Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prison worker reportedly admits smuggling power tools to escaped killers

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,095 Times in 59,906 Posts

Obvious Prison worker reportedly admits smuggling power tools to escaped killers

FOX News and The Associated Press

A prison worker has admitted to investigators that she provided vital assistance to two convicted killers who escaped a maximum-security prison in upstate New York last weekend, according to a published report.

The Albany Times-Union reported late Thursday that 51-year-old Joyce Mitchell told New York State Police that she gave Richard Matt and David Sweat access to a cell phone and smuggled power tools into Clinton Correctional Facility, where she worked as a supervisor in the prison's tailoring shop. The Associated Press, citing a person close to the case, reported that Mitchell had agreed to be the getaway driver for the two men, but failed to show up.

Mitchell's confession was reported on the same day that New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo vowed that state law would come down hard on any prison system employee who crosses the line with inmates.

"If you do it, you will be convicted, and then you'll be on the other side of the prison that you've been policing, and that is not a pleasant place to be," Cuomo said. The governor also said investigators are "talking to several people who may have facilitated the escape."

Mitchell has not been charged in connection with the escape, but the Times-Union, citing a law enforcement official briefed on the case, reported that authorities expected to charge her with multiple crimes.

The paper also reported that Mitchell had been investigated in recent months by the state corrections department's inspector general after a fellow prison worker complained that she had gotten too close to Sweat and Matt. That investigation did not result in any discipline. Prison employees and correction officers are prohibited from having relationships with inmates or performing favors for them.

There was no sign of Sweat and Mitchell early Friday, but law enforcement sources told the Times-Union that they believed the men were contained in an area near the prison, between the towns of Dannemora and Plattsburgh. The Associated Press source said the fact that Mitchell failed to pick the men up as promised was the main reason the investigation had been focused on an area so close to the prison.

The Times-Union also reported that the search for the men had been beset by internal strife between federal marshals and State Police officials. The cause of the quarrelling was not disclosed in the report.

Earlier Thursday, bloodhounds had picked up the men's scent heading east from Dannemora after forest rangers who stopped at a convenience store late Wednesday discovered a trail leading to an area of the woods where the grass had been matted down. Authorities, including the FBI and U.S. Marshals Service, descended on the town of Cadyville.

Law enforcement officers walking an arm's length apart were conducting a grid search through a cordoned-off area consisting of mud, woods, thick underbrush and several houses, Sheriff David Favro said. He said there had been no reports of stolen or abandoned vehicles, break-ins or abductions.

Matt was serving 25 years to life for the 1997 kidnap, torture and hacksaw dismemberment of Matt's 76-year-old former boss, whose body was found in pieces in a river.

Matt and an accomplice stuffed William Rickerson in a car trunk in his pajamas and drove around with him for 27 hours because he wouldn't tell them the location of large sums of money he was believed to have.

According to testimony, Matt bent back the elderly man's fingers until they broke and later snapped Rickerson's neck with his bare hands.

After the killing, Matt fled to Mexico, where he killed a man outside a bar.

Sweat was doing life without parole for his part in the 2002 killing of sheriff's Deputy Kevin Tarsia, who was shot 15 times and run over after discovering Sweat and two accomplices transferring stolen guns between vehicles.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Stick a fork in her. She's done.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-12-2015)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Yep.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Yep.
    You work in this sector still, right? How in the world does someone sneak power tools inside a prison and then further inside to the prisoners?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-13-2015)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    You work in this sector still, right? How in the world does someone sneak power tools inside a prison and then further inside to the prisoners?
    No clue, especially because it's a maximum security facility. I would guess that because she works in a tailoring shop she has to have supplies brought in and did it that way. It's also possible (likely) that "power tools" is overstated. How could they use "power tools" undetected?

from NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/13/ny...icts.html?_r=0

More than a month before two killers escaped from a maximum-security prison in far northern New York State last weekend, a worker there who befriended them provided them with some of the tools to do the deed: hacksaw blades, chisels, a punch and a screwdriver bit, according to criminal complaints.
    Nothing "powered" in that list.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Have you seen the pix of the holes cut in the walls? And especially the one in the pipe? No way they did that with a chisel and a hacksaw

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I haven't seen them.

Seems like a whole lot of systemic failures there.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

The pipe they cut thru to escape into the sewer system. And from one account that I read, this pipe was capped with a welded on grate that they had to get thru before they could actually enter the city sewer system.

I dare anyone to cut something that straight with a hacksaw

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Jesus.

Yes, that does seem very unlikely.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks

MacGuyver could do it with a paper clip.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post

MacGuyver could do it with a paper clip.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (06-13-2015)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    "Cur" -

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks