#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

Stupid Bakers face $135,000 fine for refusing to make cake for gay wedding

By Todd Starnes - FOX News

The owners of an Oregon bakery learned Friday that there is a severe price to pay for following their Christian faith.

A judge for the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI) recommended a lesbian couple should receive $135,000 in damages for their emotional suffering after Sweet Cakes by Melissa refused to make them a wedding cake.

As a result - Aaron and Melissa Klein could lose everything they own — including their home.

The Oregonian reports the recommended penalty is not final and could be raised or lowered by State Labor Commissioner Brad Avakian.

The controversy started in 2013 when Aaron Klein declined to provide a cake for a lesbian wedding. Later that year, the women filed a complaint against Klein and his wife, Melissa.

"The facts of this case clearly demonstrate that the Kleins unlawfully discriminated against the Complainants,” read a statement by the BOLI to the Oregonian. “Under Oregon law, businesses cannot discriminate or refuse service based on sexual orientation, just as they cannot turn customers away because of race, sex, disability, age or religion. Our agency is committed to fair and thorough enforcement of Oregon civil rights laws, including the Equality Act of 2007."

Within hours of the ruling, the Family Research Council facilitated the establishment of a GoFundMe account to help the Kleins raise the money the need. In less than eight hours, more than $100,000 was raised.

However, late Friday GoFundMe pulled the plug — sending this message to would-be donors:

“After careful review by our team, we have found the ‘Support Sweet Cakes By Melissa’ campaign to be in violation of our Terms and Conditions,” the message read. “The money raised thus far will still be made available for withdrawal.”

Family Research Council President Tony Perkins blasted the harsh penalty levied against the Kleins.

“The state of Oregon has given a new meaning to shotgun weddings,” Perkins said. “You will be forced to participate in same-sex weddings and violate your beliefs.”

Perkins wondered what impact the Oregon ruling would have on religious freedom across the country.

“If Americans are not free to decline to be involved in a specific activity that violates their beliefs, then we are not free,” he said.

It’s not exactly clear what led GoFundMe to drop the fundraising drive - but Perkins blamed it on gay activists.

“This reveals two very important aspects of the redefinition of marriage, Americans are not going along with it and two - the intolerance of those trying to redefine marriage is historically unprecedented,” Perkins said.

Samaritan's Purse a Christian ministry run by Franklin Graham, has stepped up and offered to raise funds for the embattled Christian couple. The website can be found here.

Aaron Klein told me they will appeal the judge’s recommended fine.

“All Americans should be free to live and work by their faith without the fear of the government punishing them,” he told me.

Klein told me the gay rights activists won’t be satisfied until her family is living in a homeless shelter.

“This is not coming out of our business assets - the business has already been shuttered,” he said. “This is coming out of personal property. They want to take our house. They want to put us out on the street.”

Melissa told me the state of Oregon is trying to send a message to Christian business owners.

“They are trying to say — look what will happen to you if you decide to live by your faith,” she said. “They won’t be satisfied until we lose everything.”

The Kleins said they were incredibly moved by the generosity of their supporters.

And while they were disappointed that GoFundMe removed the campaign - they are not upset.

“If GoFundMe does not believe in our cause or what we are doing — that’s their right,” Aaron told me. “And that’s what we are fighting for. We should have that right, too. If it goes against our faith or beliefs we should be able to say we won’t do that.”

The Kleins also had kind words for Franklin Graham. They talked by telephone on Friday.

“A while ago Franklin told me that if I needed anything to give him a call,” Aaron said. “So I called him after the verdict. He said to not get discouraged — that God is good.”

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Sick of this story. Go find another baker across the street.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (04-28-2015), FBD (04-27-2015)

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Sick of this story. Go find another baker across the street.
    This^^

Complete and utter bullshit........ fuckin' fags

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (04-28-2015)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,843 Times in 8,181 Posts
    they didn't mention that the girls wanted a giant tongue 'n clit on the top, done in red dye #5 icing

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    bakes

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    This^^

Complete and utter bullshit........ fuckin' fags

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Supreme Court tosses ruling against bakers who refused cake for gay couple

The Supreme Court on Monday threw out a ruling against two Oregon bakers who refused to bake a wedding cake for a lesbian couple.

The couple, Melissa and Aaron Klein, cited religious beliefs as their reason for not providing services for a gay wedding. This touched off the latest in a series of such cases making headlines in recent years. During the court's last term, justices ruled in favor of a Colorado baker in a similar situation, stating that a state body demonstrated improper hostility toward the baker's religion in finding that he violated a state anti-discrimination law.

On Monday, the Supreme Court sent the Klein case back down to a lower court "for further consideration in light of" their Colorado decision.

The central disputes in the case -- which pits LGBT rights against religious freedom considerations -- have yet to be addressed by the Supreme Court.

A similar case involving Washington state florist Baronelle Stutzman previously was sent back so the state court could review its decision against Stutzman in light of the Colorado case. The Washington court upheld its decision, and the case is expected to go back before the Supreme Court once more.

The Kleins' case arose when Rachel Bowman-Cryer went to them in January 2013 to see about a wedding cake. When Aaron Klein asked for information, including the name of the groom, she told him there was none. Klein then said the bakery does not make cakes for gay weddings, court documents said.

Bowman-Cryer's mother, who was with her, said Klein quoted the Bible when explaining his decision.

The Kleins had to pay a $135,000 judgment to the couple for discriminating against them in violation of a state public accommodations statute. They ended up closing down their bakery.

The couple is represented by First Liberty, who celebrated the Supreme Court's decision as a win.

"This is a victory for Aaron and Melissa Klein and for religious liberty for all Americans," First Liberty president Kelly Shackelford said in a statement. "The Constitution protects speech, popular or not, from condemnation by the government. The message from the Court is clear, government hostility toward religious Americans will not be tolerated."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sup...for-gay-couple

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    this is a four year pull...good memory

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    this is a four year pull...good memory
    RBP brought it up last week as an illustration in another thread in here. We were talking about something or another, and, if I recall correctly, I took a hard line constitutionalist and free market economy stance.

Here it is:

http://www.tehfalloutshelter.com/sho...es-Are-Furious

We were talking about it so that's why it was fresh in my memory.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    RBP brought it up last week as an illustration in another thread in here. We were talking about something or another, and, if I recall correctly, I took a hard line constitutionalist and free market economy stance.

Here it is:

http://www.tehfalloutshelter.com/sho...es-Are-Furious

We were talking about it so that's why it was fresh in my memory.
    So ya'll serioused it up again when it was a light hearted story about dykes not getting their way...

just kidding..

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (06-17-2019)