Page 2827 of 3670 FirstFirst ... 1827 2327 2727 2777 2817 2825 2826 2827 2828 2829 2837 2877 2927 3327 ... LastLast
Results 42,391 to 42,405 of 55050

Thread: Post what you are thinking at this very moment

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    Untrue! I was a sister in solidarity of support when the other guys LANCE were making fun of you.

Your resource use hovers around 11 gigs? May I ask what you're doing daily, Skynet?
    I make fun of, because it's funny

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    I make fun of, because it's funny
    See DGX, if we go back in the archives it was the other lads tormenting you on your timing before purchasing.

I am however going to call you the LA Ram now..... because 24 gigs

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Untrue! I was a sister in solidarity of support when the other guys LANCE were making fun of you.

Your resource use hovers around 11 gigs? May I ask what you're doing daily, Skynet?
    See DGX, if we go back in the archives it was the other lads tormenting you on your timing before purchasing.

I am however going to call you the LA Ram now..... because 24 gigs
    No, I'm pretty sure you both made fun of me. Or at least asked what the hell I was waiting for on a daily basis. It was 10 years ago anyway, so I suppose it doesn't matter.

Truthfully, the more RAM you have, the more 64 bit Windows 10 allocates to tasks. It used to be that 32 bit Windows OSes couldn't assign byte addresses above a certain amount to processes, but 64 bit Windows 10 can, or at least the limit is way higher, and most programs are coded to run on multithreads now so they'll eat up more memory... virtual, swap/pagefile space, and physical RAM... than they used to. If you keep programs open for a while, it'll eat up more memory than usual and I keep stuff open for days on end. I usually reboot my computer once a week, unless updates need to be installed, but for the most part, my computer's always on and running something. That's just the way I roll.

It's better to have it than to not have it. Any time I have the option to max a particular resource, I'm gonna do it. I'm not gonna suffer for it.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    No, I'm pretty sure you both made fun of me. Or at least asked what the hell I was waiting for on a daily basis. It was 10 years ago anyway, so I suppose it doesn't matter.

Truthfully, the more RAM you have, the more 64 bit Windows 10 allocates to tasks. It used to be that 32 bit Windows OSes couldn't assign byte addresses above a certain amount to processes, but 64 bit Windows 10 can, or at least the limit is way higher, and most programs are coded to run on multithreads now so they'll eat up more memory... virtual, swap/pagefile space, and physical RAM... than they used to. If you keep programs open for a while, it'll eat up more memory than usual and I keep stuff open for days on end. I usually reboot my computer once a week, unless updates need to be installed, but for the most part, my computer's always on and running something. That's just the way I roll.

It's better to have it than to not have it. Any time I have the option to max a particular resource, I'm gonna do it. I'm not gonna suffer for it.
    So your ram use is not because of one big program like video encoding or crunching huge datasets of numbers, it's just because you leave it on doing things?

I learned a lot from that article and remember it because the guy always opened 100 tabs for his ram tests. I may open four or five if I'm busy The guy did say your OS will try to chew through ram and be a big user, along with certain apps you may not realize that use a lot of ram in the background.

Playing newer games will hit the processor and physical ram more than in the past, because of how the code is written. The killer there is people who open a live Twitch stream while playing, which involves a camera and multiple connections from watchers who are texting with the host. In that case it's the Twitch stream eating up all of the ram.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    the Georgia Ram

I gotta go get snacks,
    brb

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Believe it or not crunching huge datasets of numbers won't take up a huge amount of memory, if you know how to code the program right. But for the most part, I just leave the computer on. Sometimes I'm running code on something, sometimes I'm downloading junk, and sometimes it's just on with 3 or 4 browser windows open. Sometimes it's not doing anything at all, I just don't want to shut it off.

Windows does have a few processes that are massive memory hogs. I'm constantly killing processes that shouldn't be running at all. Linux is better in that way.

I'm not much for gaming on the PC, even though I have the hardware to handle it... or at least I used to. I did put this system together 10 years ago. I could probably use a better video card than the one I've got in there now. I just don't feel like buying a new one.

I think if I put a new system together, it would be a music recording and editing machine. There's a ton of hardware/software out now that you don't even need amplifiers for, you could just plug your guitar into the hardware and you can dial up the simulated sound you're looking for in the software. You don't even need a mixing board anymore, everything's done digitally.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Believe it or not crunching huge datasets of numbers won't take up a huge amount of memory, if you know how to code the program right. But for the most part, I just leave the computer on. Sometimes I'm running code on something, sometimes I'm downloading junk, and sometimes it's just on with 3 or 4 browser windows open. Sometimes it's not doing anything at all, I just don't want to shut it off.

Windows does have a few processes that are massive memory hogs. I'm constantly killing processes that shouldn't be running at all. Linux is better in that way.

I'm not much for gaming on the PC, even though I have the hardware to handle it... or at least I used to. I did put this system together 10 years ago. I could probably use a better video card than the one I've got in there now. I just don't feel like buying a new one.

I think if I put a new system together, it would be a music recording and editing machine. There's a ton of hardware/software out now that you don't even need amplifiers for, you could just plug your guitar into the hardware and you can dial up the simulated sound you're looking for in the software. You don't even need a mixing board anymore, everything's done digitally.
    I still can't get over you using around 11 gigs of ram on the daily. And yes, I may have been one of the teasers when you bought your PC, but only because I found someone who took longer than me to buy a new one.

I was thinking along similar lines for my next PC since I only game about once per week and only for an hour at a time. You know that gamers typically have to boost every component after the vidcard..better mobo, more ram, better PSU..and it goes on and on.

Now I read and listen to podcasts mostly on my PC, so I can...probably cut out a discrete vidcard. Wow, I had troubles typing that
    I've never not bought a video card with my PC's.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks

that video card has 11 gigs of Vram on it

and that system better cook toast and make coffee for that price.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    that video card has 11 gigs of Vram on it

and that system better cook toast and make coffee for that price.
    It's dual vid cards with 11 gigs each

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Hey I just happened to keep a build I was playing around with in Oct last year.

Please note it was a budget build so 8 gigs ram, 500 gig SSD, cheaper midrange vidcard with 2 gigs Vram.

The only elite item would be the Seasonic power supply as they have a good reputation for reliability.

Also note it's only an i3-8100 processor, but one that works extremely well in tandem with the GTX 1O50 vidcard

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It's dual vid cards with 11 gigs each
    22 gigs of Vram in SLI...so a person can add real mountains to Google Earth

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I think you could run the entire DoD missile defense system on that rig

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I think you could run the entire DoD missile defense system on that rig
    Or open up multiple instances of Hearts, Freecell, Minesweeper, Pinball and Solitaire!!!

*does Win 10 even include those craptastic games? I've never opened any of those Windows games on my Win 7 PC.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I'm not sure, I don't think they come on the machine anymore, you get them as "apps" from the MS store now I believe.