Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Phillip Seymour Hoffman - dead of an apparent drug O.D.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Im not offended.. I just dont make light of someones death.. The guy was struggling with addiction and he lost.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

Update Philip Seymour Hoffman Had 50 Bags of Heroin, Police Say

By DAN GOOD, LIZ FIELDS and AARON KATERSKY - ABC News

Investigators found roughly 50 bags of heroin and used syringes in Philip Seymour Hoffman's West Village apartment, police told to ABC News.

This information comes one day after the Oscar-winning actor was found inside his New York apartment. Hoffman was 46 years old.

Police sources say Hoffman was found unconscious at around 11:15 a.m. Sunday on the bathroom floor of his apartment by friend and screenwriter David Bar Katz, who called 911. Hoffman was pronounced dead at the scene.

He was supposed to pick up his three children Sunday, but never showed.

He was last seen at 8 p.m. Saturday night.

The cause of death has not yet been determined, but should be coming later today. The New York City Police Department is continuing to investigate.

A law enforcement official told ABC News that investigators found 50 bags of heroin along with used syringes in Hoffman's apartment along with drug paraphernalia and prescription drugs.

Hoffman's family released a statement following his death.

"We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support we have received from everyone," the statement reads. "This is a tragic and sudden loss and we ask that you respect our privacy during this time of grieving. Please keep Phil in your thoughts and prayers."

Hoffman was known as an actor's actor, a performer who embraced the acting craft while shirking much of the celebrity surrounding his success. His early career was marked by supporting roles – snotty student George Willis, Jr. in "Scent of a Woman"; brown-nosing assistant Brant in "The Big Lebowski"; smarmy boom operator Scotty in "Boogie Nights."

His success in "Boogie Nights," directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, served as his breakout, and from there he continued to churn out powerful performances. In "Magnolia," Hoffman shined as Phil, a nurse caring for a dying patient. "The Talented Mr. Ripley" showcased Hoffman's scene-stealing abilities alongside Matt Damon, Gwyneth Paltrow and Jude Law.

In "25th Hour," Hoffman brought haunting depth to a high school teacher enamored by one of his students.

And in 2004's "Along Came Polly," Hoffman showed off his humorous side as Sandy, a child star turned middle-aged schlub.

Hoffman didn't look like an A-list star. Too doughy, too normal-looking. Those looks allowed him to slink into his roles, to bring unique, genuine touch to his characters.

By 2005, the actor's actor became a leading man. His performance in "Capote" – which detailed Truman Capote's experience penning the book "In Cold Blood" – earned Hoffman the Best Actor Academy Award and the Golden Globe Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture Drama.

Three additional Best Supporting Actor Oscar nominations followed – for "The Master," "Doubt," and "Charlie Wilson's War."

As his career built, Hoffman struggled with the trappings of fame, a topic he addressed in a 2011 interview with Britain's Guardian newspaper.

"I think that's pretty much the human condition, you know, waking up and trying to live your day in a way that you can go to sleep and feel OK about yourself," he said.

Hoffman battled addiction as well – receiving treatment for drug and alcohol addiction in his early 20s, not long after graduating from New York University.

"I went [to rehab], I got sober when I was 22 years old," he revealed during a 2006 interview with CBS News' "60 Minutes." "You get panicked … and I got panicked for my life."

Hoffman said he was lucky he got sober before becoming famous and had the money to feed his addiction.

"I have so much empathy for these young actors that are 19 and all of a sudden they're beautiful and famous and rich," he said in the interview. "I'm like, 'Oh my God, I'd be dead.'"

The actor said he kicked the habit for 23 years and remained sober until May 2013, when he briefly relapsed – after admitting to snorting heroin – and returned to rehab, spending 10 days in a detox program.

The second of four children, Hoffman was born on July 23, 1967 in Fairport, N.Y., to mother Marilyn O'Connor (née Loucks), a lawyer, and father Gordon Stowell Hoffman who worked for Xerox.

He graduated with a BFA in drama from New York University's Tisch School of the Arts in 1989 and began his film career in 1991, starring in his debut role in the indie production "Triple Bogey on a Par Five Hole."

Beyond movies, Hoffman also shined on Broadway, receiving two Tony nominations for Best Actor in 2000 for a revival of Sam Shepard's "True West" and again in 2003 for a revival of Eugene O'Neill's "Long Day's Journey into Night."

In 2012, Hoffman starred as Willy Loman in the Broadway revival of Arthur Miller's "Death of a Salesman," receiving rave reviews from critics and his third Tony Award nomination as Best Leading Actor in a Play.

