So I am discovering that my knowledge is out of date on WiFi. There are now multi-stream, dual and triple band routers that operate on different frequencies, and a newer 802.11 standard called ac.

Here's my issue. I do not have a big apartment but I have terrible WiFi coverage. There are only 4 rooms plus the bathroom, basically equal sized rooms. The chromecast in the northeast room wouldn't work with the Comcast router in the southwest room. Move the router to the northeast room, works perfect. The Wifi in the southeast room has always been spotty. Again with the router in the northeast room, it's sometimes okay and sometimes really bad. Walk around the wall into that room, perfect. If I go outside for a smoke the WiFi is unusable.

So, what's the best solution? I could add a repeater to the southwest room where the 2nd chromecast is now buffering to the point of stupidity. The signal in that room is basically half in the room where the router is located. I could add a dual band router or a tri-band to have different networks, run my computer off the 5GHz signal and hope the 2.4 is more powerful to break through interference. I have changed channels a few times with limited impact. The number of listed Wifi signals on the analyzer is really high, so it might just be a device interference issue, no idea.

Thoughts?