Thread: The Boxing Thread

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Sad. What a fighter. The announcement was odd. Wife said her beloved husband "died unexpectedly at his home"
    Hagler was my favorite boxer back in the day, he was a beast. And I still to this day believe the fight between him and Sugar Ray was fixed.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-14-2021)

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,822 Times in 3,934 Posts
    professional sports arent fixed, there's no evidence that anyone fixed a game, a set, a match, ever, in all of history

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Hype Floyd Mayweather agrees to fight YouTube star Logan Paul

Field Level Media

Former world welterweight king Floyd Mayweather said Tuesday he will face off against YouTube personality Logan Paul in an exhibition bout at Miami’s Hard Rock Stadium on June 6.

“Logan Paul and I are going to fight at Hard Rock Stadium. Mayweather Promotions, Fanmio and Showtime will team up to give you an epic event,” Mayweather wrote on Instagram.

A separate post from Mayweather Promotions billed the contest as a “historic crossover event” dubbed “Bragging Rights.”

The announcement gave no further information about specifics of the fight such as number of rounds or what size gloves would be used.

Logan Paul, 26, first ventured into white-collar boxing in a bout with British YouTuber KSI in 2018 that reportedly generated 1.3 million pay per view buys worldwide, before a rematch in 2019 in Los Angeles.

Logan Paul (0-1 0 KOs) is the older brother of Jake Paul, who recently defeated Ben Askren by first-round knockout.

The 44-year-old Mayweather meanwhile has not fought since beating mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor by technical knockout in a money-spinning cross-combat superfight in Las Vegas in 2017.

Mayweather (50-0, 27 KOs) came out of retirement for that contest after hanging up his gloves two years earlier after an unbeaten career spanning three decades.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    If Logan is 0-1 and Jake is 2-0 or 3-0, why is Logan the one fighting Mayweather?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FBD View Post
    If Logan is 0-1 and Jake is 2-0 or 3-0, why is Logan the one fighting Mayweather?
    Yeah, I would have really expected it to be Jake instead of Logan, especially after Jake destroyed Askren in his last fight, regardless if Askren took it completely seriously or not.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Yeah, I would have really expected it to be Jake instead of Logan, especially after Jake destroyed Askren in his last fight, regardless if Askren took it completely seriously or not.
    imo Askren took it seriously...he most likely didnt train ridiculous for it like for a real MMA match, but I think that was all the ref/system calling the fight that made it a joke

and speaking of jokes, wasnt Logan's lone fight a total joke?

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Field Level Media

Former world welterweight king Floyd Mayweather said Tuesday he will face off against YouTube personality Logan Paul in an exhibition bout at Miami’s Hard Rock Stadium on June 6.

“Logan Paul and I are going to fight at Hard Rock Stadium. Mayweather Promotions, Fanmio and Showtime will team up to give you an epic event,” Mayweather wrote on Instagram.

A separate post from Mayweather Promotions billed the contest as a “historic crossover event” dubbed “Bragging Rights.”

The announcement gave no further information about specifics of the fight such as number of rounds or what size gloves would be used.

Logan Paul, 26, first ventured into white-collar boxing in a bout with British YouTuber KSI in 2018 that reportedly generated 1.3 million pay per view buys worldwide, before a rematch in 2019 in Los Angeles.

Logan Paul (0-1 0 KOs) is the older brother of Jake Paul, who recently defeated Ben Askren by first-round knockout.

The 44-year-old Mayweather meanwhile has not fought since beating mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor by technical knockout in a money-spinning cross-combat superfight in Las Vegas in 2017.

Mayweather (50-0, 27 KOs) came out of retirement for that contest after hanging up his gloves two years earlier after an unbeaten career spanning three decades.
    This will go the same way the last one went, Mayweather will tire him out and win at the end

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

FBD (04-28-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FBD View Post
    imo Askren took it seriously...he most likely didnt train ridiculous for it like for a real MMA match, but I think that was all the ref/system calling the fight that made it a joke

and speaking of jokes, wasnt Logan's lone fight a total joke?
    Logan and this KSI guy fought twice. The first one was a majority draw. This was the rematch.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    heh, I thought it was jake that knocked out the basketball player that was such a terrible showing. oh wait, that vid isnt the bball player. I dont pay attention to this shit, I just want those idiot youtubers to be embarrassed

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder 'agree terms' as trilogy rematch date set

By Gareth Bicknell, Overnight sport reporter - The Daily Star

Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder have reportedly agreed terms for their trilogy rematch to take place on July 24.

The date had been earmarked for a third clash between the heavyweights rivals after an arbitration court judge ruled Wilder was entitled to a rematch - halting plans for Anthony Joshua to face Anthony Joshua.

Both Fury and Wilder have now agreed on the showdown, with promoter Bob Arum saying contracts will be signed in the coming days.

That's according to a report from ESPN, which says the purse for the fight in Las Vegas, will be split 60-40 in Fury's favour.

Fury produced a stunning display to take from the WBC belt from Wilder in February last year, after his first fight with the Bronze Bomber ended in a controversial draw back in December 2018.

The Gypsy King had appeared on course for an all-British unification fight against Joshua, but negotiations were stopped in their tracks by the arbitration ruling.

