Thread: Feminists decry 'no belly, no butts, no bras' dress code policy, accuse university of 'slut-shaming'

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,105 Times in 59,910 Posts

Stupid Feminists decry 'no belly, no butts, no bras' dress code policy, accuse university of 'slut-shaming'

Maggie Lit - Campus Reform

Resident advisors (RAs) at an all-women’s college are claiming the college’s “Training Expectations” guide—which requires that students’ consent to the “no belly, no butts, no bras” dress code policy—is “slut-shaming” and “mak[es] women conform to an ideal of corporate feminism.”

Barnard College, a small liberal arts college in New York known for its progressive and feminist leanings, distributed the guide two weeks ago on the first day of orientation training. The guide contains a dress code contract which requires that dorm advisors agree they will “dress appropriately” and acknowledge that the school is “a work environment.”

“While we want you to be comfortable, this is a work environment. In the words of from [sic] our friends in Admissions, ‘No belly, no butts, no bras,’ meaning that none of these should be showing in the clothing you choose to wear. We ask that you come dressed as you did for Group Process. Those dressed inappropriately will be asked by their HD to go home and change.”

According to Business Insider, in order to become an RA, applicants apply, interview and train for the position. It is assumed they will “adhere to personal and professional conduct as outlined by the school.”

Still, the college’s RAs say that the dress code was not “discussed or negotiat[ed]” before signing.

“It was printed and we were made to sign a contract regarding expectations for training,” one BC RA told Feministing. “No one said anything, we weren’t asked. We read it aloud, but we didn’t consent to it.”

Another RA asserted that physical differences along racial lines could cause an RA to get in trouble, even if she was otherwise wearing the same clothing as another RA.

“I’d just like to highlight the racial aspects of it...certain bodies are policed and deemed as not welcome,” the RA said.

“It’s about control under the guise of protection, they’re grooming you,” said another RA. “This is under administrative policies that tend to maintain an ideal image of Barnard women, what do you think when you think of our president Debora Spar? White corporate feminist.”

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 863 Posts
    I don't see a problem with a PRIVATE school establishing any dress code.

Barnard College charges students well over $55,000.00 annually for tuition; room and meals. if you don't like the rules there, matriculate somewhere else.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to perrhaps For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (09-11-2014), RBP (09-11-2014)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    I agree completely....if you want young girls who dress like whores, there are plenty of other colleges, high schools, junior high schools, elementary schools where they do that..

it's sad really when I see a girl who looks about 9, wearing low rider jeans and a half cut tshirt saying OH BABY..

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    I want to know what their position is on all male universities

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Janus View Post
    I want to know what their position is on all male universities
    Cowgirl?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to perrhaps For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-12-2014)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,564 Times in 5,214 Posts
    i agree with this dress code. Tired o' seeing slutty whores that I never get to lay