Thread: The Edge of Tomorrow, with Tom 'I want my money back' Cruise

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks

The Edge of Tomorrow, with Tom 'I want my money back' Cruise

Surprised not to see a thread here (or maybe word of mouth is that good and you have all avoided this PoS), obviously some minor SPOILERS so dont read anymore if you care.

This movie is billed as an 'interesting new twist' on time-travel, if by 'interesting new twist' they meant the same shit stain industry execs who's only thought process is, "Hey, video games are hot. If we can somehow merge this film with video game elements, we will sell more tickets and can seque right into the merchandising!" -ala Hobbit movies, Star Wars prequels, and gems like 'Doom:the movie'.

The plot is asinine and completely transparent, despite the fact that they could employ any number of plot devices thanks to Time Fucking Travel. The only decent part of it is that the main characters start doing something incredibly stupid and impossible, and you sit there thinking that it is incredibly stupid and impossible, and then Tom comes to that same realization and changes his plan of action accordingly. Then you breathe a little sigh of relief as the rest of your soul imperceptibly continues to die in your reclining theater chair while begging for just one more bite of stale popcorn and another sip of carmel flavored HFCS.

Seriously, its that bad. The background scenes are nicely done, and the action sequences are entertaining enough. *cough* Except for the horrible CGI monsters, replete with the Nintendo syndrome of 'that one is slightly bigger and a different color and is therefor worth more points'. The problem is that the monsters are in every other scene. The basic premise is worth a few easy jokes, but then it just falls flat on its face, sequing from tired, overused exposition, to stale repetition, right into the typical predictable mid and ending sequences. I knew what was going to happen before they ever even got there, and spoiler alert, I cant even fucking time travel. And here's a kicker. They put in an Easter Egg if you can call it that. See if you can spot the gaping hole hiding in plain sight behind THE key plot point.

So on a scale of Scientologist on Oprah's couch to Top Gun, I would give this one maybe one and a half Toms.

And I liked Oblivion. Even tho it suffered from a weak, predictable plot as well, at least they put some effort into that one.
    Last edited by daggaz; 06-17-2014 at 12:31 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daggaz For This Useful Post:

KevinD (06-17-2014), lost in melb. (06-17-2014)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,562 Times in 5,212 Posts
    Last edited by lost in melb.; 06-17-2014 at 12:55 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,562 Times in 5,212 Posts
    DVD time based on your review? Pity, it looked good

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yeah, this is a definite DVD or quite frankly, torrent target.

I'd watch it if I had no chance of getting laid and there was nothing better on.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daggaz View Post
    I'd watch it if I had no chance of getting laid and there was nothing better on.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    nice piece Daggaz, thanks

"So on a scale of Scientologist on Oprah's couch to Top Gun, I would give this one maybe one and a half Toms."

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    I liked Oblivion as well

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thats because Oblivion was decently good (and could have been much better if they put a little more effort into the script, much like The Matrix), and had phenomenal visuals on top of it. They even salvaged some of the predictability by playing the clone twist for all it was worth, which was a pleasant surprise considering how 2 dimensional the rest of the plot was.