Page 3609 of 3671 FirstFirst ... 2609 3109 3509 3559 3599 3607 3608 3609 3610 3611 3619 3659 ... LastLast
Results 54,121 to 54,135 of 55059

Thread: Post what you are thinking at this very moment

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,562 Times in 5,212 Posts
    I like Nolan ones, but glad he got out. He'd be wasting his time to go further with that mob.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    You don't like Gunn?

I thought the (late)Batman and joker movies were well done, but I didn't necessarily like them. Batman was good, but the Joker one, I couldn't finish it. Fck me, it was dark.

They feel completely disconnected though from the other DCEU so I'm not surprised they won't be part of it.

The whole confusion smacks of identity crisis. The woke movement is fizzling out and they have nowhere to go.
    Gunn has a very particular voice/style in the films he makes. If you watch his films inside and outside of the comic book genre, you'll see it: He's a smartass. It's not that that's a bad thing. I enjoy the Guardians of the Galaxy, Suicide Squad, and the Peacemaker series. I thought Slither was awesome. But they all have his sense of humor. It's like he can't write a serious film, and frankly some people might not be able to take his brand of humor. I don't think he's capable of a Winter Soldier type of film.

If you take the comics/cartoon out of it and look at it through the lens of an adult, then the Joker is a seriously dark character. Doing a serious character study on him would just lead you to Joker the film, or worse.

The Batman film was good, and people looking to write Neo-Noir should take notes from it.

Those dark films made a lot of money, so naturally, Warner Brothers and DC Studios are gonna ride that train, but they don't want that level of darkness permeating throughout the DCEU. They want to be able to show their films to kids too (and again, I think Gunn's a bad fit for that), and you don't want to damage the kids in the process with that level of darkness. Joker is fucking dark, so let's get another Joker that's a lot lighter but still a pain in the ass for our heroes to contend with.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,103 Times in 59,908 Posts
    The only real Joker was Cesar Romero

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Is anyone going to sawcon?

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Is anyone going to sawcon?
    Where do I enroll?

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Back from another trip to Toronto. That one was a huge waste of time, got a bad snowstorm so I had to cancel half the meetings I went for. My flight was cancelled and I barely made it home tonight. I'm pooped and kinda pissed off, and expected to come back again 3 more times in the next 7 weeks... this new role might be too much travel for me.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Back from another trip to Toronto. That one was a huge waste of time, got a bad snowstorm so I had to cancel half the meetings I went for. My flight was cancelled and I barely made it home tonight. I'm pooped and kinda pissed off, and expected to come back again 3 more times in the next 7 weeks... this new role might be too much travel for me.
    How many trips so far? I have to agree that travel is exhausting, even when it's a holiday.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Speaking of which, I'm back in South Australia since Tuesday this week. My formal holidays begin in 3 days. Can't wait to swim and ride and veg.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,103 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Not sure why the site was down earlier this morning or even for how long. I was up at 4 AM Mountain Time to take the dogs out and the site was offline then. I couldn't even reboot the server because I kept getting a "server unavailable" error. Had to open a ticket with the host and it took a few hours at least before I checked and saw it was back online again.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Not sure why the site was down earlier this morning or even for how long. I was up at 4 AM Mountain Time to take the dogs out and the site was offline then. I couldn't even reboot the server because I kept getting a "server unavailable" error. Had to open a ticket with the host and it took a few hours at least before I checked and saw it was back online again.
    I was trying to get on around the same time.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    How many trips so far? I have to agree that travel is exhausting, even when it's a holiday.
    This year was 6 trips to Toronto, plus the 3-week trip to Rome (partly for work), and Montreal and Austin for fun. Certainly not complaining about the fun trips, but the constant trips to Toronto are draining for sure. It's a 5 hour flight, the flights are constantly delayed and there's an hour commute on either side so it's an 8-9 hour travel day each way. Then you're staying in 3.5 star hotels, and away from the dog and wife for the week eating crappy food and not having much to do in the evening when work is done which is lonely. If the expectation next year is 10-14 trips to Toronto I might have to start looking for a different job.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    This year was 6 trips to Toronto, plus the 3-week trip to Rome (partly for work), and Montreal and Austin for fun. Certainly not complaining about the fun trips, but the constant trips to Toronto are draining for sure. It's a 5 hour flight, the flights are constantly delayed and there's an hour commute on either side so it's an 8-9 hour travel day each way. Then you're staying in 3.5 star hotels, and away from the dog and wife for the week eating crappy food and not having much to do in the evening when work is done which is lonely. If the expectation next year is 10-14 trips to Toronto I might have to start looking for a different job.
    I had no idea it was that many flights, or how far away it was. That's a big country. For context, Melbourne to Sydney is about an hour.

Do the trips feel essential to you, in terms of benefit for the company?

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Gunn has a very particular voice/style in the films he makes. If you watch his films inside and outside of the comic book genre, you'll see it: He's a smartass. It's not that that's a bad thing. I enjoy the Guardians of the Galaxy, Suicide Squad, and the Peacemaker series. I thought Slither was awesome. But they all have his sense of humor. It's like he can't write a serious film, and frankly some people might not be able to take his brand of humor. I don't think he's capable of a Winter Soldier type of film.

If you take the comics/cartoon out of it and look at it through the lens of an adult, then the Joker is a seriously dark character. Doing a serious character study on him would just lead you to Joker the film, or worse.

The Batman film was good, and people looking to write Neo-Noir should take notes from it.

Those dark films made a lot of money, so naturally, Warner Brothers and DC Studios are gonna ride that train, but they don't want that level of darkness permeating throughout the DCEU. They want to be able to show their films to kids too (and again, I think Gunn's a bad fit for that), and you don't want to damage the kids in the process with that level of darkness. Joker is fucking dark, so let's get another Joker that's a lot lighter but still a pain in the ass for our heroes to contend with.
    I agree with all of that. Warner and DC are yet to consistently nail the normal mainstream hero movie like mcu (mostly) does. Mcu got the formula right early and therefore has the advantage that they can keep doing the same thing. Which perhaps forces DC to be more experimental. Some flop and some are ok.
    Last edited by lost in melb.; 12-18-2022 at 08:41 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I had no idea it was that many flights, or how far away it was. That's a big country. For context, Melbourne to Sydney is about an hour.

Do the trips feel essential to you, in terms of benefit for the company?
    Haha ya and Toronto is only about 3/4 of the way across the country! They are fairly essential, we're just a small branch office here in Vancouver. Toronto is where all the directors/VP's/c-suite are and the execs of this company are over virtual meetings

My brother just flew to Australia with his fiance and her family for the holidays last night actually! 25 hour trip from here, partly because of delays/missing a connection, they had to go YVR to Sydney which is about 15 hours, Sydney to Brisbane (wrong direction I think, but they missed the only flight to Tasmania out of Sydney for the next 8 hours so it was still faster apparently), then to Hobart where his fiance's family lives. They're spending a week there, then some time on the Gold Coast. Very jealous, it's dumping snow here and looks like it's about 22 and sunny there.