Thread: Question for the mechanics here.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,886 Posts

Question for the mechanics here.

Okay, 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. 4.7ltr, 2 wheel drive, rear abs only. While changing the oil today in the truck, I decided to try and figure out whaer an annoying metallic rattle is coming from, as well as a roaring sound. No luck on the rattle, and I found the roaring is from my driver's side front hub bearings. No biggie, except I need to know a couple things. The hub assembly is held on by three bolts.
    1: What is the torque spec for the 3 bolts holding assembly to spindle.
    2: Are the original bolts reusable, or are they torque to yield (once use only) like many newer bolts.

I'm still looking around for replacement assemblies. So far Napa has the only ones I'd trust at a decent price. Mopar/Dodge's parts website is a pain to figure out. May just go to the dealer tomorrow and get the part number. I'd prefer to put original back on (these lasted 270,000 miles) as opposed to low buck Chinese auto parts junk.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    125 ft/lbs Same bolts, not TTY. 180 ft/lbs for the hub nut.

I suspect you'll have some fun extracting the hub assembly from the knuckle, hopefully not too bad being that you are well out of the Salt Belt.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks Rich. Unless I'm missing something, there's no hub nut. Once you take the tire off, remove the brake caliper, and rotor, there's just 3 bolts on the back of the spindle/knuckle that hold the hub assembly on. I'm already counting on a fair amount of cussing and bleeding.
    As for salt, yep, not normally a problem here. I'm 30 miles line of sight to the Gulf coast, but this truck has only been on the beach 2 times in 10 years. Actually fairly clean up in there being as it has 270,000 miles on it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 869 Posts
    I believe this is the service manual for your truck.

http://www.wedophones.com/Manuals/Do...M%20Manual.pdf

As with any downloadable I provide a link to, virus check it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I already have your name on my butthole...too bad the tattoo artist couldn't spell
    Looser
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    murder my ass..shove it up my ass....both are beautiful terms of endearment

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Awesome Loser!!!! I had a service manual, but lost it in a HD crash, and the ram forums I'm on now think it's illegal to give out the manuals.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    At least with the dealer part usually they will include the bolts if they are one time use. Not sure on the NAPA part but it may as well.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Went with the Napa brand. Timken bearings, which are decent. Has a full 36 month 60,000 mile warranty. Replaced the driver's side (was definitely bad, grinding and loose) plan to replace the passenger side next week or so. It was really easy, did it Wed afternoon in 30 minutes total. Wed evening, I had a job in South Louisiana, so drove the truck. MPG went back up to 17.5 average for the whole trip (900 miles) Still not as good as the truck used to average when it was new, but much better. Was around 15 or so.