The trilogy rematch with Wilder now leaves Joshua seeking an opponent - although Fury this week vowed he was still coming for his rival.

"I'll smoke Wilder first then you will get yours," Fury tweeted at his fellow Brit on Tuesday.

Joshua has hit out at his compatriot and called for another challenger to take him on.

“ Tyson Fury the world now sees you for the fraud you are,” he said on Twitter.

“You’ve let boxing down! You lied to the fans and led them on. Used my name for clout not a fight.

“Bring me any championship fighter who can handle their business correctly.”

Joshua could now face Oleksandr Usyk, who recently stepped up to heavyweight and saw off Derek Chisora.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Mayweather, Paul exhibition fight goes the distance

The Associated Press

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. — Floyd Mayweather Jr. outclassed YouTube personality Logan Paul but couldn’t stop him inside the distance.

Mayweather and Paul boxed an eight-round exhibition Sunday night at Hard Rock Stadium. With the bout not being scored, no winner was declared.

The 44-year-old Mayweather used the ring skills that propelled him to world titles in five divisions and a 50-0 career record to frustrate Paul with solid lead and counter shots.

"You’ve got to realize I’m not 21 anymore but it’s good," Mayweather said in the ring. "He’s better than I thought he was. Good little work. Tonight was a fun night."

Mayweather, who won titles in the super-featherweight, lightweight, super-lightweight, welterweight and super-welterweight divisions, has said he will not return to competitive boxing. Instead, he will continue to tap into the pay-per-view market with exhibitions like his event with Paul.

Post-fight punch stats showed Mayweather comfortably ahead on total and power shots.

After the fight, Paul celebrated the accomplishment of going the distance against Mayweather.

"Shoot, man, I don’t want anyone to tell me anything is impossible ever again," Paul said. "To get in here with one of the greatest boxers of all time, proves that the odds could be beat.

Paul weighed 189 pounds for the exhibition and attempted to use his 34-pound advantage by leaning on the shorter Mayweather. But Paul’s lack of boxing skills left him open to Mayweather’s short left hooks to the head and rights to the body.

"He used his weight and tried to tie me up," Mayweather said.

Earlier, former Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson boxed a four-round exhibition against multi-combat sport veteran Brian Maxwell. Like the Mayweather-Paul exhibition there was no scoring, but Johnson avoided a knockout loss after he was floored with an overall right to the head in the final round.

Johnson, in his first boxing event, survived the remainder of the round. The 43-year-old Johnson scored with a solid right to the head in the opening minute of the bout and landed combinations to the head in the second round. But in the minute rest before the fourth round, Johnson breathed heavily and rested his arms on the ropes.

"This was fun, I lost my virginity tonight," Johnson said about his maiden boxing experience. "This is one for my bucket list. My life has always been about taking chances."

Luis Arias won a split decision over former super-welterweight champion Jarrett Hurd and former super-middleweight titleholder Badou Jack stopped Dervin Colina in the fourth round.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

FBD (06-07-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Interesting Boxing fans point to suspicious moment during Mayweather, Paul bout

By Edmund DeMarche | Fox News

Boxing fans are notoriously tough to please…even when there’s an exhibition.

Fans were treated Sunday night to the highly anticipated, albeit unlikely, matchup between champion boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. and YouTube sensation Logan Paul. The fight at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida, went the distance (eight rounds) and no winner was declared because there were no judges.

Paul, who is 26 years old, 6’2, and has 34 pounds on Mayweather, 44, seemed to impress pro, who after the bout said, "He’s better than I thought he was."

Jason Gay, the sports columnist for the Wall Street Journal, summed up the fight, "Paul was, unsurprisingly, the lesser fighter, mechanically wooden, dreadfully inaccurate with his punches, but he was fit enough to take a few shots to the chin from Mayweather, and then drape his large frame atop on him, tying him up."

Some spectators were unimpressed and even a conspiracy emerged that the two somehow coordinated the draw. A viral video showed Mayweather clock Paul on the left side of the head and then appear to prop him up instead of allowing him to collapse. The New York Post reported, "Instead of letting him fall, Mayweather appeared to hold him up off the floor, preventing a knockdown — or, perhaps, a knockout."

The running theory is that if Mayweather came out of the gate and pulverized Paul there would be little interest in the possibility of a rematch.

Mayweather addressed his critics during a news conference after the match.

"They say, ‘It’s not all about the money.’ Well, your kids can’t eat legacy," Mayweather said. "Patches on my trunks, that was $30 million alone. So, who’s really the smartest one in the sport of boxing?"

Reps for Mayweather and Paul did not immediately respond to an after-hours email from Fox News seeking comment.

The Associated Press contributed to this report

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    oh cripes, holding him up...the round was 5...4....3...2... what's the point in bitching about that. Paul was 2-3 weight classes above Mayweather, this was a wack match from the getgo.

hope woodley comes out a little better. I dont like Tyron Woodley, at all, but I still want him to beat Jake Paul
    Last edited by FBD; 06-08-2021 at 01:39 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    They say, ‘It’s not all about the money.’ Well, your kids can’t eat legacy," Mayweather said. "Patches on my trunks, that was $30 million alone. So, who’s really the smartest one in the sport of boxing?"
    Lol.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    You think he really made $30 mil on the ads on his trunks?! That is bonkers.