restitution, which does not include interest.

Elaine Dudkiewicz owns one of the homes targeted by the boy. In her case, he used red spray paint on their newly-sided garage.

“I was pretty upset and my husband, especially, was upset,’’ she said in a telephone interview. “We just put siding on and we had to get it replaced.’’

The court said Elaine’s husband did the repair work himself and that the youth owes them about $300, money she said she has never really expected to see. She agreed with the ruling by the appeals court.

“He should have to do something,’’ she said. “He should take some responsibility for what he did.’’

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    I think we should bring back public lashing.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Why not make the parents financially resaponsible?
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Why not make the parents financially resaponsible?
    Because then the kid learns nothing

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

FBD (01-31-2013), Pony (01-31-2013)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tehlancinator View Post
    Because then the kid learns nothing
    Yeah much better that the state be responsible for parenting the child.

Would you have learned "nothing" from your parents if you defaced the neighbor's property? I would have gotten my ass kicked and my parents would have taken responsibility for the repairs without question, probably including making ME do them or assist with them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

FBD (01-31-2013)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Yeah much better that the state be responsible for parenting the child.

Would you have learned "nothing" from your parents if you defaced the neighbor's property? I would have gotten my ass kicked and my parents would have taken responsibility for the repairs without question, probably including making ME do them or assist with them.
    And if you do that now you will be arrested for child abuse and CPS will take your kid away from you.

And if the parents aren't gonna be parents, then should we just let the kid do whatever he wants with no repercussions?

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tehlancinator View Post
    And if you do that now you will be arrested for child abuse and CPS will take your kid away from you.

And if the parents aren't gonna be parents, then should we just let the kid do whatever he wants with no repercussions?
    No, but telling the parents they don't need to be parents because it's a state issue doesn't feel right either.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

FBD (01-31-2013)

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    seriously, no context exists for a kid to find some way to make money??

and yes, the fkn parents should be responsible

...and legally be able to take it out of the kid's hide.

but since the kid is already doing this shit as it is and not caring, obviously the parents havent taught him well. which is another reason to make the parents responsible for the actions of their juvenile.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 800 Posts
    How about the kid mows the neighbors yard once a week all summer long and then rakes his leaves in the fall? That's labor worth about a grand.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Acid Trip For This Useful Post:

FBD (01-31-2013)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 800 Posts
    He could also clean gutters, weed a flowerbed, and water grass/flowers.

I did all those things to make money when I was 12.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Acid Trip For This Useful Post:

FBD (01-31-2013)