Page 2876 of 3671 FirstFirst ... 1876 2376 2776 2826 2866 2874 2875 2876 2877 2878 2886 2926 2976 3376 ... LastLast
Results 43,126 to 43,140 of 55059

Thread: Post what you are thinking at this very moment

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,562 Times in 5,212 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    So I was just choking on a morning med that got lodged in my throat. Had to cough up my coffee to dislodge it. I stood there in the kitchen, my shirt, counter, and floor covered in coffee and started laughing loudly. The comedic irony of dying from choking on an an anti-anxiety medication was too good.
    They are designed to almost kill you...thus requiring more medication!

tm.org

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-08-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,888 Posts
    Well, trying to work out an instrumental version of Bill Withers " Ain't no sunshine" started off with the tele and the bassbreaker. Wound up going with the les Paul. Sounds so much better for this particular riff. Loooooooooong way to go. Trying to figure out what Marty Schwartz is doing with this song in his vid for his new looper pedal.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinD For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (03-08-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    Well, trying to work out an instrumental version of Bill Withers " Ain't no sunshine" started off with the tele and the bassbreaker. Wound up going with the les Paul. Sounds so much better for this particular riff. Loooooooooong way to go. Trying to figure out what Marty Schwartz is doing with this song in his vid for his new looper pedal.
    The secret with guitar is to pick an easy key, isn't it?

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    The secret with guitar is to pick an easy key, isn't it?
    All keys are easy. You only pick a key other than what you originally intended to use when your vocalist can't sing in the key you originally picked. Guitarists are supposed to be flexible and be able to play in any and every key.
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 03-08-2019 at 04:44 AM.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Goofy (03-08-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    Wanted to apologize again. You had a concern about your Mom and I came in and stampeded all over the posts. I need to cut back on coffee and quit oversharing.

I don't cope with anger well and after watching Michael and reading about Columbine my mind is little confuzzled

gotta go for the day, see ya later masturbating gators..

wha?
    I didn't find anything objectionable. You're fine, brother.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-08-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (03-08-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    All keys are easy. You only pick a key other than what you originally intended to use when your vocalist can't sing in the key you originally picked. Guitarists are supposed to be flexible and be able to play in any and every key.
    Yeah, but aren't some more ideal to physically easier be able to play the chords? If you have a like D# major none of the open strings will work? Or perhaps I am thinking of the violin

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yeah, but aren't some more ideal to physically easier be able to play the chords? If you have a like D# major none of the open strings will work? Or perhaps I am thinking of the violin
    No, you're right. Having open strings available makes it easier and more convenient, but you don't want to limit yourself. What happens if you've got a vocalist with a fantastic vocal timbre, but a range that limits you to keys with minimal open strings? Granted, most vocalists will have a 1 and a half to 2 octave range, which should cover most every "simple" key, but some have a comfort zone and that may force you to have to play outside of those open string-dominated keys. Of course, there are ways around that... alternate tunings, capos, and simple inversions... but really, if you're gonna learn the instrument, learn it completely. Don't leave anything out. The guitar is like the piano in that it covers a number of octaves rather than be limited like say a trumpet or trombone. That's a very useful characteristic tool that you can use to convey whatever musical message you're trying to get across to your listener. That's why the guitar is such an awesome instrument, you can do/play anything you want on it. There's not many things that you're limited to playing on it.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    And by the way, D# is too complicated a key to be thinking about (F##, C##). Use E flat instead. It has the same tones, but with only 3 flats.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    No, you're right. Having open strings available makes it easier and more convenient, but you don't want to limit yourself. What happens if you've got a vocalist with a fantastic vocal timbre, but a range that limits you to keys with minimal open strings? Granted, most vocalists will have a 1 and a half to 2 octave range, which should cover most every "simple" key, but some have a comfort zone and that may force you to have to play outside of those open string-dominated keys. Of course, there are ways around that... alternate tunings, capos, and simple inversions... but really, if you're gonna learn the instrument, learn it completely. Don't leave anything out. The guitar is like the piano in that it covers a number of octaves rather than be limited like say a trumpet or trombone. That's a very useful characteristic tool that you can use to convey whatever musical message you're trying to get across to your listener. That's why the guitar is such an awesome instrument, you can do/play anything you want on it. There's not many things that you're limited to playing on it.
    Great right-up

Yeah, I really do like that aspect of the guitar. The stand-out versatility: Chords and melody. Accompaniment or solo, almost limitless timbre and range. AND..portability!

I'm doing locum work and this is my instrument. It keeps me going, but not a pinch on the real thing.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (03-08-2019), Goofy (03-08-2019), Muddy (03-08-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    And by the way, D# is too complicated a key to be thinking about (F##, C##). Use E flat instead. It has the same tones, but with only 3 flats.
    Yeah, I picked one of the hardest keys (at least piano-wise) to make my point. But yes, you are correct. They are essentially identical.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I wish I learned to play the piano when I was a kid. I can figure out seventh and ninth chords on it, and crawl around basic chord progressions at best, but I'm totally not coordinated on it. I've got one of those crappy keyboards that has all those god awful preset sounds on it, and I turn it on every once in a while when I want to make myself feel really good about my abilities on the guitar.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    All keys are easy.
    Well, duh. If it's not easy, you go have another one made.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I wish I learned to play the piano when I was a kid. I can figure out seventh and ninth chords on it, and crawl around basic chord progressions at best, but I'm totally not coordinated on it. I've got one of those crappy keyboards that has all those god awful preset sounds on it, and I turn it on every once in a while when I want to make myself feel really good about my abilities on the guitar.
    I've never known anyone average human being good at both. Must be a brain wiring thing
    Last edited by lost in melb.; 03-08-2019 at 12:27 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    I've never known anyone good at both. Must be a brain wiring thing
    Bowie was pretty good on both.......... but that's about the only name that springs to mind

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (03-08-2019)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    Bowie was pretty good on both.......... but that's about the only name that springs to mind
    Prince?

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Goofy (03-08-2019), lost in melb. (03-08-2019)