i also had no idea that this "tournament" was in progress

Make that all of north america i guess

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,139 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post
    You know what makes me sad? Deciding the winner of a great game with the equivalent of rock, paper, scissors.
    Shootouts suck, I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Why? I'm a huge hockey fan... but this tournament means diddly squat. It's not even the best teams any country can put forward, it's just leftovers. The Stanley Cup is what we Canadians dream of at night through our entire youth. Anything else this time of year is totally trivial
    You say you are a huge hockey fan, yet you don't appreciate World Championships? Dude...do you realize there is a world out there and not just Canada? It is very very ignorant to say it means diddly squat. It is also wrong to say the teams are just leftovers. Look at the rosters first and then come say they are leftovers. Like team Russia. They have their NHL superstars there and. Are they leftovers too? Would your NHL teams be so good if you did not have players from all around the world? The best players from each country? Hockey is universal and not just Canada. Maybe to you it doesn't means shit cuz you don't see the hockey playing world cuz it is all nhl nhl nhl to you.

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezter View Post
    Would your NHL teams be so good if you did not have players from all around the world? The best players from each country? Hockey is universal and not just Canada. Maybe to you it doesn't means shit cuz you don't see the hockey playing world cuz it is all nhl nhl nhl to you.
    Yeah! They would, because that's the history of the NHL up until the late 70's. Sure, there were a few in the old days, but it was virtually all Canadian and American players until the late 80's when the flood of Eastern European players came after the fall of the iron curtain. Some have argued that hockey was more rugged, manly, and better in the old days.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,139 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AntZ View Post
    Yeah! They would, because that's the history of the NHL up until the late 70's. Sure, there were a few in the old days, but it was virtually all Canadian and American players until the late 80's when the flood of Eastern European players came after the fall of the iron curtain. Some have argued that hockey was more rugged, manly, and better in the old days.
    That was 20 years ago..hockey has evolved greatly from those times. Hasn't it?
    Some might argue against it. Some might appreciate the more brutal hockey, some appreciate the skilled hockey (Like I do and cuz European rinks are bigger, it leaves more space for skill). It is in the eye of the beholder.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    i just saw some highlights from yesterdays action at this thing, there were about 20 people in the stands watching...

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    You say you are a huge hockey fan, yet you don't appreciate World Championships? Dude...do you realize there is a world out there and not just Canada? It is very very ignorant to say it means diddly squat. It is also wrong to say the teams are just leftovers. Look at the rosters first and then come say they are leftovers. Like team Russia. They have their NHL superstars there and. Are they leftovers too? Would your NHL teams be so good if you did not have players from all around the world? The best players from each country? Hockey is universal and not just Canada. Maybe to you it doesn't means shit cuz you don't see the hockey playing world cuz it is all nhl nhl nhl to you.
    It clearly means more to Europeans, that's fine. I guess the Stanley Cup is something so important it's like explaining color to a blind man. Maybe that's why European captains almost never lead their teams to Cups!!?!? It's not about it being local. We spent our summers as kids building cardboard Stanley's and then playing street hockey for 8 hours to fight over it until it was too dark to see the ball. Every Day.

I love the Olympics, the World Juniors, WHL (had seasons ticks), CHL, AHL, NCAA, CIS, Elitserien.... To accuse me of not appreciating hockey is ridiculous. Clearly you don't know me I first learned to read watching the sports tickers.

So believe me when I say this tournament is rendered insignificant because it has the misfortune of being scheduled when the greatest month of sports for me are on all the time. The teams put on the ice by Canada and the US don't represent the entire country because our best players are otherwise occupied with trying to win the most recognizable trophy on Earth. If Finland beat Canada I wouldn't blink. Look at the players on Team Canada in the Olympics who aren't playing in this IIHF tournament because they have better things to be doing. John Tavares is leading Canada in points.... And the players who are there from Canada and the US know nobody cares. It's just the guys who don't feel like golfing yet. The caliber of hockey proves that. Sure, I'll miss the Sharks vs Wings to see Canada play Norway I was more excited when the Canucks won game 7 in OT against the Blackhawks, than when Canada won gold at the Olympics.

There are 2-4 NHL games on every night, and myself and almost all of Canada doesn't care about this IIHF nonsense, intentionally trying to draw crowds from the NHL.
    Last edited by Godfather; 05-08-2011 at 06:36 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,846 Times in 8,183 Posts
    That was 20 years ago..hockey has evolved greatly from those times. Hasn't it?
    Some might argue against it. Some might appreciate the more brutal hockey, some appreciate the skilled hockey (Like I do and cuz European rinks are bigger, it leaves more space for skill). It is in the eye of the beholder.
    I was brought up in the violent era, fights were expected and the norm in every game.I don't care for goon hockey personally, I would rather see skill.I was a big Wayne Gretzky fan from the year he started playing and let me tell you,
    that was pretty tough in itself at the time Everyone considered him a pansy and protected...which he was to some degree.But those same critics failed to realize that all scorers on teams had goons that would fight anyone who took a cheap shot at their stars.To me hockey isn't about loading up lines with guys who can punch and barely handle a puck in front in the net, it's about finesse and setting up 3 way passes to beat the goalie.

Big checkers yes, goons that fight...no.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I was brought up in the violent era, fights were expected and the norm in every game.I don't care for goon hockey personally, I would rather see skill.I was a big Wayne Gretzky fan from the year he started playing and let me tell you,
    that was pretty tough in itself at the time Everyone considered him a pansy and protected...which he was to some degree.But those same critics failed to realize that all scorers on teams had goons that would fight anyone who took a cheap shot at their stars.To me hockey isn't about loading up lines with guys who can punch and barely handle a puck in front in the net, it's about finesse and setting up 3 way passes to beat the goalie.
    For sure. I hear people trying to dissect hockey down so often

I think hockey is the one sport with incredible balance- it's not just any one thing. You can watch MMA or Soccer, or Track... all opposites of each other. Hockey has it all: unparalleled team spirit, incredibly fast plays, huge hits, giant athletes, requires great senses, and it still demands the most talented hand-eye and fineness. The hits and dangles and skill just keep going up with every draft year.

That's why to me it is without a doubt the best sport on earth
    Last edited by Godfather; 05-08-2011 at 06:52 PM.