#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

USA How Errol Spence Jr. can be the new face of American boxing

Kevin Iole, Combat columnist - Yahoo Sports

When Sugar Ray Leonard turned professional after winning a gold medal at the Summer Olympics in 1976 – a time when even amateur boxing was still significant in this country – the television networks were eager to broadcast his pro debut.

No, not HBO or Showtime. ABC, CBS and NBC, which at the time were the only networks available.

When Leonard eventually debuted on CBS, he had sponsors throwing money at him to endorse their product, newspaper reporters stayed with him throughout training camp and he was a fixture on the nightly news.

Ray Charles Leonard – who turned 61 last week – made his professional debut on CBS on Feb. 5, 1977, and developed into one of the greatest boxers of all-time and one of the biggest sports stars of his era.

Errol Spence Jr., a member of the 2012 U.S. Olympic boxing team, has compiled a 21-0 pro record with 18 knockouts and will challenge Kell Brook on Saturday for the IBF welterweight title in Brook’s hometown of Sheffield, England, before about 30,000 fans.

And yet, Leonard was a vastly bigger name on Day 1 of his pro career, when he won a unanimous decision over Luis Vegas, than Spence is today on the verge of his biggest match.

But from the time he stated his intention to turn pro, Spence was compared to Leonard. As a fighter, even though Spence is left-handed and Leonard fought conventionally, the comparisons are apt.

Spence is big, powerful, athletic, has great timing, precise movements that are the result of superior footwork and a mind that seems to think four or five steps ahead of his opponent.

He’s not more widely known because of the state of modern boxing, though English promoters and fans are doing their best to uplift it. He is, though, extraordinarily gifted, and the feeling from many is that as good as he’s been in running up that 21-0 mark, his best is yet to come.

Brook, who has to be given enormous amounts of credit for his willingness to fight elite opponents, understands the level of opposition he’s facing, even if many American fans do not.

“I think [Spence] is a great talent,” Brook said. “He’s been doing what is being asked of him. He’s been knocking over everyone that’s been put in front of him, but he’s up against the champion now: A big strong welterweight. I believe I train very, very hard and I’m ready to fight and I am very honored to fight in my home city of Sheffield.

“I’m up for this fight and I know what I’m up against. Errol Spence is a talented fighter and I know that it is going to be a very, very tough match but I have been putting the work in at the gym and I’m in absolute focus.”

The clear difference between Spence and Leonard, of course, is that Leonard went out and performed against some of the best opponents of all-time. Leonard has five wins and a draw against boxers who are members of the International Boxing Hall of Fame. Spence has only fought one opponent, Chris Algieri, who held a world title.

His level of opposition is soft, and he’s making a huge leap when he meets Brook.

A budding star like Spence could have had an easier path, had he wanted it. He could have gotten a fight at home in front of a friendly crowd. But he’s going to Brook’s hometown in front of what surely will be a heavily pro-Brook audience.

That’s tough to overcome, particularly if the judges get influenced by the cheers for Brook. Spence, though, knows he’s good enough to win on the road against a good opponent, so he had no qualms about accepting the fight.

“I’m excited that it’s finally here and that I’m finally getting the opportunity to prove myself and prove that I am the best welterweight in the division,” Spence said. “Kell Brook, who’s a good fighter, has great skills and he’s a strong fighter too, he can fight. … I know it’s not going to be an easy fight for me; it’s going to be a real test to go to his hometown and to take his title from him. It’s something that real fighters do; they go to other people’s town and fight the champion. I’m going to go to his hometown and take the title.”

A Spence victory would be the sign of an arrival of yet another young, under-30 star. Spence is 27. Vasyl Lomachenko and Terence Crawford, who each have experts who believe they’re the best in the world, are both 29. Heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua is 27. Canelo Alvarez is 26. Roman “Chocolatito” Gonzalez is 29. Keith Thurman is 28.

There are more, but the point is obvious. They are a slew of talented boxers just now into their prime.

There is legitimate hope that this can be something of a golden age for the sport. Leonard led that golden age in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s along with fighters like Thomas Hearns, Roberto Duran, Marvelous Marvin Hagler, Aaron Pryor, Alexis Arguello, Larry Holmes and Wilfred Benitez, among many others.

Spence has the ability to be the best of the current crop, and that’s saying a lot. But the time for talking about potential and physical gifts is over.

It’s time for Spence to prove why so many believe he’s about to become the new face of American boxing.

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Decent card on saturday tbh, Groves is trying for a world title yet again More looking forward to Canelo v GGG later in the year though

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts
    anyone looking forward to the GGG vs. Canelo Alvarez fight ?

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redred View Post
    anyone looking forward to the GGG vs. Canelo Alvarez fight ?
    2 comments up........ in a word, yes! Could be a classic

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Sad Boxer dies after a brutal knockout in title fight

The Sun

Italian Christian Daghio has tragically died after a boxing title fight in Bangkok.

The 49-year-old, a former champion in Muay Thai and boxing, passed away in the hospital Friday after he was put in a coma due to injuries suffered during the WBC Asia title match against Don Parueang on Oct. 26.

He leaves behind his wife and 5-year-old daughter.

Footage shows Daghio being knocked out in the 12th round after receiving several huge punches to his head and face.

He was immediately treated by medical staff in the ring before he was rushed to a hospital in Bangkok.

Daghio’s brother and manager, Fabrizio, confirmed the news of his sibling’s death.

He told Italian media: “Christian died as he wanted to die, that is in the ring. He dreamed of fighting until he was 80 years old.”

