Thread: question for the guitarists here

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,886 Posts

question for the guitarists here

So, okay, a couple days back, I was jamming to the radio. Werewolves of London came on. I start thinking, I can play that intro and chorus on acoustic. Called my sister in law for the piano notes. Closest single note I can get is High E string, ba, ag, then B string, dd,e,d. I know there's a harmonic (for lack of a better term) in it. What I mean is strumming 2 strings each note. Pardon me if I don't have the terms right. I can't quite figure it out, and YouTube isn't helping. What I find there is rythm guitar tutorials. I think I had it the other night, but was a tad druck, and can't remember my fingerings for the second notes

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 869 Posts
    Are you talking about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I already have your name on my butthole...too bad the tattoo artist couldn't spell
    Looser
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    murder my ass..shove it up my ass....both are beautiful terms of endearment

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Loser For This Useful Post:

KevinD (03-29-2016)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Loser, that's very close, but not what I was looking for. I was looking for acoustic, lol. I got really, really close by ear, then with my sister in law (pianist ) who listened to the song, then she watched some vids. Seems I was a half key off, single note. My brother in law just replied to same question on FB, and told me what notes I was missing (turns out correct term is 16ths) and linked me to a video that is awesome, and expands greatly on where is was by ear.

https://m.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...Dwy64Dxr_s&s=1

I dunno why I couldn't find that when I was looking.. I found the one you posted, and while good (along with others) wasn't what I was looking for. Now my delima is actual finger placement with left hand. My fingers are too short to do a 3rd, 5th, 7th fret stretch with 1st, 2nd,and 3rd fingers. I have to use 1st, 2nd, and 4th, lol, but my 3rd keeps wanting to lay down and mute the strings.
    Last edited by KevinD; 03-29-2016 at 05:14 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Okay, this is me, don't laugh too hard. Haven't added the 16th note yet, nor am I up to speed. Other than that, is there anything I'm doing wrong?

http://vid450.photobucket.com/albums...pskvqqyi8v.mp4

He who laughs, lasts. Noilly Pratt's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 705 Posts
    Hey Kev

i will take a real look at this later...but I remember playing this way back, and I used a slide. Or if you are a " half key off" maybe it's a bent note (bend the string up?)

Signature created way-back-when by Goofy

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks

Art

Just saw your vid...Maybe try putting your finger on the 3rd fret and sliding it on up to the 7th fret as you play the first note...the piano does a bit of a "trill" so to sound right you kind of need to duplicate it.. I will try it tomorrow. In bed ATM!

**added stuff to this post...really watched your vid this time!!
    Last edited by Noilly Pratt; 03-29-2016 at 06:14 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Noilly Pratt For This Useful Post:

KevinD (03-29-2016)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks. From what I gather, a slide is gonna be necessary to do it on git. For now, like all my very limited ability, I'm just trying to do campfire versions, enough that others get what I'm playing, lol

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Added stuff to my original post...

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Just saw the adds. That's actually what I settled on after your comment about sliding from first fret. No worries, gtb, I am too. Have 500 miles to drive to get to work tomorrow, well, later today.
    I'm not dedicated enough to guitar where I will ever be good, just got tired of wishing I knew how to play 2 years ago. Hit it hard for about 8 months, then slacked off. Lol. My brother in law has played for 25 years or so, but not seriously. He's said best thing that has happened with him is me trying to learn and bouncing shite off him. He was strictly rythym , but between me learning, and a buddy who could literally Plat in bands, he's stepped his game uo, and I'm the flounder, lol
    At times, I can get strumming Paterno down, or fingering, but never both, yet. It will come, but tbh, in 48 years of life, this is the most frustrating, hardest, and rewarding thing I've ever tried. I could kick myself in the assignment for not doing it when I was a kid..nooo, percussion was my bag then, lol
    Last edited by KevinD; 03-29-2016 at 06:43 AM.

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,822 Times in 3,934 Posts
    aint nuttin wrong with drummin

now work on playing the chords of it

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FBD For This Useful Post:

KevinD (04-29-2016)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Currently working on some Cray and Muddy blues riffs. Gotta say I absolutely LOVE my MIM roadhouse strat. Even through my cheap Marshall MG30, it sound soon damned good. Esp on the rare occasions where my fingers actually work, lol

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I remember getting together with my friends after they'd bought new guitars and amps and they were forever berating me for my "crappy old equipment". They had brand new American Telecaster and Stratocasters playing through their 45w Crate amps with all the electronic bells and whistles. All nice and clean when we were at low volume.

But, I always find that after about a half hour, one turns their volume slightly louder, than the other, then I do...etc...

I have my Samick super-strat copy (1 humbucker and 2 MCs) and an 80's Roland Cube 100 amp with the old fashioned reverb chamber. Theirs full tilt couldn't cleanly out-loud me when my volume knob was at 4.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Wish my amp was tube, but for $120 new, couldn't pass it up. The equipment I have is better by far than I am, lol

To my admittedly novice ear, nothing wrong with old stuff. Oftentimes sounds better. I only bought new because of sales, I good get good equipment for less than comparable used. My buddy and my brother in law argue over who gets my strat if I ever give up, lol
    Last edited by KevinD; 08-12-2016 at 05:36 PM.