Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it a British thing?

Assistant Shelter Dweller St. George's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    ...when was the last time we had an occasion like this?......any where in the world
    The last one I can remember was in 1981 and we all know how that one panned out.

The event that followed that was the one that I put down to this country losing it's "stiff upper lip". Mass hysteria ensued after the media attempted to suggest to us and succeeded for the most part, that we had lost "the people's princess". Drones of sheeple flocked to London to line the streets and throw flowers at the coffin of someone they'd never, nor ever likely to meet.

Forgive me if I don't appear to enthuse as much as the world would like us to, but like you Beo I too "have other things to keep me occupied". (This does not include following any other celebrity nonesense either Lance )

I agree we do Pomp and circumstance better than most. Just how they manage to slowly drive a horse and carriage, be it carrying a coffin of an old princess or a new bride to be, through the streets of London and get it to the church exactly one minute before it has to be there never ceases to amaze me when for the rest of the year it takes an hour to do two miles in a motor car.

It will be on in our house for the same reason you gave....."cos 'er indoors will want to see the dress". I genuinely mean this. I too agree that "just like any other couple getting married i wish them all the luck in the world.......cos lord knows they are going to need it!"

I too am patriotic. The Royal family hasn’t made me patriotic though. Neither has David Beckham. Our history and building an empire through an Industrial revolution made me patriotic. I am patriotic because of the good things the UK has done in the past.............not todays, or indeed, tomorrows tittle tattle.
    Last edited by St. George; 04-28-2011 at 03:42 PM.
    Ladies. If at first you don't suck seed, keep on sucking till you do suck seed.
    ~ St. George 2005

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by St. George View Post
    The last one I can remember was in 1981 and we all know how that one panned out.

ah...but that was a long time ago.............my point is that a happy occasion is a distraction for the rest of the world from its troubles...................no other country can do an occasion like this simply cos they dont have a Royal family of the same degree, if at all..............so they are happy to share ours...for instance, could you see the US doing something like this if one of the Prez's offspring got married?
    Last edited by beowulf; 04-28-2011 at 09:26 PM.

They say that life's a carousel, Spinning fast, you've got to ride it well. The world is full of Kings and Queens, Who blind your eyes and steal your dreams

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The thought of us being the envy of the world because of a royal wedding saddens me.
    ~ St. George 2005

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Isn't Beckham an American?

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    See you guys. Going home to enjoy the extra day off. Wherever you are and whatever your involvement with tomorrows events, I wish you well.
    ~ St. George 2005

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    i think everyone is looking at this the wrong way as to why it is popular, not just in britain but around the world

the world has become a very depressed place with nothing but doom and gloom for years.......earthquakes from new zealand to haiti.......floods from oz to pakistan, tsunamis and melting reactors in japan, massive oil spills in the gulf of mexico, war and death in places no one gives a flying fuck about, worldwide economical depression...thats just what i can think of in the last few years off the top of my head....must be other things too......i honestly think people are wanting a bit of colour and happiness....when was the last time we had an occasion like this?......any where in the world?..........and no one can do an event like this except britain.....its a distraction from the bad things going on

for me.....i am a royalist.....not a fanatical one but i do still believe in the monarchy.......they have their faults just like any other family (always said take away the royal tag and they would be perfect for jeremy kyle or jerry springer )...but ineither of them have done any thing wrong...dont punish the child for the sins of the father and all that...im not going out of my way to watch it but i know it will be on cos 'er indoors will want to see the dress ........i have other things to keep me occupied......the bit im wanting to see is the RAF flyover (never ever get tired of hearing 6 merlins on full chat )

just like any other couple getting married i wish them all the luck in the world.......cos lord knows they are going to need it!

i am patriotic.............and i feel something like this is more worthy of patriotism than something like following the over paid prostitute shagging arseholes that pass for sports stars of the uk's national teams who are so shit they aint won anything since '66......and scotland, wales and NI have won fuck all worth considering ever!
    Never thought of it in that perspective

Some dam good points there

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by St. George View Post
    (This does not include following any other celebrity nonesense either Lance )
    Yes, because we like to look at pix of attractive celebrities means we are following them around nonsensically

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,139 Times in 1,281 Posts
    when was the last time we had an occasion like this?......any where in the world?
    Sweden did. Just last year. And that was a huge hype ALL over Scandinavia. Don't forget that Scandi countries, except Finland, are monarchies... Maybe not as well recognized by the rest of the word as yours, but still.
    no other country can do an occasion like this simply cos they dont have a Royal family of the same degree, if at all..............so they are happy to share ours
    Swedes did it pretty well I have to say. Lots of similar hype, build up and expectations to it. Maybe not the Royal Family to the same degree, but Sweden was a pretty important and impressive monarchy back in the olden days if you shift through the history book.

