Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Shocking, Disturbing, Chilling Photos With a Back Story

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,842 Times in 8,180 Posts
    I saw an online article showing photos of people right before they died. As I get older I find it's harder to look at and read about these moments

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (12-16-2015)

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,923 Times in 6,613 Posts
    Nothing out of the ordinary with this picture, right? What about the still doll like figure on the right on the bottom of the ocean floor? That’s scuba diver Tina Watson, wife of Gabe Watson. The diver swimming away from the photo is the master diver trying to rescue Tina.

Gabes’ story is that Tina and him we’re going to explore the shipwreck down below, but the current was overwhelmingly strong. He tried to bring Tina to the surface, but failed. The other divers at the scene say Gabe purposefully drowned his wife by turning off her oxygen supply and holding her to prevent her from turning it back on; then dumped her on the ocean floor. Gabe was never prosecuted, and still to this day stands by his originally stance, that he’s innocent.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Some of you may remember this one. This eerie photo is of the Heaven’s Gate cult in 1997, led by Marshall Applewhite. After the discovery of the comet Hale-bopp in 1995, the cult believed there was a higher race of aliens hiding in a ship behind the comet; undetectable to humans. In March of 1997, the comet was passing earth at its closest distance. This is when Applewhite, and 38 of his cult followers drank a lethal mixture of phenobarbital and vodka, laid down and waited to die. They believed they would leave their bodies and enter the alien ship, moving into a higher existence through the Heavens Gate. All of the members were found to be wearing black clothes and Nike sneakers.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I saw an online article showing photos of people right before they died. As I get older I find it's harder to look at and read about these moments
    Yeah, my son thinks its funny to show me videos of people getting hurt skateboarding, I cant even handle watching that kind of stuff either

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    Yeah, my son thinks its funny to show me videos of people getting hurt skateboarding, I cant even handle watching that kind of stuff either
    I thought it was just me.... when I first got on the internet in my late teens and especially when video phones came out, the things I would watch were pretty grim with people dying in pretty gruesome ways, but now, like porky, I can't even watch someone fuck themselves up anymore. I'm ok with pictures and descriptions, but any video footage and I won't go near it

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    This is 22-year-old Julia Popova after being stabbed by a mugger. The picture quickly went viral and for a while many thought it was fake, until doctors from Moscow confirmed the photos authenticity.

On her way home one day from work, she was attacked by a mugger. She was in such shock by the attack, that she walked home without realizing a six-inch knife was in her neck. The knife was literally less than an inch away from her spinal cord and luckily she is now fully recovered with no paralysis.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    There have always been people who are terrified of clowns. Well, you had every right to be. This creepy photo is of Pogo the Clown aka serial killer, John Wayne Gacy. John would lure his victims to his home by promising them work. Once captured, he would sexually assault and murder them by strangling them with a rope. Sometimes when he killed, he dressed as his alter ego, “Pogo the clown.” He buried his victims in his home, but soon became too crowded. He eventually started burying his victims elsewhere which eventually lead to his arrest and prosecution in 1980, for murdering 33 young men.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    Actually saw something today about the current trend of people doing "extreme embalming". The have the coroner pose their deceased loved one in all kinds of different scenarios. Reminded me of when they took the family photos with the dead back in the day.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks

Jim Jones founded “The Peoples Temple” in Indiana during the 50’s, later moving to California in the 60’s. Following negative media attention, he later moved to the Guyanese jungle of Guyana with some 1,000 followers.

On November 18, 1978 U.S. Representative Leo Ryan visited Jones establishment following allegations of abuse. Ryan was murdered by a Jonestown gunman, along with his delegates. That same day, Jones ordered his followers to drink cyanide laced punch, while armed guards stood by while everyone around them perished.

Before September 11, 2001, Jonestown was the largest loss of U.S. Civilian lives in a non-natural event

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks

September 11, 2001 will forever be remembered as one of the worst terrorists attacks on U.S. soil. There were many disturbing photos to say the least, but one in particular was taken by Associated Press photographer Richard Drew, which drew large spread attention. “The Falling Man”, shows the intensity of the event, he was among an estimated 200 plus people who jumped off the Twin Towers to their death. It was a gruesome tragedy, as nearly 3,000 people died. There are also photos of people who are literally packed against the window, trying to escape the smoke just to breathe fresh air. The entire event was a nightmare and will forever be in the minds of Americans, as one of the worst terrorists attacks in U.S. History.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to fricnjay For This Useful Post:

Fodster (12-30-2015)

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks

Y'all may know McCandless’ story from the 2007 film Into the Wild which chronicled his life and death. McCandless probably died from a combination of starvation and accidental poisoning. The photo of him above shows him holding a sign that says, “I have had a happy life and thank the lord. Goodbye and may god bless all!”