He made his film directorial debut in 2010 with "Jack Goes Boating."

Hoffman's passing comes amid a flurry of new and upcoming projects. He appears in the 2014 movies "God's Pocket" and "A Most Wanted Man," along with "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay" Part 1 and 2, scheduled for release in the coming years.

He was also slated to star in the Showtime series, "Happyish."

Showtime executives released a statement Sunday, describing Hoffman was "one of our generation's finest and most brilliant actors."

Hoffman is survived by his girlfriend, costume designer Mimi O'Donnell, their son, Cooper, 10 and two daughters, Tallulah, 7, and Willa, 5.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    Im not offended.. I just dont make light of someones death.. The guy was struggling with addiction and he lost.
    I see it like they mentioned on Glee about Cory Monteith's death...instead of making a value judgment for life about a person using their moment of death, how about treating them like a human for all of the years that they lived?

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redred For This Useful Post:

Goofy (02-04-2014), Loser (02-04-2014), Teh One Who Knocks (02-03-2014)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Dude was a fucking junkie and the drugs were obviously more important to him than his kids, so fuck him, no sympathy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Goofy (02-04-2014)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Dude was a fucking junkie and the drugs were obviously more important to him than his kids, so fuck him, no sympathy.
    Yeah, the more they keep talking about it, the more it's pissing me off. He had arrangements to spend the day with his kids the day he died. The kids are fairly young, now look at what they're going to have to endure growing up with the fact that he died with a needle in his arm. Y'all know how cruel kids can be.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Goofy (02-04-2014)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    He was an addict in his 20's and was sober for 23 years? He made a conscience choice to pick that needle back up.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (02-03-2014), Goofy (02-04-2014), Teh One Who Knocks (02-03-2014)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    That shits tough man.. Very few people ever are able to truly give it up.. It nags at you for years.. Just because you are clean doesn't mean are free from its grip..

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    Very few people ever are able to truly give it up.. It nags at you for years.. Just because you are clean doesn't mean are free from its grip..
    this

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The nag of an addiction reduces the longer you're away from it. Speaking as a guy who is a nicotine addict and has been an ex-smoker for the past 8 years, the longer you're away from it, the easier it is to choose not to do it. It's barely a hint of a nag after 8 years. Going back to it would be a conscious decision. It doesn't take much to choose not to do it.

And before anybody says the addiction to nicotine is nothing compared to hard drugs, bullshit. Nicotine addictions have been proven to be as bad and even worse than some of the hardest drugs out there.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The ramifications of a nicotine relapse are nothing compared to a drug like Heroin. The mildness of nicotines effects don't even put it in the same class. Its a poor comparison. Oh you started smoking again? Who gives a shit.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    If nicotine's effects are nothing like heroin, then how come so many experts are saying that nicotine is one of the worst addictions out there? How come people that seriously want to quit smoking are still smoking?

When I quit smoking, the withdrawal pull was so bad that I seriously wanted to kill everyone that came within ten yards of me. I felt it for two months straight before it started to subside. It felt like slow starvation. My nerves were racked beyond anything I had ever experienced before. For the first two weeks, my hands literally shook uncontrollably. I was completely useless.

Sure, smoking won't kill you quite like heroin will, but that doesn't make the addiction to it any less intense.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    If nicotine's effects are nothing like heroin, then how come so many experts are saying that nicotine is one of the worst addictions out there? How come people that seriously want to quit smoking are still smoking?

When I quit smoking, the withdrawal pull was so bad that I seriously wanted to kill everyone that came within ten yards of me. I felt it for two months straight before it started to subside. It felt like slow starvation. My nerves were racked beyond anything I had ever experienced before. For the first two weeks, my hands literally shook uncontrollably. I was completely useless.

Sure, smoking won't kill you quite like heroin will, but that doesn't make the addiction to it any less intense.
    Sure it does man.. A Heroin withdrawal is physical and one of the few than can literally kill you.. Im not saying nicotine withdrawal isnt tough, because i as well know it is.. But really we are talking about two totally different drugs here.. I know so many people that have let this drug ruin their lives.. It's a fucking sickness its so engrained in their physiqe.. Ive seen people 20 years clean relapse and not just have a hit or two and beat themselves up about it..They totally fucking lose it... Hell we even had a local city councilman who had been clean since the days of Viet nam fall off the band wagon and throw his whole career away. Its a nasty beast once it gets its claws into your neural pathways.. You 're never the same again.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts