Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a 'Gay Agenda' in today's modern media?

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,103 Times in 59,908 Posts

Discussion Is there a 'Gay Agenda' in today's modern media?

First of all, I put this in here because I wanted it to be both semi-serious and light hearted at the same time. Second, and most importantly, I have absolutely nothing against gay people whatsoever.

However, with that said, it seems to me that there is more and more focus on all things gay in media and society lately. There's an ongoing feud between American Idol and the new NBC show The Voice now claiming that AI is homophobic because they don't play up the gay angle while The Voice in it's first two episodes has had 2 openly gay men and 2 openly lesbian women. Does it really matter what the sexual orientation is of someone when they are trying to win a singing competition?

Then there are TV shows where it seems like some of them go out of their way to promote gay characters or story lines. For instance, I love the show Glee, but it seems as the show has progressed, it has been more 'in your face' with gay issues than ever before. At the rate they keeping making the characters gay, there will be more gay than straight characters on the show.

And here in the US, there is a growing trend from the PC crowd and the gay community to have subjects in schools about it? Even with grade school kids.

Lastly on this, and probably the one that bugs me the most is, why is it that the gay community needs it all to be 'in your face' to begin with? They act like if you don't mention someone being gay, then you are hiding it or you are homophobic. Have you ever seen a show where a person or character has to come out and openly say just how heterosexual they are?

Maybe it's just me, I dunno, but it sure seems like it's more and more prevalent every day. Like I said, I have nothing against gay people and they are free to do whatever they want, just like anyone else. But why is there the need to flaunt it or promote it in such an 'over the top' way?

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    Every gay person I've met pretty much agrees, why the hell does this need to be thrust in everyone's faces as often and as loudly as possible?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    Ok I'll take a poke at this...

Firstly, I understand the undercurrent of your comments Lance.In my opinion, the gays are more in your face for a reason that perhaps us heteros can't understand. For years, gay people have had to hide their sexuality in almost all facets of life, from school to the workforce.Finally some acceptance has been 'granted'.

I remember a conversation with my gay, deaf coworker.I asked him how he knows someone is gay.He said he really didn't, and had to frequent certain bars to be sure.I made some quip about having gay-dar and his response stopped my joking.He said that he has to be careful, for fear of being beat up.I never considered that hidden aspect when dating, because that possibility in my world is minimal.The worst that can happen to me is I get rejected or my face slapped in extreme cases.

So perhaps the new in your face attitude about being gay is part of the progression...the flowering if you will.I know if I had to hide some intrinsic part of my personality for years and finally a report came out saying - This behavior is ok, it's a normal part of some humans and it is accepted, I know my relief would be immense.

I don't like the gay pride parades because of the costumes and overt sexuality they contain...why can't they come dressed as 'normal' folk and celebrate their sexuality in that fashion? I think if the public witnessed pride parades with people wearing their everyday clothes, it would go a long ways towards acceptance, rather than - Look at those freaks in the pink tu-tu's and assless chaps! Most gay folk don't dress like that in their everyday lives.

In a way, some of the gay population doesn't help their cause at all.If I had children, there's no way I would expose them to a demonstration or a march in public that featured hetero's wearing lingerie...my thoughts are simple : If you want to be accepted as part of the world around you, drawing undo attention to yourself is not a good method.

Gay couples have been discriminated against for years in terms of work benefits and other advantages that are afforded to hetero couples.Until all countries accept gay unions or marriages as valid, the gay population will continue to try and be heard.This analogy may rankle some people...I feel that gay folk are similar to the way women used to be treated.Why should one employee be at a disadvantage because she's a woman...or gay, when compared to the hetero workers in the same company?

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    I sure thinks so. The gay population is about 1.5%, but watching TV you would think its more like 25% +

http://www.adherents.com/adh_dem.html

I think the gays should have the same rights as everyone else. But, I really don't need to see a couple of teenage boys make out for almost 3 minutes on United States of Tara

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    I sure thinks so. The gay population is about 1.5%, but watching TV you would think its more like 25% +

I think the gays should have the same rights as everyone else. But, I really don't need to see a couple of teenage boys make out for almost 3 minutes on United States of Tara
    Interesting...I wonder if gays feel the same aversion, watching hetero couples make out on tv and movies for the past 50 years or so?

