Thread: Angelina Jolie has double mastectomy

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts

RIP Angelina Jolie has double mastectomy

Hollywood actress Angelina Jolie has undergone a double mastectomy to reduce her chances of getting breast cancer.

The 37-year-old mother of six has explained her reasons for having the surgery in the New York Times.

She said her doctors estimated she had an 87% risk of breast cancer and a 50% risk of ovarian cancer. "I decided to be proactive and to minimise the risk as much I could," she wrote.

She said the process began in February and was completed by the end of April.

She said she had sought to reassure her children that the same illness would not take her away from them, "but the truth is I carry a 'faulty' gene, BRCA1, which sharply increases my risk of developing breast cancer and ovarian cancer".

She said that once she "knew that this was my reality", she had taken the decision to undergo the nine weeks of complex surgery required to have a double mastectomy.

Her chances of developing breast cancer have now dropped from 87% to under 5%, she said.

She praised her partner, Brad Pitt, for his love and support throughout the procedure, and said she was reassured that her children had found nothing in the results "that makes them uncomfortable".

"I feel empowered that I made a strong choice that in no way diminishes my femininity," she said.

"For any woman reading this, I hope it helps you to know you have options," Ms Jolie went on to say.

"I want to encourage every woman, especially if you have a family history of breast or ovarian cancer, to seek out the information and medical experts who can help you through this aspect of your life, and to make your own informed choices."

The award-winning actress and director is also a long-time supporter of humanitarian causes. She is currently a UN special envoy.

During the period she was undergoing the double mastectomy procedure, Ms Jolie visited the Democratic Republic of Congo with UK Foreign Secretary William Hague - and attended the G8 summit of foreign ministers in London - to raise awareness over sexual violence in conflict.

She also helped launch a charity to fund girls' education set up by the Pakistani schoolgirl activist Malala Yousafzai who was shot by the Taliban last October.

Ms Jolie has three biological children and three adopted children with Brad Pitt.

Emma Parlons, a 38-year-old mother from London who had the operation three years ago, welcomed Angelina Jolie's decision to raise awareness of the issue.

Ms Parlons said her risk of getting breast cancer was the same as the actress's. "If somebody said your flight across the Atlantic was 86% likely to come down, you wouldn't get on that plane would you?" she said in an explanation of her reasons for having the operation.

Professor Gareth Evans, of the Manchester Breast Centre in Britain, said the two genes BRCA1 and BRCA2 (breast cancer one and two) "were the first two majorly breast cancer pre-disposing genes that were identified" and are also linked to an increased risk of ovarian cancer.

"The risk associated with the genes isn't simply an exact figure like 87%," he told the BBC.

"It does depend on other risk factors, and so the risk for someone with a BRCA1 mutation could vary anywhere between 50 and 95% for breast cancer."

Currently, women facing a strong likelihood of developing breast cancer have only two real options - to have both of their breasts removed (a double mastectomy) or hope that it will never actually happen.

In January, the drugs watchdog in England and Wales, the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence, recommended women at a high genetic risk of breast cancer should be given the option of taking the drug Tamoxifen, or another one called raloxifene, for five years to cut their lifetime risk of the disease.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22520720

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    She's not dead

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    her boobies are

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    Think she'll sell them on ebay?

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I bid on them

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    You can't sell body parts on eBay

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    *chance of on jolies boobs have increased dramatically

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Good on her for being open about it and raising awareness

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Thats a strong chick right there.. And Brad Pitt? He's a solid mofo as well..

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Did I read this wrong or did she have elective surgery to remove the breasts of a woman who does not have cancer because she might get cancer in the future??

There no awareness to bring. It's a really dumb idea and nobody's insurance will pay for this.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

FBD (03-30-2015), KevinD (05-15-2013), Noraf45 (05-15-2013)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    It's not a dumb idea when you are genetically predisposed to get the stuff. I know a chick around my way that her mother and 2 of her sisters got the stuff so she did elective surgery and it just may have saved her life. The deal with doing it electively is you save yourself the train wreck effects of the chemo therapy.. That shit may give you something worse than you originally had.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    It's not a dumb idea when you are genetically predisposed to get the stuff. I know a chick around my way that her mother and 2 of her sisters got the stuff so she did elective surgery and it just may have saved her life. The deal with doing it electively is you save yourself the train wreck effects of the chemo therapy.. That shit may give you something worse than you originally had.
    Totally disagree. And a rich woman who can afford it promoting it for the general public is wrong.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

FBD (03-30-2015)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    the way i see it ,she has a high risk of getting it and by choosing to remove them if or before she gets cancer she now doesn't have the worry hanging over her head , she has a large family maybe she's thinking of them also

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Her mother died from ovarian cancer... so she had her boobs removed. But her ovaries are still there...

Ok, I'll shut up now.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    can you sell ovaries on Craigs list?