#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Android Review: Android's 'Lollipop' upgrade is sweet

By ANICK JESDANUN - The Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) — Android's sweet new "Lollipop" flavor brings security improvements and easier ways to view and respond to notifications. The new Google software for mobile devices even lets you lend out your phone without worrying about a friend circulating your naked selfies on Facebook.

I tested Lollipop on Google's new Nexus 6 phone, which comes out this week. I can only hope that as other phones get the upgrade over time, it will be as good as what you get on the Nexus.

It's a shame many phone manufacturers that use Android believe they have to tweak it extensively to make the software theirs and not Google's. Mucking around with it only confuses customers and steers app developers toward working on iPhone versions first, where there is more uniformity — and thus incentive to incorporate the latest features.

Assuming your phone maker is running Lollipop in its purest form, here's what you'll get:

___

NOTIFICATIONS

You used to have to pull down the notification tray from the top, as you would a window shade. With Lollipop, notifications appear in the center of the lock screen. You can expand messages and reply right from the lock screen.

If you've set up a passcode — more on that in a bit — you'll be prompted to enter it before composing that reply. You also have the option to block all notifications or just those from specific apps if you're worried about privacy. Or you can choose to hide sensitive content. In those cases, you'll see you got an email or text, but you won't see who sent it or what the message says.

You can also choose "priority" mode and get notifications only from apps you mark as priority. In that mode, you can also choose to accept calls and texts only from known contacts or favorites. You still see all incoming calls or messages if you're looking, but you're not disrupted by vibrations or rings.

___

SECURITY

Too often, I've turned off the passcode on my Android phone because I get tired of entering it every time I pick it up. With Lollipop, you can keep your phone unlocked when it's near a trusted device of your choosing — say, a Bluetooth-enabled car or an Android smartwatch. Bluetooth range can extend 30 feet or more, so be sure you trust your friends if you step away without your phone. Or delete those naked selfies first.

With Lollipop, Android also joins Apple's iOS 8 software in encrypting data by default. This is important if your phone is lost or stolen.

MULTIPLE PROFILES

If you lend your phone out, or share it with a family member, you'll now have profile options. You can set up to four profiles, each with its own settings, contacts, photos and apps. Each user can be at a different level on "Candy Crush Saga." Or a friend can download it without having it clutter your apps list. Likewise, guests can use their own email and Facebook accounts — not yours.

Some options are disabled if you're not the owner. For instance, your kid won't be able to restore the phone to factory settings and wipe out all your data. But friends or family can update your apps and accept permissions on your behalf. It's your choice whether they can make calls and text, as they would still be using your phone number. The browser and app store don't come with parental controls, so it isn't meant for unsupervised use. And no secondary profile will keep your kid from smearing grape jelly on the screen.

___

SHORTCUTS

Lollipop adds several shortcuts above the notification tray. You can get quick access to the flashlight and the setting for airplane mode, something some Android manufacturers have added, but not all. There's also a new "Cast screen" button to send video from your phone to a TV with an Android TV streaming device. Unfortunately, you can't change the options. Those without an Android TV device won't need "Cast screen," but might want a screen-rotation lock instead, for instance.

The new Android software also removes some of the distinctions between apps and content. Previous versions of Android offered ways to scroll through open apps to pick which goes to the foreground. Now, individual tabs in the Chrome browser and individual documents in Google Docs appear separately, so you can go straight to your content without having to go to that app first. Other app developers will be able to enable this feature, too.

___

AND THE REST ...

Lollipop comes with an updated Calendar app that integrates with your Gmail service so that flight reservations, concert tickets and other confirmation emails get automatically turned into calendar events. The app is also more visually pleasing and fun. Keywords such as "concerts," ''dentist" and "brunch" trigger appropriate graphics.

Still missing, though, is the ability to decide whether individual apps can access your location. I might want Google Maps but not Starbucks to have my location. Apple's iOS software lets you choose on an app-by-app basis, but it's all or nothing with Android.

Nonetheless, Lollipop is a worthy upgrade that I hope will come to your Android device — unfettered — soon.

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Yeah, it'll probably just fuck my phone up and take me days to get it back the way i like it

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:

Pony (11-13-2014)

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts
    can't wait but not sure when it;s due for my phone

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by redred View Post
    can't wait but not sure when it;s due for my phone
    Well you'll just have to wait then

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Or get a new phone

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It takes T-Mobile here in the States f-o-r-e-v-e-r to push the new OS

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    i picked up a non carrier phone but not sure when it's due for the s4

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    One site says that the upgrade for the S4 is due for 'early 2015' whatever that means

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I'm on 3 mobile (galaxy s4 too), they're not usually too bad with updates

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    One site says that the upgrade for the S4 is due for 'early 2015' whatever that means
    7am 20th December 2015 ?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to redred For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (11-14-2014)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    Feb 2015 for HTC One M8

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    bet it won't be on my phone

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    Get outs here with your ol' sidekick II

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    Feb 2015 for HTC One M8
    Allegedly

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Update Android Lollipop over-the-air update, factory images now available for Nexus 5, 7, 9, and 10

PC World

In the last week, LG has announced that it is about to roll out Android Lollipop (5.0) for the G3, and Motorola just began rolling out updates to the new Moto X and Moto G. In both cases, users have rightly asked, "Hey, isn't Google supposed to update Nexus devices first?"

As if to reply, Google just began pushing out updates to a host of recent Nexus devices. The Nexus 5, Nexus 7 (both versions), and Nexus 10 are starting to receive over-the-air (OTA) updates from KitKat to Lollipop.

The staggered rollout might take a few days to reach your device—if you just can't wait, head over to Google's Factory Images page to download and install it yourself. You'll need the developer tools to do so, and the procedure is the same as it was for the Developer Preview released this summer, with just a few obvious file name changes (follow our guide).

The Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 ship with Lollipop, but they're getting OTA updates as well. In the case of those devices, it's just a few bugfixes to polish things up.

So what Nexus devices aren't getting the new OS just yet? Well, the cellular-enabled versions of the Nexus 7 tablets typically take a few weeks longer than the Wi-Fi only models. If you have one of those, you'll have to be patient. The Nexus 4 is due to get Lollipop, but there's no update for that yet, either.

The impact on you: If you have a recent Nexus device, you're about to get a huge upgrade. Android 5.0 is a big leap forward for the OS in features, usability, security, performance, and aesthetics.

If you have a non-Nexus Android phone, as most people do, consider this the official opening of the floodgates. The next few months will be very busy as device makers and carriers scramble to bring the latest Android operating system to its users. And the app store will be overrun with Lollipop-optimized app updates or even apps that require Android 5.0 to run.