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I have a few thought on this... First - I do not have a problem with homosexuality

As for your American Idol versus the Voice comment - AI is all about creating a star. I have seen people on that show that can sing -but have no personality. They are looking for the whole package - and someone that can tour and make them money. Where as the Voice - they are only listening to the voice. The person can be boring as hell or couldn't move to a beat to save their life. It’s all about the voice, not the person that will tour to make the AI group money.

Glee - I can't say that I have seen more than 1-2 shows. And my personal opinion is that most of the people that would watch it would be women - which in general have less of a problem with being gay. Furthermore - (and again I have not seen much of the show) it is more believable that a gay male would be in glee club than a 300lb linebacker. I do not know if there are gay females on the show or not.

Discussing homosexuality in schools - I don't have a problem with it - it's not going away so I would want my kids to be aware of it. Homophobia (again IMHO) is largely based on religion and ignorance. Both of which diminish with more education.

Your last comment about it being in your face - I think it's a combination of 2 things...
    1) the Gay Pride is a movement - they want their message to get to the people - how many movements get press or noted by being conservative and boring
    2) as for TV - being Gay or having a Gay character causes discussion and is something new. If the stats are true that 1 in 10 are gay or have homosexual tendencies, then by that logic they are still under represented in the media. Besides, if someone is very flamboyant on TV, it makes the majority of homosexuals (who most of the time would be hard to pick out) look very normal

With all that said and done - it doesn't bother me and I think it's a good step toward being accepted.

Thanks to Goofy for my sig

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    Interesting...I wonder if gays feel the same aversion, watching hetero couples make out on tv and movies for the past 50 years or so?
    They wouldn't be here without hetero's

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    One more comment - From discussions with some of my gay friends a while back - they were torn because they like to be represented in the media - however also admit that a lot of the gay characters are sometimes over the top.

Thanks to Goofy for my sig

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    They wouldn't be here without hetero's
    Eh? Turkey basters and petri dishes you homophobe!!!

*good point, you bastid..

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Eh? Turkey basters and petri dishes you homophobe!!!

*good point, you bastid..

Thats all new fangled science, the current gay adults I imagine were not conceived that way.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Exactly my point (I watch this show and know exactly the scene you are talking about)....it's like they do it on purpose to make heterosexual people uncomfortable.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post
    Exactly my point (I watch this show and know exactly the scene you are talking about)....it's like they do it on purpose to make heterosexual people uncomfortable.
    I had to FF thru it, I can "deal" briefly, but it was over the top IMO.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    I think homosexuality is a mental illness.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsM View Post
    As for your American Idol versus the Voice comment - AI is all about creating a star. I have seen people on that show that can sing -but have no personality. They are looking for the whole package - and someone that can tour and make them money. Where as the Voice - they are only listening to the voice. The person can be boring as hell or couldn't move to a beat to save their life. It's all about the voice, not the person that will tour to make the AI group money.
    And as I stated about this, what does being gay have anything to do with singing talent?

Quote Originally Posted by MrsM View Post
    Glee - I can't say that I have seen more than 1-2 shows. And my personal opinion is that most of the people that would watch it would be women - which in general have less of a problem with being gay. Furthermore - (and again I have not seen much of the show) it is more believable that a gay male would be in glee club than a 300lb linebacker. I do not know if there are gay females on the show or not.
    That's a terribly stereotypical take on glee club

And yes, there are now 2 gay females on the show that weren't gay when the show started.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    So perhaps the new in your face attitude about being gay is part of the progression...the flowering if you will.I know if I had to hide some intrinsic part of my personality for years and finally a report came out saying - This behavior is ok, it's a normal part of some humans and it is accepted, I know my relief would be immense.

I don't like the gay pride parades because of the costumes and overt sexuality they contain...why can't they come dressed as 'normal' folk and celebrate their sexuality in that fashion? I think if the public witnessed pride parades with people wearing their everyday clothes, it would go a long ways towards acceptance, rather than - Look at those freaks in the pink tu-tu's and assless chaps! Most gay folk don't dress like that in their everyday lives.
    Exactly my point...by being IN YOUR FACE about the whole thing, they are hurting their cause more than helping it. I wouldn't bring kids to (or go myself) to a parade with heterosexual people all dressed stupid and flamboyantly, so why on earth would I want to go to a gay pride event that will 100 times even more over the top?