Thread: Illinois mom accused of faking cancer for money arrested on way to 'Dr. Phil' show: report

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,103 Times in 59,908 Posts

Wanker Illinois mom accused of faking cancer for money arrested on way to 'Dr. Phil' show: report

BY Nina Golgowski - NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

An Illinois mother accused of scaming people into believing that both she and her son have cancer for money was arrested while allegedly en route to appear on the "Dr. Phil" show.

Melissa D. Barton, 25, was collared while allegedly attempting to board a Chicago-bound plane at Springfield's Abraham Lincoln Capital Airport Wednesday, police told the Belleville News-Democrat.

Barton's arrest came just eight days after she was first arrested on a single felony charge of theft by deception. The second charge followed the discovery of additional victims, said police.

Whether Chicago was in fact the Troy mother’s final destination — since the TV talk show films in Los Angeles — does not appear to be known.

Troy Police Chief Brad Parsons told the News-Democrat that he doesn't believe Barton was trying to flee the area to escape her charges. A request from CBS confirming her scheduled TV appearance was not immediately returned to the Daily News.

Since allegations of Barton's financial scheme first emerged this month, the embattled mother has publicly disputed the claims of her lies.

Earlier this month police said she told a Maryville church on a written form that she needed $600 to pay her rent while suffering from cancer along with her son, whom she said has leukemia.

"I would like to see that because somebody must have forged my hand writing or signature because I didn't write it," Barton told Fox3 News.

The church declined to press charges against her and did not want the money returned, the station reported.

Police at the time of that arrest estimated that Barton had managed to scheme between $500 and $10,000 from sympathizers in person and online.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    when people fake that they have cancer...I believe that real cancer patients should be able to beat the shit out of them

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts