Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now...or what is the last book you read?

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Kindle Touch is £109 over here Fuck them, the robbing bastards ain't getting my money

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    Kindle Touch is £109 over here Fuck them, the robbing bastards ain't getting my money
    the plain kindle is pretty neat, too. If you use software like calibre to organize your books, you don't really need the touchscreen in my opinion.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    finally broke down and figured I'd give this a shot

I am fixed

"Somedays I wake up and feel like nobody loves me. Other days I wake up and feel like I love nobody. Sometimes I wake up and feel tired, and worn out. Sometimes I wake up and feel like I cannot face the day. But someday I'll wake up and realize that waking up is pretty stupid because it just makes you feel like crap."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Joebob034 For This Useful Post:

KevinD (08-02-2015)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob034 View Post
    finally broke down and figured I'd give this a shot

Just finished that series and though they were great...and enjoyed the movies as well...into the first book of GOT right now...

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,822 Times in 3,934 Posts
    I usually have a few books open at once. Usually nonfiction reference stuff.

Right now,
    Zen and the Brain (Austin)
    Esoteric Anatomy (Berger)
    The Yellow Emperor's Classic of Medicine (Maoshing Ni)

and perpetual books of study, Charles Luk's Taoist Yoga, Deadman's Manual of Acupuncture

actually you can include yellow emperor in perpetual study...very deep subject

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    All The Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr

Beautifully written book that takes place right at the onset of WW2 featuring two main characters. A young blind girl that lives in Paris with her father and a young German boy who has a fascination for science and radios.

The author is a subtle and gifted writer. In one brilliant sentence he can convey the horrors of the German occupation and paranoia as it was happening.

Junior Shelter Dweller thebastardnextdoor's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Tripwire by Lee Childs

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts

Very interesting memoir, but i can't recommend it. The writing is so flowery, metaphors on top of similes on top of strings of adjectives - annoying and distracting. And if you think there is some grand redemption, nope.

I chose this because it was outside my political echo chamber. I expected to eye roll and swear - but no. Bryan does an amazing job explaining how things worked in rural Alabama, and national, criminal justice. Highly recommended.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    I was reading Robert Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I took off from it for a few weeks but it's sitting there staring me right in the face. I hate leaving things unfinished, so I should probably pick it back up and finish it.

The only 2 books I haven't ever been able to finish in my entire life were Herman Melville's Moby Dick and Robert Kiyosaki's Rich Dad, Poor Dad. I couldn't finish Moby Dick because of the exposition on whales near to the center of the book. I honestly struggled to get to that point, the damn thing was just putting me to sleep, but I ended up throwing the book across the room in anger when I got to the extended discussion of whales. Rich Dad, Poor Dad was a bunch of horseshit from the get go. It's a genuinely intellectually insulting book. I dropped it off at a used bookstore and started looking for better books on investing.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (08-01-2015)

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts
    Rotting in the Bangkok Hilton: The Gruesome True Story of a Man Who Survived Thailand's Deadliest Prisons

13. The Following User Says Thank You to redred For This Useful Post:

RBP (07-03-2016)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    Neuromancer by William Gibson

Sci-fi cyberpunk by the creator and master of the genre.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (07-09-2016)

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts

really good book , not sure i'd like to be in his boots

17. The Following User Says Thank You to redred For This Useful Post:

Fodster (07-12-2016)

Basement Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,337 Times in 9,470 Posts

The Story:

This is a true story, told for the first time.

Glen McNamara joined the NSW Police Force when he was 17 and was sworn in as constable at 19. A career as a detective beckoned and soon Glen was tracking down the notorius Warren Lanfranchi who was dealing drugs with Neddy Smith, and disgraced copy Roger Rogerson who was making deals in Redfern. This is inner Sydney in the heat of the 1980s and the cash and drugs are flowing freely.

Glen is posted to ‘Goldenhurst’, the area of inner Sydney that contains the police beats of Kings Cross, Darlinghurst and Redfern. He is confronted by the shocking and appalling reality of a protection racket that is saving notorious paedophiles Dolly Dunn and Colin Fisk from charges as long as they supply enough drugs and cash. The stench of police corruption is high.

Going deeply undercover against his own superiours, Glen risks his own life to get precious eveidence against them. His double identity is betrayed from within the police ranks and with a murder threat hanging over him, Glen and his young wife flee to the United States. But fear is not in his character and he decides to head back to the dirty streets of Sydney to finish the job.

This is a hard-hitting story about the fight for justice by one lone policeman in a sea of corruption.

About the Author

Glen McNamara was not a whistleblower. He was just doing his job. He worked as an undercover cop in Sydney's Kings Cross in the late 1980s. He was good at his work - and because he was effective against criminals, he was treated just like a whistleblower.

About the author now:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Rogerson

On 27 May 2014, Rogerson was charged with the murder of Sydney student Jamie Gao, allegedly after a drug deal having gone wrong.[20] On 21 January 2015, Rogerson and his co-accused, Glen McNamara (also a former police detective), were committed to stand trial over the alleged murder.[21] On 6 March 2015 both accused were arraigned at a hearing in the NSW Supreme Court. Both pleaded not guilty to the murder of Gao and also not guilty to supplying 2.78 kilograms (6.1 lb) of "ice" (methamphetamine). The men were due for trial in the Supreme Court on 20 July 2015.[22] On the second day, the trial was aborted for unpublished reasons.

A new trial started on 1 February 2016. On 15 June 2016, Rogerson and McNamara were found guilty of Gao's murder.[23]

If you are into this kinda shit its worth following

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,822 Times in 3,934 Posts
    been a long ass time since I read any fiction, I'm trying to decipher some ancient scroll right now

Assistant Shelter Dweller allsmiles's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks

Based on a true story of corruption in law enforcement and illegal drug busts in and around Tyler, TX in the late 70's early 80's. This book is still banned here in Smith County. That's what Amazon is for.

Thank you, Jezter, for my signature :-)