#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

Stupid Emma Watson Puts Feminist Spin on Her Beauty and the Beast Character

By WENN

Emma Watson has put a feminist spin on her character in the upcoming remake of Beauty and the Beast.

The British actress plays Belle in Disney’s upcoming live-action adaptation of the classic 1991 animation, and has now revealed to fans the book-loving protagonist has a new backstory.

In the original, Belle is a bookworm, and the daughter of Maurice, a local bookseller and quirky inventor. Indeed, it is while traveling to sell his latest brainwave, a wood-chopping machine, that Maurice winds up imprisoned at the Beast’s enchanted castle.

However, Emma and the screenwriters weren’t satisfied with the original backstory, and have now made Belle an inventor, while her father, as played by Kevin Kline, is a music box craftsman.

“In the animated movie, it’s her father who is the inventor, and we actually co-opted that for Belle,” Emma told Entertainment Weekly.

“I was like, ‘Well, there was never very much information or detail at the beginning of the story as to why Belle didn’t fit in, other than she liked books. Also what is she doing with her time?’

So, we created a backstory for her, which was that she had invented a kind of washing machine, so that, instead of doing laundry, she could sit and use that time to read instead. So, yeah, we made Belle an inventor.”

The Bill Condon-directed film’s set decorator, Katie Spencer, added that Maurice’s music boxes are an important element of the mise en scene, and add another dimension to Emma’s character.

She explains the music boxes are made to represent different countries of the world, and work to indicate Belle’s isolation within her hometown.

Offscreen, Harry Potter star Emma, 26, is building a reputation as a gender activist after creating organization HeForShe with the United Nations and starting a feminist book club. Beauty and the Beast, which co-stars Dan Stevens, Luke Evans, Josh Gad and Ewan McGregor, is due to be released in theaters in March next year.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    i'm assuming rbp will be watching this for us and screen cap anything that would be worth seeing

3. The Following User Says Thank You to deebakes For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (11-07-2016)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Emma Watson doing a film about bestiality...

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    You think she can handle that big animal dick? It doesn't seem plausible to me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    While in the real world, nearly every invention that automated housework and were the largest catalyst to women being able to work outside the home were all invented by men.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deebakes View Post
    i'm assuming rbp will be watching this for us and screen cap anything that would be worth seeing
    Nope. The internet will do that for me, but there won't be anything.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.