Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do the SFPD’s ‘bait bikes’ stop thieves or entrap poor?

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

Really? Do the SFPD’s ‘bait bikes’ stop thieves or entrap poor?

By Kurtis Alexander - SFGate

San Francisco police are getting high praise for their “bait bikes” — the GPS-tracked bicycles they’ve been laying out across the city to lure thieves, who are then pounced upon.

The New York Times this week picked up on the story and posted a video about the crackdown. (At one point, surveillance footage shows a thief being tackled in the act.) Twitter has since lit up with glowing remarks about the program, presumably from the many who have had their bikes stolen in San Francisco.

But not everyone is throwing out compliments.

One of the threads circulating on Twitter offers a counter-argument to the program: that bait bikes unfairly seduce people into crime, namely the city’s poor. Furthermore, argues an assistant professor at the University of North Carolina, the program exacerbates the same class divide embodied by Google buses and Mission gentrification.

“In a city in which inequality is greatly increasing, in which those outside the tech industry are struggling to pay rents and deal with increasing cost of life, and in which flushed, moneyed tech employees are buying more and more expensive bikes (the article notes, can cost $10,000), those police are luring people to steal them by intentionally using bait bikes so expensive that the people tempted to steal them can be charged with felonies,” writes Zeynep Tufekci in a blog post.

Tufekci is not the first to challenge the idea of bait bikes. After Philadelphia launched a similar program last year, critics emerged.

“These kinds of programs —- which come dangerously close to entrapment (in spirit, if not in law) —- are exponentially more likely to net simple opportunists than serial bike thieves,” wrote @cmoraff at Philadelphia magazine.

But the San Francisco Police Department, which reports that bike theft has increased 70 percent in the past five years and now results in $4.6 million worth of losses annually, believes the program is anything but inequitable. It’s catching serial thieves who scout out nice bikes and break through locks, police say.

Officials responded directly on Twitter to the recent criticism.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    I am not a fan of this. Private citizens can add GPS tracking. However, I understand it and they are being caught committing a crime. The adverse impact on the poor argument is hogwash. Adverse impact on thieves.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yeah, I'm not exactly sure how the bleeding hearts are calling this 'entrapment'. If the bikes are locked up and the thief has to actually cut the lock/chain to take the bike, that is far away from being entrapment IMHO.

Like the old saying goes, locks are for honest people....

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    Yep, not entrapment. And I'm all for this.

So the laws shouldn't apply as strictly to those that are poor?

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    well,...I didnt see anything about the bait bikes being locked. if they arent that's fuggin entrapment.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FBD View Post
    well,...I didnt see anything about the bait bikes being locked. if they arent that's fuggin entrapment.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (05-29-2014), FBD (05-29-2014)

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 863 Posts
    Isn't "entrapment" inducing an otherwise law-abiding individual to commit an illegal act by means of enticement that overcomes his/her sense of propriety?

Don't know about you, FBD, but when I walk down the street, I'm not tempted to steal anything I see, valuable or junk, whether it's locked or not.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to perrhaps For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (05-29-2014), Pony (05-29-2014), Teh One Who Knocks (05-29-2014)

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    ok....my question to you, then, is....do you guys view what the FBI and CIA do similarly where they "try to entrap" terrorists....by giving them material support and aid...

I have a sense of propriety. others...?

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Prove that they do, and even if they did, apples and oranges.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    prove that they do? that aint exactly hidden knowledge, man.

easier to say "prove they lock every single one of these bikes"

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Look. All I'm gonna say is that what the SFPD is doing is perfectly legal. If people don't want to go to jail for theft, then they won't steal bikes. Simple.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 800 Posts
    You guys are missing the entire argument the bleeding hearts are trying to make.

The value of the bikes are so high it is an automatic felony. The bleeding hearts think that is too harsh for stealing a bike.

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Trip View Post
    You guys are missing the entire argument the bleeding hearts are trying to make.

The value of the bikes are so high it is an automatic felony. The bleeding hearts think that is too harsh for stealing a bike.
    If the thieves are going to invest in a nice pair of bolt cutters, they're not going to waste time cutting locks attached to cheap bikes, now are they?

By the way, who carries bolt cutters around with them anyway? Budding locksmiths?

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Look. All I'm gonna say is that what the SFPD is doing is perfectly legal. If people don't want to go to jail for theft, then they won't steal bikes. Simple.
    nancy pelosi says obamacare is perfectly legal too. I'm sorry, I just have a problem with police doing things to entice and entrap citizens so that they can put 'em through the ringer and extract revenue from them. its like a double fuck you that they are making sure the value of the bikes is high enough so as to trigger a felony - so how much more in fines etc does the city get vs a misdemeanor?

follow the money, its all about "revenue." damn near the majority of police out there have no business carrying a badge and they prove it on a regular basis.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FBD View Post
    nancy pelosi says obamacare is perfectly legal too. I'm sorry, I just have a problem with police doing things to entice and entrap citizens so that they can put 'em through the ringer and extract revenue from them. its like a double fuck you that they are making sure the value of the bikes is high enough so as to trigger a felony - so how much more in fines etc does the city get vs a misdemeanor?

follow the money, its all about "revenue." damn near the majority of police out there have no business carrying a badge and they prove it on a regular basis.
    How in the world is having a locked bike out in public 'enticing' someone to steal it? Either you're a fucking thief or you aren't, there's no grey area here. Comparing Obamacare to bicycle thefts is asinine, I'm sorry.

If I park my locked truck out in public that happens to be equipped with a LoJack device that helps the cops disable and locate it, is that entrapment too if someone breaks into it and steals it?