Thread: The writing is on the wall and the end is approaching

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,091 Times in 59,905 Posts

Sad The writing is on the wall and the end is approaching

It appears that the end of the forum is getting close. I have been kicking this idea around for 6 months-ish or so, but it definitely seems to be coming closer to happening. Many long time members have left, never to return, there are no new people signing up to participate, and the last few regulars that are still around rarely post or engage with other posts.

It's not like it costs a lot to keep the lights on here (around $55/month for the server costs), but it seems to be pointless to keep it going if there is no real reason to do so, since there are no people stopping by. It makes me sad because I consider most of the people on here to be friends and I always looked forward to being able to spend part of the day just goofing around and getting to chat with everyone and keep in touch. Since people are rarely, if ever, here anymore, that really isn't the case and I've lost my desire to even login and contribute to the forum most days. It was fun when we would all discuss and comment and have some fun with everything, but since there is hardly anyone around, it just seems pointless.

It really just is disappointing. I realize people have lives to lead and eventually we all end up going our separate ways, but a lot of people just vanished without even saying goodbye. That's what hurts more I guess, not knowing why they left and not even getting a chance to say goodbye.

But anyway, I digress. Most likely, the end of the forum will be at the end of this month, that's how long the server is paid up through and it's just a waste to keep going when there's nobody around. I may keep it going through May, but I don't know yet. But if I do, May will definitely be the final month unless something drastic happened, which I doubt. I've been kicking around a few other ideas, like I have connected with a few of you on FB and as for a "forum" type thing, I have actually made a Reddit account and started something there. It's not the same design/idea as a forum layout, but it's not too bad I guess. We'll see if it pans out at all, not sure how many here have Reddit accounts or use/visit Reddit, but it's an idea. The address for it there is: https://www.reddit.com/r/tehfalloutshelter/

I would prefer to keep in touch with you guys, but I know that people change, lives change, and everything changes. Please leave your thoughts, ideas, and any other input you may have in this thread. And thanks for being along for the ride, I never thought that we would be around for 13 more years after the death of AS, but everything has a beginning, and unfortunately an end as well.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Godfather (04-11-2024), Pony (04-13-2024), teabelly (04-11-2024)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,132 Times in 1,887 Posts
    I dont think I have a Reddit account. No problem signing up though. I am on FB, but not super active on it due to the way the feed works now.
    I'll be sad to see the site go, but fully understand.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinD For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Sound good to me bud, appreciate how long you've covered this place, it's been an awesome ride that's been a blast since I first met you all on AS 20 years back. Very sad to see it go. Internet forums are a dying breed eh, I don't have any magic beans to inject new life either unfortunately. Have you got the power to do an email blast to all the members (or maybe just those with a minimum # of posts) to invite them to the new subreddit by chance?

Just subbed to the new subreddit fyi.
    Last edited by Godfather; 04-11-2024 at 05:37 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,245 Times in 4,357 Posts
    Very Sad, we go back a long way my friend..!

I think it had a lot to do with Imgur........

Last edited by teabelly; 04-11-2024 at 03:00 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to teabelly For This Useful Post: