Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22

Thread: Dexter (spoilers likely)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    I did like the part where Hannah was making dinner and Deb walked and and watched her for a minute and told Hannah that she should go on one of those cooking shows on TV, cuz she would win....and Hannah tells her, "I'd make sure of it"

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts

yeah they heard the door and got distracted but it looked like Deb was going to crack a smile

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Seeing the rather large-ish pool of blood Deb was lying in makes me wonder if she's gonna die and the spinoff will involve someone else

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    it feels so forced...she gets shot but manages to get a shot off at doh-head and wing him.....

all because Dex 'needs' to kill him before he leaves....If Dex would have left that night, him, Hannah and Harrison would be sipping Margarita's right now..

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Well, quick react to the episode - best episode of the season by far, why couldn't they have all been like this for the final season of a once great show? Definitely not without it's faults however.

I'll give my full thoughts a bit later.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Well, I guess the whole spin-off series with Deb was just a red herring

TBH, I never saw Deb dying coming at all. Maybe at the end of the previous episode when she was lying in a pool of blood I thought maybe she was going to die, but then during the finale and she was fine after recovering from surgery, I thought she was going to be fine, especially because of the spin-off red herring in the back of my mind.

The flashbacks of Deb and Dexter when they were meeting Harrison in the nursery for the first time were in a word, awesome (IMHO). It was sad to see Deb praise Dex so much about how she knew he would be a great dad because he was such a great big brother because he always took care of and protected her. And to see her become Dex's final 'victim' was very powerful because you saw him own up to the fact the she died because of him when he dumped her body in the ocean, just like all his other countless victims.

I liked the showdown between Dex and The Brain Surgeon in the holding cell. I thought that was great, especially since there was no voice over and no ghost Harry basically telling you what was going to happen next. The scene actually held some suspense, which was lacking a lot this season unfortunately. And the scene afterwards with Quinn and Batista going over the footage with Dex was good too, with Quinn giving Dex the nod and Quinn stating "it was self defense obviously". I think that's the show's way of saying that Quinn may not know that Dex is the serial killer that has been disposing of bad guys all over Miami, but he knows that Dex isn't the meek guy he portrayed himself to be. Does that make sense?

Not sure how I feel about the ending though. I would have actually been happier if it would have ended when it faded to black after we saw Hannah get the news that Dex's boat was wrecked in the hurricane and that there were no survivors. I didn't like that it came back showing Dex as a solitary lumberjack up in the Pacific Northwest somewhere. That ending left way too many plot holes open with the biggest being, it sure looked like Dex went quite far away from shore heading straight into that hurricane...how on earth did he make it back to shore to be able to flee?

But, I guess with all things being equal and this series having glaring plot holes quite regularly, it 'worked' in the minds of the writers even though I found that ending rather unsatisfying.

It was definitely the best episode of Dexter (IMO) that we have seen in a few years and as a whole, they did do it some justice after the mess of a season this had turned out to be.

Probably more thoughts to come as it still sinks in more and more.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    “For so long all I wanted was to feel like other people … now that I do just want it to stop.” Great line in the show by Dex during a voice over part.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Well, I guess the whole spin-off series with Deb was just a red herring

TBH, I never saw Deb dying coming at all. Maybe at the end of the previous episode when she was lying in a pool of blood I thought maybe she was going to die, but then during the finale and she was fine after recovering from surgery, I thought she was going to be fine, especially because of the spin-off red herring in the back of my mind.

The flashbacks of Deb and Dexter when they were meeting Harrison in the nursery for the first time were in a word, awesome (IMHO). It was sad to see Deb praise Dex so much about how she knew he would be a great dad because he was such a great big brother because he always took care of and protected her. And to see her become Dex's final 'victim' was very powerful because you saw him own up to the fact the she died because of him when he dumped her body in the ocean, just like all his other countless victims.

I liked the showdown between Dex and The Brain Surgeon in the holding cell. I thought that was great, especially since there was no voice over and no ghost Harry basically telling you what was going to happen next. The scene actually held some suspense, which was lacking a lot this season unfortunately. And the scene afterwards with Quinn and Batista going over the footage with Dex was good too, with Quinn giving Dex the nod and Quinn stating "it was self defense obviously". I think that's the show's way of saying that Quinn may not know that Dex is the serial killer that has been disposing of bad guys all over Miami, but he knows that Dex isn't the meek guy he portrayed himself to be. Does that make sense?

Not sure how I feel about the ending though. I would have actually been happier if it would have ended when it faded to black after we saw Hannah get the news that Dex's boat was wrecked in the hurricane and that there were no survivors. I didn't like that it came back showing Dex as a solitary lumberjack up in the Pacific Northwest somewhere. That ending left way too many plot holes open with the biggest being, it sure looked like Dex went quite far away from shore heading straight into that hurricane...how on earth did he make it back to shore to be able to flee?

But, I guess with all things being equal and this series having glaring plot holes quite regularly, it 'worked' in the minds of the writers even though I found that ending rather unsatisfying.

It was definitely the best episode of Dexter (IMO) that we have seen in a few years and as a whole, they did do it some justice after the mess of a season this had turned out to be.

Probably more thoughts to come as it still sinks in more and more.

I couldn't disagree more

Loved the nursery flashback scene as well....Deb dying was brave but sure seemed like an afterthought....him and the brain surgeon and the pen in the holding cell (while being videotaped) was ludicrous IMO....didn't like the Brain Surgeon in the first place, he came out of nowhere and I never got the sense he was dangerous, intelligent or even a half assed foe for Dexter...

and yes, the brooding lumberjack after the boat sailed into the hurricane actually made me lol...

IMO the series hit it's peak with the Trinity season and the death of Rita (I am rarely that shocked watching a TV series)...and everything that followed seemed unimportant or a half measure...

Deb dying was brave and sad, but I feel they could have handled it differently, rather than the result of some guy escaping and taking a pot shot at her with a gun....maybe if she would have died in the Brain Surgeon's chair and been filmed (for Dex to see) it would resonated more with me...

I've never read the books but I have read that the past couple of seasons are completely different than the overall narrative in the books. I do understand the main idea is that while Dexter is a serial killer, he also achieves humanity through his personal life. But after Rita died his relationships with her two kids and Harrison felt forced and not real....he was always walking in and patting them on the heads, never spending any significant amount of time with any of them.

I guess the writers left it open ended for the inevitable Dexter movie or future series....that was something I did like.