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Karma Boxer taunts his opponent in final moments of title bout, gets knocked out

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Goofy (03-25-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

RIP Pernell Whitaker Dead At 55, Boxing Legend Hit By Car

By the TMZ Staff

Boxing legend Pernell Whitaker was killed Sunday night after he was hit by a car in Virginia Beach, TMZ Sports has learned. He was only 55.

We're told officials received a call around 10:04 PM in response to an accident at the intersection of Northampton Boulevard and Baker Road.

When cops arrived, they located the man who had been hit by a vehicle who was in really bad shape -- and our sources tell us that man was Pernell Whitaker.

Unfortunately, we're told Whitaker succumbed to his injuries and died.

Cops are investigating. Unclear if the driver of the car was arrested but he did stay on the scene to speak with police. It's NOT a hit and run situation.

By the way, we're told the are where Pernell was hit is NOT a popular nightlife area -- in other words, it's not like he was out partying.

Whitaker (who's from Virginia) was a BEAST in the ring ... winning world titles at 4 different weights -- lightweight, light welterweight, welterweight and light middleweight.

Sweet Pea was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2006 -- and is considered by many to be one of the greatest fighters of ALL TIME.

He fought everyone from Oscar De La Hoya to Julio Cesar Chavez -- and even though he lost to Oscar and Julio was a draw ... many people believe he was ROBBED in both decisions because he clearly won the fights.

His pro career began in 1984 and spanned all the way through 2001, with an amazing 40-4-1 record including 17 knockouts.

He also won a gold medal at the 1984 Olympics in L.A.

From 1993 to 1997 he was considered the #1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world. Ring Magazine named him the Fight of the Year in 1989.

Whitaker is survived by his 5 children. RIP

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Pernell..

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Mike Tyson to face Roy Jones Jr. in Sept. 12 exhibition match

Steve Kim - ESPN

Former undisputed heavyweight champion Mike Tyson is making a comeback.

Tyson, 54, will fight Roy Jones Jr. in an eight-round exhibition on Sept. 12 at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California. The bout will be broadcast on pay-per-view as well as multimedia platform Triller. According to a news release, Triller will also show a 10-part docuseries leading up to the bout.

Tyson (50-6) has caused a stir on social media the past few months as he posted footage of himself training. He last fought 15 years ago, when Kevin McBride stopped Tyson in six rounds.

Tyson, in an appearance on ESPN's First Take on Thursday, explained his reasoning for a return to the ring.

"It's because I can do it. And I believe other people believe they can do it too," Tyson said. "Just because we are 54, it doesn't mean that we have to start a new career and our lives are totally over. Not when you feel as beautiful as I do, and I'm sure that other people feel the same way.

"I never took that many punches. After the last fight I had, I left and I lived my life, and I've been through some experiences, and now I'm back here. I feel like I took better care of my body and my state of mind than most of the fighters before me that retired and came back."

Jones (66-9), at his apex, was considered the most brilliant boxer in the sport, winning titles at middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight. He had a sublime mix of speed, technique and ring intelligence.

Last month, Jones, 51, expressed interest in a possible bout with Tyson.

"I've been trying to enjoy retirement, but people don't seem to want to let me retire," Jones said. "They keep calling me, telling me that Mike wants to come back, and that you'd be a great opponent for Mike.

"We always wanted to see it, but I would've preferred it back then. Tyson is a hell of a specimen still. Still a problem to deal with. But at the same time, life is life, you only live once. You want to know what it's like, you go in there and see. You still gotta see it."

"Iron Mike" was considered one of the most ferocious fighters in the world. He became the youngest heavyweight champion in history (at 20 years and four months) by stopping Trevor Berbick in two rounds in November 1986.

Tyson then ruled the division with impunity, making nine successful defenses and unifying the division before being upset by Buster Douglas in February 1990.

After spending three years in jail for a rape conviction, Tyson returned to boxing in 1995, then won the WBC and WBA heavyweight titles in 1996. Tyson's last true big fight came in the summer of 2002, when he was halted in eight rounds by Lennox Lewis.

As for Jones, his career declined after he was knocked out by Antonio Tarver in 2004. That began a three-bout losing streak, and a fighter who was once considered untouchable became more and more susceptible to getting knocked out.

Jones last appeared in a professional bout in February 2018, when he defeated Scott Sigmon by decision. The last recognizable name on his ledger, Enzo Maccarinelli, knocked out Jones in four rounds in Moscow in 2015.

Tyson didn't seem too concerned when asked about the risk he and Jones face fighting at their respective ages.

"We're both accomplished fighters, we know how to take care of ourselves," he said. "It's an eight-round exhibition. And, listen, we'll be all right. Trust me, we can take care of ourselves."

In an interview with Yahoo Sports, Andy Foster, the executive director of the California State Athletic Commission, said that he believed there wouldn't be headgear, but that the boxers would use 12-ounce gloves.

On Thursday afternoon, The Athletic reported that former NBA player Nate Robinson and YouTube star Jake Paul had agreed to fight on the undercard of Tyson-Jones.

For Robinson, a 3-time NBA slam dunk champion, this will be his first boxing match. Paul has fought twice, most recently notching a first-round technical knockout of fellow YouTube personality AnEsonGib (known as Gib) back in January.

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    have you seen the vids of him in the last couple of months? dude looks scary as fuck.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugh_Janus For This Useful Post:

Muddy (07-28-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Mike has become very beloved here lately.. Aside from that, Mike is going to fuck Jones up..

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (07-29-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks