Thread: Family Claims It Was Turned Away From Restaurant Because Of Son's Disability

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Whine Family Claims It Was Turned Away From Restaurant Because Of Son's Disability

By Amanda Andrade-Rhoades - Opposing Views

In May, Matt Brown and Hannah Reese’s son Colton was diagnosed with a genetic disorder that prevents many of his muscles from moving. The young family had not gone out to dinner since the diagnosis, but they recently took a vacation to Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.

On Aug. 4, the family decided to pack up Colton’s specially equipped stroller and pay a visit to Nicola Pizza, but an employee allegedly denied them seating due to a no-stroller policy.

Brown admitted to Delaware Online that his son’s stroller, which allows him to lay flat and contains the medical equipment that allows him to breathe, is bulky. “It looks like a moving hospital bed, basically,” Brown said.

Still, Brown and Reese believe the denial of service was a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act, a law which prohibits businesses from discriminating against people on the basis of disability.

Colton’s great-grandmother, Susan Hamadock, wrote about the issue on Nicola Pizza’s Facebook page. She also believes the restaurant violated the ADA, calling the denial of service “cruel and unjustified.”

Brown later called the restaurant to complain about the treatment of his family. He claims Nick Caggiano Jr., vice president of the restaurant company, apologized but laughed when Brown mentioned the ADA.

“(Caggiano) said he was part right and part wrong,” Brown said. “I was so worked up I didn’t want to argue with him ... He laughed about the ADA, as if he thought I wasn’t educated or something.”

Caggiano said neither he nor the manager were aware of the situation, adding he regrets that the family was turned away. “I’m putting all this on me, but we had the 17-year-old (hostess) make the decision. Nobody asked for the manager,” Caggiano said. “I would have understood. I would have definitely let that person in here.”

Caggiano said his restaurant is disability-friendly and that he personally cuts up pizza for a disabled patron who comes in regularly.

“What’s hurting me the worst is the perception we’re getting that we’re not friendly to handicapped people and we discriminate against the handicapped. That is so far-fetched it’s not even worth talking about,” Caggiano said. “I know what it’s like to have someone close to you who can’t walk. I’ve dealt with it my whole life.”

Despite Caggiano's claims, Hamadock was disappointed in how the restaurant treated Colton. “Rehoboth is supposed to be a town where all are welcome; But, obviously not this young family struggling with a life threatening condition of their 6 month old,” she wrote.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    I absolutely hate, hate, HATE the fact that everyone's first thought is to now run to social media to whine about absolutely EVERYTHING when they feel slighted in the least. This is no different, even if the restaurant was in the wrong at the time, and this line from the story shows why I hate people like this family:

Caggiano said neither he nor the manager were aware of the situation, adding he regrets that the family was turned away. “I’m putting all this on me, but we had the 17-year-old (hostess) make the decision. Nobody asked for the manager,” Caggiano said. “I would have understood. I would have definitely let that person in here.”
    So, instead of asking for the manager to politely discuss the situation, the family thought it was better to go to Facebook to whine about it, especially when you consider the fact, which they even admitted, that the 'stroller' they need to use for their son is ginormous. Screw them, I feel sorry for them that they are dealing with a kid with some debilitating condition, but I still hate them because they went the 'cause more drama' route instead of just trying to solve it easily and quickly. I hate the whole LOOK AT ME culture we've become.

/rant

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Pony (08-07-2015)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    a no-stroller policy.
    If that's their policy, time to go to another restaurant.

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Brown admitted to Delaware Online that his son’s stroller, which allows him to lay flat and contains the medical equipment that allows him to breathe, is bulky. “It looks like a moving hospital bed, basically,” Brown said.
    A bit of brain-work might've negated the whole thing, if your son has to be moved around in a "moving hospital bed" it might be a good idea to contact a restaurant ahead of time to see if they have the space.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deebakes View Post
    What?

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    how dare you!

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    How dare i use common sense? It's a novel idea right enough........ probably won't catch on though

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks