Thread: Citation Nation: Taxation through tickets?

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

Obvious Citation Nation: Taxation through tickets?

Jeremy Jojola, KUSA

DENVER-Numerous Colorado towns are citing drivers so often that court fees and fines bring in 30 to 90 percent of their revenue, a joint investigation by 9Wants to Know and I-News at Rocky Mountain PBS found.

Towns with high percentages of ticket revenue strongly assert the ticketing is for public safety while civil rights groups, some lawmakers and academics believe ticketing can become "taxation by citation," and lead to unjustified citations and traffic stops.

"What are departments really trying to do here?" asked Lonnie Schaible, a CU Denver professor who studies police policy. "Are they concerned with trying to promote public safety or is it really a revenue generating tool?"

"The last thing we want to do is traffic accidents," Lt. Anthony Joiner of the Morrison Police Department said. "That's one of the most horrifying things an officer can experience."

This week, 9Wants to Know will profile the top four towns that make the biggest percentages of revenue from fines and court fees. Forty towns that make above the state average of four percent will also be revealed in an interactive map.

The investigation involves an extensive financial analysis of 270 towns and cities across the state, numerous records requests, hundreds of miles driven and multiple interviews with mayors, board members and police officers.

The data used in this investigation is based on budgets from 2013, the most recent year in which data is comprehensively available for all towns and cities.

A proposed cap to stop "taxation by citation"

Missouri Congressman Emanuel Cleaver (D-Kansas City) is proposing a federal law that would put a 30 percent cap on ticket and court fee revenue for cities across the country.

"You cannot allow police to do taxation by citation," Cleaver told 9NEWS. "It's un-American. In most states there is already a ceiling on what you can do on a sales tax or property tax."

Cleaver said he came up with the legislation after it was reported police and courts in and around Ferguson were "policing for profit."

Towns that would violate his proposed Fair Justice Act could become the focus of a Department of Justice investigation for civil rights violations and potentially lose any federal funding, like grants for police departments.

In Colorado, there is no such legislation. Georgia, Florida, Missouri and Oklahoma have current or pending state laws that could affect how much towns rake in on ticket revenues.

"I don't think it's the purview of the state or the federal government to determine those standards," said Sam Mamet, executive director of the Colorado Municipal League.

The CML doesn't take a position on high levels of ticket revenue, but said voters within those towns should have the final say about standards.

"In some of these communities, they may not have a strong retail base, they may not have a strong residential base in which property taxes arise," Mamet said.

"You have to ask, what kind of incentives and what kind of pressures are put on the enforcers to write a certain number of tickets?" asked Mark Silverstein of the ACLU in Colorado. "I think there's a tremendous risk that there's least respect for law enforcement when they're viewed as revenue collectors."

Silverstein said municipal court fees that are stacked on initial ticket costs can often snare low-income drivers into financial quicksand.

In one case that will be profiled this week, a woman cited for a "defective tire" in one Colorado town was jailed for 12 hours for failing to appear in court and now owes double than her original citation thanks to fines and court fees.

Public records obtained by 9Wants to Know in her case indicates she didn't receive the official notice of a warrant until a week after her release because of confusion over her address.

Mayors and police: "It's about public safety"

In the towns visited by 9Wants to Know, every mayor who spoke on camera claimed their policing efforts were focused primarily on curbing dangerous speeds and that there is no intent to generate revenue.

In some of the towns to be profiled this week, busy highways run through neighborhoods where drivers are breaking speed limits set by the state.

"It is not about making the town money," Lt. Joiner said. "Our goal is safety."

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight No, its about taxation, now watch this bill fail faster than you can say rumplestiltsken, if it even makes a vote to begin with.

it aint all about that bass, its all about them bucks

(and do I have to even point out that the federal government has NO authority to invent this power for themselves...if the states want to make those laws, they can, but this is just one more thing they dont have any authority whatsoever to do)
    Last edited by FBD; 04-27-2015 at 01:29 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FBD For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (04-27-2015)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Partially related to this story....a bill just made it out of committee in the Colorado legislature to try and ban red light and unmanned speed trap cameras.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    Those are a joke too, they banned them out here. Conveniently they were taking early pictures and sending tickets but why would that happen since the company issuing the tickets gets a cut of each one

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

FBD (04-27-2015)

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I just dont want to hear anyone attempt to assert that the US's government is not a fascist plutocratic oligarchy and try to say that its somehow some way a democratic republic (but then again, I'll watch someone say it, because painfully obvious things are apparently tough to detect )

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FBD View Post
    I just dont want to hear anyone attempt to assert that the US's government is not a fascist plutocratic oligarchy: )

I just want to hear you say that five times fast.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    the esoteric nature of my words is only in the interest of accurate verbiage, its my own personal way of fighting back against the destruction of language. by making everyone expand their vocabularies, accurately

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,842 Times in 8,180 Posts

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (04-27-2015)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 869 Posts
    How about don't break the law?

I've had one ticket in my life and it was dismissed in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I already have your name on my butthole...too bad the tattoo artist couldn't spell
    Looser
    murder my ass..shove it up my ass....both are beautiful terms of endearment

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    even when you put it simply enough for the barmaid to understand, she still might believe the make believe story put in its place

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loser View Post

Given that the government breaks the law with aplomb, the constitution routinely ignored by the federal government, I find statements like this utterly laughable.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loser View Post

I've had one ticket in my life and it was dismissed in court.
    I can't drive 55

I've gotten about a half dozen speeding tickets in my life, I was guilty every time

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Even ronnie knew that he couldnt mandate 55, that's why he threatened extortion on any of the states who didnt want to go along with 55. Which is also illegal but hey, are we really counting what's legal and what's not around here? Wake me if we ever start going in that direction