All in all, I do have to agree with what Beo has said here in the bits I omitted. He is absolutely right with what he says and I do look at it more as the kind of happy occasion amongst the daily shit and terror going on around the world. And it is also something maybe to bring the royal family closer to the people too cuz they can celebrate as a nation. And that Kate girl...she is pretty basic chick as far as I have read. Not someone with already blue-blood like they used to be back in the old days when marriages were arranged between crowns. Im all for it, but I doubt I will be watching it much. Not a very manly thing to do really.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I hear money was a little tight - so to save money they are going to have a pot luck dinner and cash bar.

Thanks to Goofy for my sig

He who laughs, lasts. Noilly Pratt's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsM View Post
    I hear money was a little tight - so to save money they are going to have a pot luck dinner and cash bar.
    No -- Kate's parents kicked in a Million, so now it's all good. The pomp and circumstance can now be bought from Harrods, not Marks & Spencer!

I hear you Beo...my Mum and Dad would be right there keenly watching every moment. In 1953 they went to a street party and lined up when the Queen went through their town (in Kent).

Just for fun, here's some pics of my family (way before I was thought of) on that fateful day. My brothers in the pic are now 64 and 62 respectively...

My dad throughout his life was a bit of a lookalike for Prince Phillip...we once got seated in a very fancy restaurant in Oregon because of mistaken identity...
    Last edited by Noilly Pratt; 04-28-2011 at 05:55 PM.

Signature created way-back-when by Goofy

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    i think everyone is looking at this the wrong way as to why it is popular, not just in britain but around the world

the world has become a very depressed place with nothing but doom and gloom for years.......earthquakes from new zealand to haiti.......floods from oz to pakistan, tsunamis and melting reactors in japan, massive oil spills in the gulf of mexico, war and death in places no one gives a flying fuck about, worldwide economical depression...thats just what i can think of in the last few years off the top of my head....must be other things too......i honestly think people are wanting a bit of colour and happiness....when was the last time we had an occasion like this?......any where in the world?..........and no one can do an event like this except britain.....its a distraction from the bad things going on

for me.....i am a royalist.....not a fanatical one but i do still believe in the monarchy.......they have their faults just like any other family (always said take away the royal tag and they would be perfect for jeremy kyle or jerry springer )...but ineither of them have done any thing wrong...dont punish the child for the sins of the father and all that...im not going out of my way to watch it but i know it will be on cos 'er indoors will want to see the dress ........i have other things to keep me occupied......the bit im wanting to see is the RAF flyover (never ever get tired of hearing 6 merlins on full chat )

just like any other couple getting married i wish them all the luck in the world.......cos lord knows they are going to need it!

i am patriotic.............and i feel something like this is more worthy of patriotism than something like following the over paid prostitute shagging arseholes that pass for sports stars of the uk's national teams who are so shit they aint won anything since '66......and scotland, wales and NI have won fuck all worth considering ever!
    Fuck you beo!! I'm now youtubing god damn WW2 planes

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    So muddynuts and beo are the only honest ones here

I know I'm going to see some hilights at one point, I'll tune in for 5 minutes to make sure the terrorists didn't kill anyone.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,139 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    So muddynuts and beo are the only honest ones here

I know I'm going to see some hilights at one point, I'll tune in for 5 minutes to make sure the terrorists didn't kill anyone.
    There are terrorists? Is it like the fox hunt thingy? But this time with terrorists?

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Its on the TV now... Kate looks a bit gaunt imo.. She lost too much weight...

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I begged to stay home from work today so I could watch it, but they wouldn't give me the day off