Thread: Star Wars surprise:

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts

Geeky Star Wars surprise:

A man who was taking publicity shots for a flying school returned home to find he had captured images of spacecraft from the new Star Wars film.

Matthew Myatt originally thought his pictures of the Millennium Falcon and an X-Wing fighter were experimental aircraft at Greenham Common, Berkshire.

He said: "It wasn't too clear until I viewed the picture and then realised what it was. I grew up with Star Wars so I started jumping around."

Episode VII is being filmed in the UK.

'Falcon paint job'
    The images sparked excitement among Star Wars fans on the internet.

Dolphin558 wrote on www.theforce.net: "Wow. I had heard the Millennium Falcon would be in Episode VII but it looks like X-Wings will make an appearance as well."

Jacklyn Thrapp tweeted: "That is amazing." Char10tti3 tweeted: "At least it's not all CGI."

Another fan, @ACQUlESCE, added: "Looks like the falcon got a paint job."

Tom Cronin wrote: "Who'd've guessed filmmakers still build physical models?"

The picture, taken above Greenham Common, a former RAF airbase, appears to show a partly-built Millennium Falcon, Han Solo's beloved spaceship.

Also visible is an X-Wing fighter, although it is mostly covered from view.

Mr Myatt, who works at Airbourne Aviation flying club as a simulations engineer, was photographing one plane from another during a flight from the school's base at Popham Airfield, Micheldever, in Hampshire.

He said: "I didn't know it was there, and we flew down and did some orbits. It was based around the old cruise missile silo.

"It wasn't until I got back last night and started going through the images that it just jumped out at me.

"I was quite stunned. It was like, 'wow'. That's how the picture came about, purely by luck.

"I had to go and grab my son who's a big Star Wars fan and get him to come and look at the picture and pinch me and make sure I'd seen what I'd seen.

"It was one of those unbelievable moments."

Disney, which owns Lucasfilm, the company behind the Star Wars films, declined to comment on the pictures.

Jordan Farley, writer for SFX magazine, said the airbase was a possible filming location "because it's a big open space and they're going to need a lot of space".

And the Falcon's "half" appearance can be put down to modern filming techniques, he explained.

"They may be planning to shoot from one side and have a practical model, and extend it with computer graphics, because it's incredibly expensive to build a prop of this size."

As well as filming at Pinewood Studios since May, parts of Episode VII have also been shot in Abu Dhabi and on Skellig Michael, Ireland.

The film will see the return of the three principal characters from the original trilogy - Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) and Han Solo (Harrison Ford).

Ford broke his leg on set in June while filming a scene involving a door on the Falcon, causing a delay in shooting.

The movie is due in cinemas in December 2015.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29144135

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    "at least it's not all CGI"

sorry to break it to you honey, they will still insert those large ships into CGI space, CGI docking ports, CGI crashes..

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Over a year away That's like a galaxy far far away.......

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It's hard for me to get excited about this after the horror show that Lucas put us through with the prequels.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    he's not involved anymore

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I know, but he caused permanent genetic damage to my StarWars DNA.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deebakes View Post
    he's not involved anymore
    J.J. Abrams is just as bad, if not worse.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I dont know. I grew up watching old school star trek, graduated to TNG, and then got to see it ass raped by the later spin-offs which took TNG 'soap opera in space' missteps to a whole new level of lame. I would have to say that J.J. Abrams did a great job bringing the original style of star trek into the world of modern special effects and intense action, without going down the Michael 'explosions and bad CGI is all you need' Bay route. Of course, the casting (especially Quinto. Damn, absolutely spock on) was essential to preserving the old school atmosphere.

At any rate, I found them not just nostalgic, but entertaining and definitely rewatchable, even if they don't rank as high on my all time sci-fi list, as they maybe could have.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daggaz View Post
    I dont know. I grew up watching old school star trek, graduated to TNG, and then got to see it ass raped by the later spin-offs which took TNG 'soap opera in space' missteps to a whole new level of lame. I would have to say that J.J. Abrams did a great job bringing the original style of star trek into the world of modern special effects and intense action, without going down the Michael 'explosions and bad CGI is all you need' Bay route. Of course, the casting (especially Quinto. Damn, absolutely spock on) was essential to preserving the old school atmosphere.

At any rate, I found them not just nostalgic, but entertaining and definitely rewatchable, even if they don't rank as high on my all time sci-fi list, as they maybe could have.

I agree with this...but will wait for James T. Lance to come in and tell you that's wrong

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    star trek has always been shit

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    star trek has always been shit

*phasers on kill.....*

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    phasers even sounds gay

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Back when I was a kid, it was either star trek or the dukes of hazzard. I had playboys up in my tree fort, so Daisy didn't really pull the rest of the show along for me.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    phasers even sounds gay

Star Trek predated and influenced everything you hold dear my friend...legendary doesn't even come close to describing Star Trek the original series