Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Football Thread

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Personally I don't think the NCAA will ever give the death penalty to another football program again, but the fact that it's even being mentioned is pretty crazy.

I am fixed

"Somedays I wake up and feel like nobody loves me. Other days I wake up and feel like I love nobody. Sometimes I wake up and feel tired, and worn out. Sometimes I wake up and feel like I cannot face the day. But someday I'll wake up and realize that waking up is pretty stupid because it just makes you feel like crap."

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Even if they did give the death penalty again (and that's a BIG if), they would never give it to a big name program like Miami.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post
    Even if they did give the death penalty again (and that's a BIG if), they would never give it to a big name program like Miami.

Source: Willful violators clause could apply at Miami
    By Charles Robinson and Dan Wetzel

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The NCAA informed University of Miami administrators it will consider invoking its “willful violators” clause and make an exception to the traditional four-year statute of limitations in the Nevin Shapiro case, a university source told Yahoo! Sports.

Traditionally, the NCAA’s bylaws would only allow it to sanction the Hurricanes for infractions that occurred during the four years prior to receiving a letter of inquiry from investigators. For example, if Miami received a letter of inquiry for a case on Sept. 1, 2011, the NCAA could only sanction the school for applicable violations dating back to Sept. 1, 2007. But the clause – reserved for “a pattern of willful violations” – can spin a probe back to the earliest applicable infractions.

Applied to the Shapiro allegations, it means the NCAA could reach as far back to early 2002, when the booster said he began funneling benefits to Hurricanes players. And if the probe stretched back to 2002, it would overlap with Miami’s two-year probationary period from the baseball program, which was leveled from February 2003 to February 2005. That could potentially tag the Hurricanes athletic program with a “repeat violator” label and make the school further susceptible to the NCAA’s so-called death penalty.

NCAA president Mark Emmert said that despite the penalty being used only once before in college football – against Southern Methodist University in 1987 – the association isn’t shying away from such a drastic sanction.

“We need to make sure that we’ve got, for the committee on infractions, all the tools they need to create those kinds of deterrents,” Emmert told USA Today. “If that includes the death penalty, I’m fine with that.”

And while the likelihood of the death penalty remains questionable, the possibility of the willful violators clause is not welcome news for an already-embattled athletic department. Miami athletic director Shawn Eichorst released a statement Thursday assuring the school’s commitment to “the integrity of the NCAA investigation” and “demanding the full cooperation of our employees and student-athletes.”

“There are tough times ahead, challenges to overcome and serious decisions to be made, but we will be left standing and we will be stronger as a result,” Eichorst said. “I understand there are unanswered questions, concerns and frustration by many but this athletic department will be defined now and in the future, by our core values, our integrity and our commitment to excellence, and by nothing else. The University of Miami, as an institution of higher learning, is a leader in exploration, achievement and excellence and we will work hard to do our part to live up to that standard.”

Shapiro is a Miami booster currently serving a 20-year federal prison term for operation a $930 million Ponzi scheme. He detailed to Yahoo! Sports a wide-ranging eight-year run of violations that include cash, gifts, prostitution, entertainment at nightclubs and strip clubs, parties at his mansion, yacht cruises and other benefits. Yahoo! Sports found at least seven coaches, three support staff members and 72 athletes with direct involvement or knowledge of infractions committed by the booster from 2002 to 2010.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    yikes I still stay they won't do it. The NCAA will hit them hard but it will be short of the death penalty. BTW OSU fans are giving Miami a big thank you. I wonder how that week 2 matchup will be billed?

I am fixed

"Somedays I wake up and feel like nobody loves me. Other days I wake up and feel like I love nobody. Sometimes I wake up and feel tired, and worn out. Sometimes I wake up and feel like I cannot face the day. But someday I'll wake up and realize that waking up is pretty stupid because it just makes you feel like crap."

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 800 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob034 View Post
    I wonder how that week 2 matchup will be billed?
    Original Cheaters vs. Creative Cheaters?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Trip View Post
    Original Cheaters vs. Creative Cheaters?
    Normally I would slap someone for dissing the 'Canes....but I can't when it comes to this

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    That was the most insane game I've ever seen

I am fixed

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    That was the most insane game I've ever seen
    Pitt vs Maine? I agree

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post
    Pitt vs Maine? I agree
    I didn't even know Maine had a team

I am fixed

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

They played Nebraska a few years ago

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    No. 17 Ohio State falls at Miami, 24-6

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    and OSU falls out of rankings for first time since '04
    Last edited by Joebob034; 09-19-2011 at 04:13 PM.

I am fixed

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    here come the superconferences, wonder who the Big 10 will add? ND for sure maybe Mizzou?

ACC
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...l?sct=cf_t2_a3

Pac-12
    http://www.wfmz.com/sports/Report-Pa...2/-/oprqugz/-/

I am fixed

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    and OSU falls out of rankings for first time since '04
    All thanks to the U

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Georgia beats Florida, 24 - 20. First win in the rivalry since 2007.