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks

A photographer was shooting the pollution over the Wuhan Yangze River bridge when he captured these images of a double suicide. A couple made their way to the bridge’s edge and both jumped, one after the other.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to fricnjay For This Useful Post:

Fodster (12-30-2015)

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks

This is infantryman Kyle Hockenberry in a helicopter in Afghanistan receiving treatment after surviving a road-side bomb blast in which he lost both his legs and his left arm. On the right side of his ribcage is a tattoo that reads "For those I love I will sacrifice." Although disabled, he has made advances in recovery, and stands by his tattoo stating “I would do it all over again.”

17. The Following User Says Thank You to fricnjay For This Useful Post:

Fodster (12-30-2015)

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks

Hundreds of Texas A&M students gathered here to form a human wall around the funeral service of Texas A&M alum Lt. Col. Roy Tisdale to protect his family from Westboro Baptist Church protesters.

In the days after the soldier's death, word spread that Westboro Baptist Church members were planning to protest Tisdale's funeral. When Ryan Slezia, a former Texas A&M student, heard of the group's plans, he hatched a plot to foil their efforts.

"In response to their signs of hate, we will wear maroon. In response to their mob anger, we will form a line, arm in arm. This is a silent vigil. A manifestation of our solidarity," he wrote on Facebook, inviting others to join him in a peaceful protest.

On Thursday, as Tisdale's funeral was held at the Central Baptist Church in College Station, Tex., hundreds of students and alumni responded to Slezia's invation, linking arms to create a human barricade surrounding the church's entrance.

Most wore maroon -- A&M's school color. One participant tweeted that over 650 people showed up, creating a formidable "maroon wall."

“We are standing here quietly. We are here for the family,” Lilly McAlister, a Texas A&M student, told KBTX.com. "We are positioned with our backs to them. Everyone has been told there's no chanting, no singing, there's no yelling anything back."

The hundreds gathered were prepared for a potentially aggressive confrontation, but the protesters from Westboro Baptist Church never showed up.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fricnjay For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (12-13-2017), Fodster (12-30-2015)

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks

At first glance, it’s hard to know what’s happening in this picture. A giant mushroom seems to have sprouted in a factory floor, where ghostly men in hardhats seem to be working.

But there’s something undeniably eerie about the scene, for good reason. You’re looking at the largest agglomeration of one of the most toxic substances ever created: Corium.

This is Artur Korneyev a Kazakhstani nuclear inspector and Deputy Director of Shelter Object, viewing the ‘elephants foot’ Corium lava flow at after the explosion at Chornobyl in 1986. For Korneyev, this particular trip was only one of hundreds of dangerous missions he’s taken to the core since he first arrived on site in the days following the initial explosion. His initial job was to locate the fuel deposits and help determine their radiation levels. (The Elephant’s Foot initially gave off more than 10,000 roentgens an hour, which would kill a person three feet from it in less than two minutes.) Soon after that, he began leading cleanup efforts, sometimes even kicking pieces of solid fuel out of the way. More than 30 workers died from Acute Radiation Syndrome during the explosion and ensuring cleanup. Despite the incredible amount of exposure, Korneyev kept returning inside the hastily constructed concrete sarcophagus, often with journalists in tow to document the dangers.

In 2001, he brought a reporter from the Associated Press back to the core, where the radiation still measured 800 roentgens an hour. In 2009, Marcel Theroux, the celebrated novelist (and son of writer Paul Theroux and cousin of actor Justin Theroux) wrote an article for Travel + Leisure about his trip to the sarcophagus and the mad, maskless guide who mocked Theroux’s anxiety as “purely psychological.” While Theroux refers to him as Viktor Korneyev, it’s likely the man is Artur, as he made the same dark joke he would a few years later in a New York Times article.

His current status is murky. When the Times caught up to Korneyev a year and a half ago, he was helping to plan construction of a $1.5 billion arch that, when finished in 2017, will cap the decaying sarcophagus and prevent airborne isotopes from escaping. In his mid 60s, he was sickly, with cataracts, and had been barred from re-entering the sarcophagus after years of irradiation.

Korneyev's sense of humor remained intact, though. He seemed to have no regrets about his life's work. “Soviet radiation,” he joked, “is the best radiation in the world.”