Page 2929 of 3670 FirstFirst ... 1929 2429 2829 2879 2919 2927 2928 2929 2930 2931 2939 2979 3029 3429 ... LastLast
Results 43,921 to 43,935 of 55050

Thread: Post what you are thinking at this very moment

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Somebody fucked up, clearly.
    You would know this better than I, but can't people make out of state purchases if the gun is transferred to another gun shop with the right federal license?
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    You would know this better than I, but can't people make out of state purchases if the gun is transferred to another gun shop with the right federal license?
    You can buy a firearm in another state, but that weapon must be transferred to a gun shop with an FFL in your state of residence. Plus there will be a transfer fee to get the weapon shipped to your home state. There is no legal way she could have purchased a weapon in Colorado AND taken possession of it in Colorado as a resident of the state of Florida.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (04-17-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    We can argue about ages all you want, but frankly, I've known people who owned and were taught to handle firearms before they hit double digits in age, and I would trust them with my life. I know how and what their parents/guardians taught them. I know what they believe. I know how they react to things. It's not something you can just throw a blanket policy over. This is about individuals, the way they were raised, their mental states, what they believe and everything else that could contribute to them being either incredibly trustworthy individuals who respect the sanctity of life or the single most dangerous individuals on the planet. This is really a case-by-case issue, and as ridiculously hard and cost intensive as it would be, it needs to be dealt with that way. A one-size fits all policy will not work here.
    It's my opinion on the matter not an invitation to an argument unless you see it that way. If teens can't drink at certain ages, the same can apply to purchasing deadly weapons.

Just as you may know people under 20 who are responsible gun users, there are people under 20 who are not. It's a step, not a one size fits all policy.

If people aren't prepared to attempt change to existing policies and give instant pushback to even the idea of trying to move the age of purchase, that's an indictment to part of the larger problem.

The existing one size fits all policy is not working either as facts have borne out. It won't hurt the teens who have to wait three years.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    It's my opinion on the matter not an invitation to an argument unless you see it that way. If teens can't drink at certain ages, the same can apply to purchasing deadly weapons.

Just as you may know people under 20 who are responsible gun users, there are people under 20 who are not. It's a step, not a one size fits all policy.

If people aren't prepared to attempt change to existing policies and give instant pushback to even the idea of trying to move the age of purchase, that's an indictment to part of the larger problem.

The existing one size fits all policy is not working either as facts have borne out. It won't hurt the teens who have to wait three years.
    But you're missing the major issue here, and I know you don't want to get into this, but it's important to understand: the right to keep and bear arms in this country is a foundational principle of our nation. It is a citizen's right. Technically speaking, there should not be any gun control laws at all in the United States. It is our birth right as citizens to own any weapon. It's in the Bill of Rights. It's not a privilege. Drinking alcohol, the ability to get a driver's license and drive a car, anything else you can name, are not fundamental rights here. They're awfully convenient privileges, especially that driving thing...

But this is the way our country was set up. This is how it is. I don't give a shit what politicians today say. If this country wants that to change then a Constitutional Amendment must be passed per the instructions in the US Constitution. Like they did with slavery, and women's right to vote, and civil rights... you can't just talk about policy like it's just something that can be done willy-nilly here. It doesn't work that way in this nation.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I want a sandwich.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    But you're missing the major issue here, and I know you don't want to get into this, but it's important to understand: the right to keep and bear arms in this country is a foundational principle of our nation. It is a citizen's right. Technically speaking, there should not be any gun control laws at all in the United States. It is our birth right as citizens to own any weapon. It's in the Bill of Rights. It's not a privilege. Drinking alcohol, the ability to get a driver's license and drive a car, anything else you can name, are not fundamental rights here. They're awfully convenient privileges, especially that driving thing...

