Page 2545 of 3671 FirstFirst ... 1545 2045 2445 2495 2535 2543 2544 2545 2546 2547 2555 2595 2645 3045 3545 ... LastLast
Results 38,161 to 38,175 of 55059

Thread: Post what you are thinking at this very moment

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    That capsule was spinning like a top, then it hit the atmosphere and started burning like a marshmallow on a campfire, and I'm sure he was pulling oh, about 27 G's by the time the chute opened.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Goofy (10-20-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    I've never been. Tried snowboarding once back when I was 15 or 16 when I was living in Vermont, but after a full day of beating the mountain into submission with my face, I decided that it wasn't really for me.
    We went with our school in grade 10 to Fortress Mountain. I'm surrounded by Olympic class ski resorts and they tend to feature one or two beginner hills along with some pretty intense runs.

I took the little lesson, then promptly went to the runs that more gifted skiers use...and I only wiped out once. Run was called Canadian (frontside) and that's exactly what happened. I got air on the moguls at the top...and face planted almost all the way down to the bottom The instructors were concerned.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Goofy (10-20-2017), Teh One Who Knocks (10-20-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    That capsule was spinning like a top, then it hit the atmosphere and started burning like a marshmallow on a campfire, and I'm sure he was pulling oh, about 27 G's by the time the chute opened.
    My Ford Focus pulls 27 G's on tight corners

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    My friend had a rubber ball on his dash (dash had a little gutter across it) with numbers written on it. His G-force ball when we went around corners

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    We went with our school in grade 10 to Fortress Mountain. I'm surrounded by Olympic class ski resorts and they tend to feature one or two beginner hills along with some pretty intense runs.

I took the little lesson, then promptly went to the runs that more gifted skiers use...and I only wiped out once. Run was called Canadian (frontside) and that's exactly what happened. I got air on the moguls at the top...and face planted almost all the way down to the bottom The instructors were concerned.

Yeah, it wasn't a lot of fun, especially since I had to pay for that experience

Mountain 1
    Lance 0

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (10-20-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    How many turbos does it have?

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    And turntables.. How many turntables?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post

Yeah, it wasn't a lot of fun, especially since I had to pay for that experience

Mountain 1
    Lance 0
    beating the mountain into submission with my face...

I missed that first time around

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (10-20-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I have a few friends that are serious skiers...I mean serious as in hitting the backside and off trail runs that aren't monitored by anyone.

One crazy guy wears the avalanche belt GPS gear and goes deep into the boonies.

He got caught in a snow slide and was buried up to his waist. Dug himself out, made a fire...took off his skis and had to hike back up to a common trail hours later. Ski boots make that a little difficult. So when he relates the near-death experience to anyone, his eyes light up and he smiles like it's the best fucking Christmas ever

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yeah, I had some friends back in Vermont that were hardcore skiers. It just wasn't for me And out here it's just way too expensive unless you buy a season pass.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    This guy got a gleam in his eye when talking about skiing and looked similar to people who defuse bombs and skydive from bridges

I hate snow so eating pounds of it and freezing parts of my face and hands do not make it a 'want' in my books.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (10-20-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I remember...

Sitting in the backyard during the summer with the radio on listening to songs like Crocodile Rock, Rock the Boat and Kung Fu fighting. It was a different time because everything seemed to mean a lot more. We would wait to hear a certain song on the radio, and then freak out because they played it...that day. If you wanted to hear it more often, you bought the album. And albums usually contained seven or eight so-so songs, along with your favorite two songs.

A magazine was passed around if it had pictures or articles that were cool, no one bought multiple copies. A phone call was a big deal because to go hang out with a friend, you usually just walked over to their place and knocked on the door.

A toy was valued and kept for years. No replacements. My GI Joe had missing fingers, hair shaved off and a missing foot. If he was a vet, he would have had six Purple Heart medals. I had a toy called a 'Verti-Bird', which was a helicopter on a two foot stiff cable that extended from a central hub. It only spun around the hub in a clockwise direction, but you could dictate the height it flew at and make it hover with the controls. I had this building set that was pre-Lego and it featured little empty square frames, corner joiners and various 'wallboard or see-thru plastic glass' squares that fit into the frames. The possibilities were endless when creating a house or skyscraper or whatever. Tonka trucks were made of metal and over a foot long. You could sit on them when you were small and they never broke.

Playing a board game was an all afternoon into night thing, complete with snacks and pop. When you went home after, you were tired and satisfied from the experience. Your friends were your friends without condition. It took a family move or a death usually to end childhood relationships. We played sports all day long and no one got dehydrated or mad if they lost. We had Kool Aid and instant forgiveness.

Some kids had more things than others, and there was sadness and embarrassment if you had less than, or a crappy version of the in-thing. But it never stopped the less fortunate kids from playing with kids who had everything. There were levels and this built-in kind of respect of where you stood without ever talking about it.

When someone's Mom would call a kid's name to come in at night 'from miles away', no one would tease the guy or laugh. We would all be genuinely disappointed and feel a little sorry for him because he had to go 1/2 an hour before everyone else.

Riding bikes, playing war, playing sports and games, watching movies...it all meant something because it was real.

I feel sorry for kids today. They have everything and do nothing.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Pony (10-20-2017), Teh One Who Knocks (10-20-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    whoa, not sure where that came from

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I remember...

Sitting in the backyard during the summer with the radio on listening to songs like Crocodile Rock, Rock the Boat and Kung Fu fighting. It was a different time because everything seemed to mean a lot more. We would wait to hear a certain song on the radio, and then freak out because they played it...that day. If you wanted to hear it more often, you bought the album. And albums usually contained seven or eight so-so songs, along with your favorite two songs.

A magazine was passed around if it had pictures or articles that were cool, no one bought multiple copies. A phone call was a big deal because to go hang out with a friend, you usually just walked over to their place and knocked on the door.

A toy was valued and kept for years. No replacements. My GI Joe had missing fingers, hair shaved off and a missing foot. If he was a vet, he would have had six Purple Heart medals. I had a toy called a 'Verti-Bird', which was a helicopter on a two foot stiff cable that extended from a central hub. It only spun around the hub in a clockwise direction, but you could dictate the height it flew at and make it hover with the controls. I had this building set that was pre-Lego and it featured little empty square frames, corner joiners and various 'wallboard or see-thru plastic glass' squares that fit into the frames. The possibilities were endless when creating a house or skyscraper or whatever. Tonka trucks were made of metal and over a foot long. You could sit on them when you were small and they never broke.

Playing a board game was an all afternoon into night thing, complete with snacks and pop. When you went home after, you were tired and satisfied from the experience. Your friends were your friends without condition. It took a family move or a death usually to end childhood relationships. We played sports all day long and no one got dehydrated or mad if they lost. We had Kool Aid and instant forgiveness.

Some kids had more things than others, and there was sadness and embarrassment if you had less than, or a crappy version of the in-thing. But it never stopped the less fortunate kids from playing with kids who had everything. There were levels and this built-in kind of respect of where you stood without ever talking about it.

When someone's Mom would call a kid's name to come in at night 'from miles away', no one would tease the guy or laugh. We would all be genuinely disappointed and feel a little sorry for him because he had to go 1/2 an hour before everyone else.

Riding bikes, playing war, playing sports and games, watching movies...it all meant something because it was real.

I feel sorry for kids today. They have everything and do nothing.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (10-20-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks