Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Get pull over and get your cell phone data scanned

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 800 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post
    So in Loser's case, the lock box would require a warrant, anything else in the vehicle would be fair game is how I understand 4th Amendment rights....same would go for your cell phone, that should require a warrant
    Glove compartment is locked and so is the trunk in the back. I'm sorry officer but you'll need a warrant for that...

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Trip View Post
    Glove compartment is locked and so is the trunk in the back. I'm sorry officer but you'll need a warrant for that...
    Then you will either be detained and/or arrested for obstruction and then they'll tow your car

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    yeah, bottom line, a cop can make up any bullshit he wants and that's an "acceptable" usage of "probable cause."

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FBD View Post
    yeah, bottom line, a cop can make up any bullshit he wants and that's an "acceptable" usage of "probable cause."
    Exactly....if you have nothing to hide, then it's just easier to cooperate with them on the minor things.

Now if they wanted my smart phone so they could d/l the data off it, then there would be an issue...but if they wanted to look in my trunk I'd let them....especially considering that I drive a pick-up

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    If I'm reading the story correctly, I support this.

If the cops can determine that a driver was texting, calling, downloading at the time of a traffic infraction...I say let them do it.
    We've had a few stories here where the driver was texting and killed other people in an accident.

If they're digging into your phone for other purposes, then yes they're violating the user's rights.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post

If the cops can determine that a driver was texting, calling, downloading at the time of a traffic infraction...I say let them do it.
    We've had a few stories here where the driver was texting and killed other people in an accident.

If they're digging into your phone for other purposes, then yes they're violating the user's rights.
    Man I hear texters are killing more peeps than drunk drivers these days...

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts

Unfortunately there is a big flip side to that, they won't just look at the info at the time of the accident, they are downloading everything on the phone. Not that I have anything to hide but I don't want a third party looking at my personal conversations, pics, contacts etc. Stuff will very easily find it's way to the internet for one...
    Also I believe currently they can't look at anything on a phone that's locked, this is bypassing that.

Might as well give insurance companies all the records from your cars computer to evaluate your driving habits too and set your rates accordingly. Or have all your medical records available to anyone that requests them. (employers, insurance, etc)

Sorry but privacy is a big issue for me, there's already too much info leaking out.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    I really believe in the checking for texting/phone activity at the time of a violation.

I see so many people texting/surfing on my commute to work it kinda scares me.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    I really believe in the checking for texting/phone activity at the time of a violation.

I see so many people texting/surfing on my commute to work it kinda scares me.
    I totally see where you're coming from and I don't have a problem with them asking for permission to see it. Or if they saw someone texting, write the ticket and request phone records before the court date.
    Even in the case of an accident with injury, they can call and often get a warrant on the spot these days. I'm more concerned with daily abuse of the device by the police in the instances they have no reason to look at your phone.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    I totally see where you're coming from and I don't have a problem with them asking for permission to see it. Or if they saw someone texting, write the ticket and request phone records before the court date.
    Even in the case of an accident with injury, they can call and often get a warrant on the spot these days. I'm more concerned with daily abuse of the device by the police in the instances they have no reason to look at your phone.
    Exactly...if they suspect you of texting while driving, all they need to do is take a quick check of your texts, not download the entire contents of your phone.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    In Virginia I don't think texting while driving is illegal, yet..

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It is here, they passed it at the start of this year. Plus if you have to have your cell phone set up as hands free if you want to talk on it. Talking on your cell phone while holding it and driving is against the law here too.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post
    It is here, they passed it at the start of this year. Plus if you have to have your cell phone set up as hands free if you want to talk on it. Talking on your cell phone while holding it and driving is against the law here too.
    I think that's a fine law, and I would embrace it's passage here in the Commonwealth.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyGut View Post
    I think that's a fine law, and I would embrace it's passage here in the Commonwealth.
    we have it here in Ontario

Thanks to Goofy for my sig

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I think it's been on the table a few times... But somehow it has been defeated.. It's bound to be a matter of time though once the concrete numbers start hammering them (general assembly)...