Thread: 'Maybe it's not about the happy ending, maybe it's about the story': Heartbroken family find inspirational 3,000-word secret message written on back of mirror after daughter, 13, dies of cancer

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

Sad 'Maybe it's not about the happy ending, maybe it's about the story': Heartbroken family find inspirational 3,000-word secret message written on back of mirror after daughter, 13, dies of cancer

By Richard Spillett - The Daily Mail

After their daughter lost her fight with cancer, Dean and Caroline Orchard knew they had to face the devastating task of sorting through her belongings.

What they didn’t know was that they would discover something that would make them feel closer to 13-year-old Athena than ever.

On the back of her bedroom mirror, the little girl had secretly written a 3,000 word message for her parents and siblings.

In it, she gives advice for them to live by and reveals her unshakeably positive attitude, writing: ‘Every day is special, so make the most of it. You could get a life-ending illness tomorrow so make the most of every day. Life is only bad if you make it bad.’

Mr Orchard, 33, said: ‘I started reading it but before long I had to stop because it was too much. It was heartbreaking.’

Athena was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, a form of bone cancer, at the age of 12, after collapsing just before Christmas in the kitchen of the family’s home in New Parks, Leicester.

She had an emergency seven-and-a-half hour operation to remove a tumour on her spine, followed by months of chemotherapy targeting the cancer in her spine, shoulder and head.

She lost her hair and much of her strength – but not her positive outlook. In marker pen on the back of the mirror, she wrote: ‘Happiness depends upon ourselves. Maybe it’s not about the happy ending, maybe it’s about the story. The purpose of life is a life of purpose. The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.’

Despite treatment, Athena’s condition deteriorated quickly, and she died at home last week, surrounded by her family.

Days later, her parents discovered her message while moving the mirror that stood against her bedroom wall.

Mr Orchard, who gave up work as a landscape gardener when his daughter became ill, said: ‘I couldn’t believe it, I saw all this writing, it must have been about 3,000 words. It’s so touching. When I first saw it, it just blew me away.

‘She never mentioned it, but it’s the kind of thing she’d do. She was a very spiritual person, she’d go on about stuff that I could never understand – she was so clever.’

Athena, who leaves behind six sisters and three brothers – Naysa, one, Letissia-Dior, two, Indika-Mayah, four, Tiana, five, Harley, eight, Porscha and Ethan, 11, Clayton, 14, and Ria, 17 – also wrote movingly about love, saying: ‘I’m waiting to fall in love with someone I can open my heart to.

‘Love is rare, life is strange, nothing lasts and people change.’

Full-time mother Mrs Orchard, 37, described her ‘beautiful and athletic’ daughter as ‘the bravest person I know’. She said yesterday: ‘We knew that Athena loved to write, that was part of who she was, it made her happy.

‘Dean started to try and read [the message] but then he just broke out in tears. She was an incredible girl, so bright and so strong, she continually amazed me.

‘She was always positive, even when she was in hospital she would be looking after me, making sure I ate and telling me not to cry.

‘We knew the cancer was very aggressive … she fought it as long as she could but eventually she became too weak to get out of bed.

‘We’re keeping the mirror forever. Just reading her words felt like she was still here with us. She had such an incredible spirit.’
    Athena pictured (centre right, with yellow hair ties) in a childhood photo with her brothers and sisters

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Damn dust in this room... got some in my eye...

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    I'll be unpopular here...people with life threatening situations know this advice already and live it..because they have no choice.

most of us don't follow this advice and we should, no matter what our situations are....that's the really sad thing about life, we waste it

He who laughs, lasts. Noilly Pratt's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 705 Posts
    I hear you, Hal.

They say youth is wasted on the young. Go one step further and you could say life is wasted on the living. Sometimes we don't fully appreciate what we have (our lives or other's lives) until we're near the end of it.

Signature created way-back-when by Goofy

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    I think we could all do better in everything from how we treat our bodies, to how we treat other people..

knowing better and doing better are sometimes sooo far apart

and yes I am completely guilty of the above

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    :aww:

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)