Thread: Boys On New York High School Girls’ Volleyball Team Might Be Removed

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

Interesting Boys On New York High School Girls’ Volleyball Team Might Be Removed

By Evan Bleier - Opposing Views

Two New York high school athletes could find themselves removed from the volleyball team, not because of their play or academic performance, but because of their gender.

Seniors Andrew Lafortezza and Jason Elbaum have been playing for the girls’ volleyball team at Horace Greeley High School in Chappaqua ever since the boys’ team was scratched due to budgetary constraints. Intense discussion about the setup has led officials to examine whether the mixed competition rule needs to be modified.

“I’m very concerned with the fact that we have two boys playing on a girls’ team,” said New York State Public High School Athletic Association Executive Director Robert Zayas. “I’m concerned there’s a significant adverse effect on other teams.”

He added: “We want to encourage participation, but we also want to make sure we’re not doing it at the expense of other athletes. When you look at mixed competition, was that the intent of the rule?”

Some people are worried that the boys have a physical advantage over the girls.

Peter Kuczma, the athletic director at Greeley High, downplayed that notion. “There are advantages when you put boys on the court, but these kids are not intimidating,” he said. “When Andrew sets a ball, he does it very nicely…Today’s female athlete is much bigger, faster and stronger than they were 20 years ago.”

Kim Cleary, the boys’ volleyball coach at Suffern High School, disagrees with Kuczma.

“Having coached both boys and girls and being around this sport for 20 years, I can attest that it absolutely makes a difference,” she said. “Even if they’re not hitting at the front, they’re blocking at the front of the net. There’s absolutely no reason Horace Greeley couldn’t have formed a team and been part of our league. Those two boys are taking two spots from two girls. You watch my boys hit and block, then watch girls do it and tell me if it’s all the same.”

A decision about the situation is expected to be made in December.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    i think they are doing it for the pussy tbh

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 800 Posts
    So women can play on a men's team but men can't play on woman's team?

I do believe that's sexist.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Acid Trip For This Useful Post:

KevinD (09-30-2013), Pony (09-30-2013), redred (09-30-2013), Teh One Who Knocks (09-30-2013)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,888 Posts
    Just like women can go to a male military school (then drop out because "It's too hard") but men can't go to a women's school.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I would love to play on the US Women's soccer team. Think they'll let me?

Our club team would scrimmage the women's team in college and it was bad. A bunch of non-scholarship male players (all who played HS soccer) beating a division one women's team is just plain embarrassing. They couldn't even score.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Trip View Post
    I would love to play on the US Women's soccer team. Think they'll let me?

Our club team would scrimmage the women's team in college and it was bad. A bunch of non-scholarship male players (all who played HS soccer) beating a division one women's team is just plain embarrassing. They couldn't even score.
    One of my buddy's contends that we could take any of the Class 5 (the largest highs schools in the state) boys basketball teams and they would destroy the US women's Olympic basketball team.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    One of my buddy's contends that we could take any of the Class 5 (the largest highs schools in the state) boys basketball teams and they would destroy the US women's Olympic basketball team.
    Any sport where speed or strength comes into play it immediately becomes unfair. In reference to your friend watch how fast men push the ball down court and then watch a women's game. There is no comparison.

Take away speed and strength (like shooting rifles) and I find women do VERY well. I've had my ass handed to me lots of times by women in skeet shooting.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Acid Trip For This Useful Post:

FBD (09-30-2013)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    I had my ass handed to me by a very pretty blonde girl playing pick-up tackle football one afternoon...

yet we could never set foot on a girl's anything team because of 'the unfair advantage' boys bring to sports...

yet girls can try out for anything from high school football to being goalie on an NHL hockey team

it gets sooo confusing at times