But this is the way our country was set up. This is how it is. I don't give a shit what politicians today say. If this country wants that to change then a Constitutional Amendment must be passed per the instructions in the US Constitution. Like they did with slavery, and women's right to vote, and civil rights... you can't just talk about policy like it's just something that can be done willy-nilly here. It doesn't work that way in this nation.
    I understand how amendments work. They can be changed as you have noted above. You keep standing on this soap box speaking down to me like no one in the world can offer an opinion or suggestion if they don't live in Georgia and own a metric fuckton of weapons. Calling a suggestion of change "willy-nilly" and saying "it doesn't work that way in this nation" again belittles me. Doesn't work that way in my nation either pal.

Just because your nation 'was set up this way' and 'you don't give a shit what politicians say' does not mean the current system and policies are working.

Listen to me now. I made a comment and you made an argument. Your thoughts on treating gun ownership as a right, not a privilege and comparing the action to the privilege of driving are of course your own to support. I have a lot to say just about your comments above but I won't out of respect for you and our relationship.

But if you can, I want you to really think about what just transpired here. One person made a suggestion about changing the gun ownership age from 18 to 21 and you have made it sound like someone broke into your home and attempted to steal an organ from you. You've done this since we've met. Any whisper of possible change and you fly the stars and stripes, shouting for all to hear above the ramparts that your way is the best way and how dare you even suggest a small change! I suggest change because it's rarely been attempted before. And because change can be positive.

And you were right on one point. I didn't want to get into this. Your instant knee jerk reaction to any comments on the subject don't allow for any discussion. I have been polite, even supportive of certain aspects in the past. Maybe that's something I should note as well. If you don't agree with us all 100%, don't bother posting here. Thanks for censoring the idea of change, it really helps my understanding of some Americans and their mindset.

I'm out dude.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    You can buy a firearm in another state, but that weapon must be transferred to a gun shop with an FFL in your state of residence. Plus there will be a transfer fee to get the weapon shipped to your home state. There is no legal way she could have purchased a weapon in Colorado AND taken possession of it in Colorado as a resident of the state of Florida.
    So it can't work the other way? An Illinois dealer can't process the purchase and transfer the weapon for me to take possession of it in Colorado?

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    So it can't work the other way? An Illinois dealer can't process the purchase and transfer the weapon for me to take possession of it in Colorado?
    I don't believe so. I think you have to reside in the state that you're purchasing and taking possession of the weapon.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    I think I've been pretty consistently pro 2nd amendment in discussions here, with that said I would be OK with them raising the purchase age to 21. With exceptions in certain circumstances. Military service being one example.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    To follow up, per the ATF:

6. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?

Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

7. May I lawfully ship a firearm directly to an out-of-State licensee, or must I have a licensee in my State ship it to him? May the licensee return the firearm to me, even if the shipment is across State lines?

Any person may ship firearms directly to a licensee in any State, with no requirement for another licensee to ship the firearm. However, handguns are not mailable through the United States Postal Service and must be shipped via common or contract carrier.(18 U.S.C. §§ 1715). Firearms shipped to FFLs for repair or any other lawful purpose may be returned to the person from whom received without transferring the firearm through an FFL in the recipient’s State of residence. FFLs may also return a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom received. 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(2)(A).
    I don't think this directly answers your question (it doesn't mention having the FFL ship it out of state for you to pick up elsewhere), but I believe it's in the same ballpark.
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 04-17-2019 at 10:10 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-18-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I really hate computers sometimes

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It occurred to me today that the left is making the same inconsistent arguments with Trump that they made with GWB. Depending on what suited them, GWB was either a hapless dolt or an international criminal mastermind. I remember thinking at the the time how ridiculous they sounded. He can't be both.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-19-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It occurred to me today that the left is making the same inconsistent arguments with Trump that they made with GWB. Depending on what suited them, GWB was either a hapless dolt or an international criminal mastermind. I remember thinking at the the time how ridiculous they sounded. He can't be both.
    Or can he....?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-19-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I think my computer's about to take a dump.