Thread: Very dead car advice

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts

Oops Very dead car advice

Hey gents, quick question.

My father-in-law died about 6 months ago and left my wife and I his vehicle. It's a 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe, nice little SUV. My wife's car is older so it'll be a good upgrade for her.

Due to the laws/estate rules up here, it took me quite a while to gain the ability to insure the vehicle so we could start driving it again. Unfortunately I'm an idiot and didn't start it often enough, and now it's very very dead. Like, doors-won't-unlock-with-the-FOB dead .

I tried jump-starting and even left my car running to juice the Sante Fe's battery for a good 10 minutes, but the lights just barely started coming on on the dash, and it was definitely not going to turn over (literally no sound when I turned ignition). Next time I'll definitely buy a trickle charger or something, I feel pretty stupid for letting this slip.

Anyways my question is: Should I just buy a new battery, slap it in and hope for the best? Or should I get it towed to have it serviced and have someone who knows shit about cars get it started?

I don't want to waste money having it towed if a new battery should do the trick.. but on the other hand maybe there are other concerns with a car sitting for so long... is the oil and gasoline okay after that much time (we've had a very mild year so it's not like it got very cold or hot)?

Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by Godfather; 09-18-2016 at 12:32 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    I am in no way shape or form an expert in these things, so you may wanna skip my advice and wait for somebody else who knows better to respond, but I would change the battery out.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts
    To my knowledge just leaving a car running on the driveway does nothing to get the alternator working you need to drive it, to test the alternator is charging the battery a cheap meter is useful if you have one

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I'd take a hit on a new battery if it were me and a service, there won't be to much wrong I wouldn't think

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Hey gents, quick question.

My father-in-law died about 6 months ago and left my wife and I his vehicle. It's a 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe, nice little SUV. My wife's car is older so it'll be a good upgrade for her.

Due to the laws/estate rules up here, it took me quite a while to gain the ability to insure the vehicle so we could start driving it again. Unfortunately I'm an idiot and didn't start it often enough, and now it's very very dead. Like, doors-won't-unlock-with-the-FOB dead .

I tried jump-starting and even left my car running to juice the Sante Fe's battery for a good 10 minutes, but the lights just barely started coming on on the dash, and it was definitely not going to turn over (literally no sound when I turned ignition). Next time I'll definitely buy a trickle charger or something, I feel pretty stupid for letting this slip.

Anyways my question is: Should I just buy a new battery, slap it in and hope for the best? Or should I get it towed to have it serviced and have someone who knows shit about cars get it started?

I don't want to waste money having it towed if a new battery should do the trick.. but on the other hand maybe there are other concerns with a car sitting for so long... is the oil and gasoline okay after that much time (we've had a very mild year so it's not like it got very cold or hot)?

Thanks in advance!!
    battery is probably fucked but instead of waiting until next time, why not buy the trickle charger now and see if the battery will charge?

Anyway, check the tyres because they can become flattened at the bottom where the car has been sitting. Check out the condition of the brakes especially if its been sitting outside. The oil will okay to start the car and drive it for a bit but I would get it changed asap. The fuel should be okay, but if tank is near empty, I'd fill it with fresh stuff.

Before you start it though, check the fluid levels. When you're ready to start it, find out where the fuel pump fuse is and pull it out then crank the engine until the oil pressure goes out on the dash (it will take a few seconds but if its more than 10 stop, leave it for a minute and try again) when it does go out, pop the fuse back in and you should be good to go.

Also, do what red says and get it serviced
    Quote Originally Posted by redred View Post
    To my knowledge just leaving a car running on the driveway does nothing to get the alternator working you need to drive it, to test the alternator is charging the battery a cheap meter is useful if you have one
    it will charge when its idling, but its no good for the car if its sitting (condensation buildup etc which can turn into some acid (can't remember what its called though)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    Often when the battery goes that dead it doesn't like to come back, even if it does take a charge it's not nearly as "strong" as a new one and more prone to fail, I'd replace it. Definitely check fluids, tires, etc. Fresh gas and an oil change wouldn't hurt.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Add some sand to the gas tank, it will fire right up.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    i was going to ask if it can be jumped back to life to drive around a little, but the people ^^^ that replied probably know best

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deebakes View Post
    i was going to ask if it can be jumped back to life to drive around a little, but the people ^^^ that replied probably know best
    Apart from RBP

10. The Following User Says Thank You to redred For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-19-2016)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deebakes View Post
    It might come back enough to start the car with a deep charge, but when a battery goes that dead it's life has been severely shortened if it comes back at all. On a nearly 5 year old battery I think replacement is probably the best option.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (09-18-2016), RBP (09-19-2016)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Buy a tow truck to pull it around with

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-19-2016)

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    time for an upgrade ?

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Thanks guys!

The battery was incredibly dead so I decided to try my hand at swapping it myself before calling anyone.

Swapped in the new battery and it started up right away! $100 well spent.

It badly needs a service and like Hugh said the tires were flat, but it's all good now Thanks again!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (09-24-2016), Pony (09-24-2016), redred (09-24-2016)

He who laughs, lasts. Noilly Pratt's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 705 Posts
    Cool! They are nice vehicles.

I once bought a car that had been sitting for a while. What I'd recommend is that you don't let the tank go below 1/4 of a tank. Sediment might have settled to the bottom and if you get some fresh gas a few times hopefully it dissipates. But if you run it down to fumes it can clog the fuel filter and then the pump can fail.

Signature created way-back-when by Goofy