#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

Guns Colorado poll: Majority favor allowing staff to carry guns in school

By Kurtis Lee - The Denver Post

The idea of arming public school employees gained traction in a poll released Wednesday, a week before lawmakers hear testimony on a bill that would allow Colorado school districts to permit adults to carry guns inside classrooms.

Fifty percent of Coloradans support allowing teachers to be armed inside schools, while 45 percent remained in opposition, according to the Quinnipiac poll in the pollster's first look at the issue since a gunman walked into Arapahoe High School in December and killed a classmate before taking his own life.

On Tuesday, a House committee will hear testimony on a measure sponsored by Rep. Steve Humphrey, R-Severance.

"It's clear Coloradans want to keep Colorado schoolchildren safe," Humphrey said. "I'm saying let's give school districts that option."

Humphrey's bill authorizes a school board to adopt written policy that allows employees to carry concealed weapons on school grounds as long as they have a valid permit.

More than a dozen states allow adults to carry loaded weapons inside K-12 schools, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Denver Public Schools Superintendent Tom Boasberg said his district does not support such legislation.

"The safety and security of our students is the number one priority for Denver Public Schools," Boasberg said. "We do not believe that arming teachers is the right solution to ensure the safety of our schools."

Jefferson County Public Schools superintendent Cindy Stevenson said the school district has not taken a position on the bill, but she urged caution in considering such legislation.

"Having worked with law enforcement a lot and having really looked at safety and security, carrying a gun is something that requires a lot of training and it's not just one firearm safety class," Stevenson said. "It's really important to know what actually creates greater safety. It's risk assessment and threat assessment. It's reporting everything. It's a high level of training."

The poll found a stark divide among gender when it came to the question of arming teachers as men support the effort by a much wider margin than women, who mostly oppose it. Also, Republicans strongly favor arming teachers at 73 percent, while just 19 percent of Democrats support it.

"There's no question we all want to keep our kids safe," said state Rep. Daniel Kagan, D-Cherry Hills Village, the chairman of the House Judiciary committee, which will hear testimony on Humphrey's bill.

The same committee rejected a similar bill presented by Humphrey last year, and on Wednesday Kagan remained noncommittal when asked whether the poll might change his opinion on the measure. "It's why we hear testimony," he said.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    I don't see the downside

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 869 Posts
    I can see quiet a few problems with this, unless those carrying are properly trained.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I already have your name on my butthole...too bad the tattoo artist couldn't spell
    Looser
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    murder my ass..shove it up my ass....both are beautiful terms of endearment

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Loser For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (02-06-2014)

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loser View Post
    I can see quiet a few problems with this, unless those carrying are properly trained.
    i think thats the least they could do

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loser View Post
    In hindsight I guess it was a bad idea to assume they would be properly trained

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    A resource officer yes. Every teacher? Fuck no..

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Not every teacher, but if you arm quite a few of them and dont let it be known who carries and who doesn't, I think you have a safer environment

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Wow......... just seems so fucked up to me What different worlds we live in!

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Hey! If every teacher was armed, they could pick off all of the worthless punks in their class so we wouldn't have to deal with them later!

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (02-06-2014)

The Prolapse Champion
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I hope the children don't annoy the armed teachers too much. One retired police captain recently killed a man and shot his wife for texting in a cinema. It seems we are all capable of disproportionate responses when experiencing rage.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    Wow......... just seems so fucked up to me What different worlds we live in!
    I live next door to them, how do you think I feel??

seriously, tell the world the teachers are armed then arm the janitors....and train them up reeeal good

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Anything to thin the herd I always say