Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: STAR TREK DISCOVERY Discussion Thread *Beware Spoilers*

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Yeah, saw that too. As well as a Picard spin-off that has been green lit and in the works.

I thought this whole Section 31 thing was new, but I guess they made mention of it in 'Enterprise' (which I still need to go back to, I've only made it about halfway thru the first season) and in DS9, which I've never seen.
    I watched all of Enterprise and enjoyed it. Now there's an example of how you show older tech on a new show.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Exactly, nothing about the Spock story line makes ANY sense whatsoever. All starting with Burnham as his adopted/foster sister (whatever she's supposed to be). Like you said, Sarek wanted Spock to be Vulcan and to ignore his human half. And to pursue a life of science and logic. It's brought up over and over on TOS and even on the episode Journey to Babel when Sarek comes aboard the Enterprise as the Vulcan diplomat for the delegation, he's shown as being extremely cold to Spock because he joined Star Fleet instead of pursuing science/logic/meditation or whatever it is that Vulcans do after they graduate from schooling

And even with Pon Farr, it's still a Vulcan tradition, even though it deals with mating and letting raw emotion out. Nothing on Discovery honors anything Vulcan that has been canon over the last 50 or so years of the show.
    The whole idea of the original Sarek and Amanda was that he was total Vulcan and she was human. I recall the same thing about Sarek being disappointed because Spock went into the Federation and lived with humans.

Here's my prediction about the big reveal regarding the incident that made Burnham and Spock estranged for life.

Burnham was showering and Spock was peeping through a hole in the wall. Sarek crept up behind him thinking Spock was doing an experiment. Sarek spoke and frightened Spock so badly he jumped in the air, turned around and was jerking his little vulcan off uncontrollably. Burnham screamed, Sarek left the room in disgust and Amanda came running with a towel to help Spock. Now no one in that family has talked to each other for years.

Or, Burnham beat Spock in an arm wrestle and he's never forgiven her (SJW version).

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    That half second flash looked like a bird of prey emblem on the floor. I didn't even recognize it was going to be an actual ship
    Yeah, it wasn't on screen for very long, but it was definitely the Klingon Battle Cruiser of TOS (and later on, the movies as well). But of course they can't even get that right because AshVoq said something like "behold the new D-7 battle cruiser" so it's in desiign/build mode right now.

But last season when Lorca was taken prisoner by the Klingons (where he met AshVoq), the ship's computer identified THAT Kilngon ship as a D-7. No wonder they violate Trek canon so much, they can't even keep details of their own show right ffs

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I watched all of Enterprise and enjoyed it. Now there's an example of how you show older tech on a new show.
    From what I saw, I really liked the show. I'm going to try and make my way back to it later on this winter. And I agree.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The whole idea of the original Sarek and Amanda was that he was total Vulcan and she was human. I recall the same thing about Sarek being disappointed because Spock went into the Federation and lived with humans.

Here's my prediction about the big reveal regarding the incident that made Burnham and Spock estranged for life.

Burnham was showering and Spock was peeping through a hole in the wall. Sarek crept up behind him thinking Spock was doing an experiment. Sarek spoke and frightened Spock so badly he jumped in the air, turned around and was jerking his little vulcan off uncontrollably. Burnham screamed, Sarek left the room in disgust and Amanda came running with a towel to help Spock. Now no one in that family has talked to each other for years.

Or, Burnham beat Spock in an arm wrestle and he's never forgiven her (SJW version).

I think it's going to be something that paints Spock and not Burnham in a bad light because, you know, Burnham is amazing and can do absolutely anything and everything better than anyone.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    From what I saw, I really liked the show. I'm going to try and make my way back to it later on this winter. And I agree.
    I've never watched much of Deep Space 9, like maybe five episodes.

If I had to rate Star Treks I've seen:

TOS
    TNG and Voyager
    Enterprise

|
    |
    |
    |
    |

Deep Space 9

|
    |
    |
    |
    |

any fan made Youtube video

|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

Discovery

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (02-06-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks

I think it's going to be something that paints Spock and not Burnham in a bad light because, you know, Burnham is amazing and can do absolutely anything and everything better than anyone.
    Just the fact that it paints Spock in the light of being not able to interact with her, therefore acting based on an emotion of some sort, it's going to suck.

Yep, it's going to be Burnham beating him in Mahjong or higher Star Fleet entrance exam scores.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I've never watched much of Deep Space 9, like maybe five episodes.

If I had to rate Star Treks I've seen:

TOS
    TNG and Voyager
    Enterprise

|
    |
    |
    |
    |

Deep Space 9

|
    |
    |
    |
    |

any fan made Youtube video

|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

Discovery
    Maybe that's what I'll do as I get some shows I'm watching now wrapped up. Instead of looking for 'new' shows, I'll try and start watching the Trek shows I haven't seen yet.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Just the fact that it paints Spock in the light of being not able to interact with her, therefore acting based on an emotion of some sort, it's going to suck.

Yep, it's going to be Burnham beating him in Mahjong or higher Star Fleet entrance exam scores.
    You know, I like to read some recap sites just because I like to see what others think, maybe I missed something, maybe get a different perspective on something...but holy hell Batman, 99.999999% of the sites that recap this show AND 99.999% of the commentators absolutely LOVE this show. Anyone in the comments section that even dares raise an issue with the show, whether the criticism is valid or not, they are jumped on from all sides. It's rabid.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

From one of the Discovery subreddits for example

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Here's a question...how do you think they will resolve the whole Michael Burnham character? Prior to Discovery, she was never mentioned or even hinted at. Will she have to die or have some other fate befall her before this series wraps up? Or do they just leave it an enigma and we have no idea what happens to her after Discovery but before TOS?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    You know, I like to read some recap sites just because I like to see what others think, maybe I missed something, maybe get a different perspective on something...but holy hell Batman, 99.999999% of the sites that recap this show AND 99.999% of the commentators absolutely LOVE this show. Anyone in the comments section that even dares raise an issue with the show, whether the criticism is valid or not, they are jumped on from all sides. It's rabid.

From one of the Discovery subreddits for example
    Two prime examples why I don't comment at Reddit and only view my other place. It's an instant argument and if I saw a question like - Why do people even complain, I would take the time to compile a post that would probably be three pages long. And then some bright light would call me a hater and who am I? A screenwriter? and it goes on and on.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Here's a question...how do you think they will resolve the whole Michael Burnham character? Prior to Discovery, she was never mentioned or even hinted at. Will she have to die or have some other fate befall her before this series wraps up? Or do they just leave it an enigma and we have no idea what happens to her after Discovery but before TOS?
    Backstory says this takes place 10 years before Kirk and Spock. We can only PRAY the show doesn't last 10 years in real time.

It's a good question that will probably be answered with one of the most idiotic, unbelievable, dumbassed pieces of writing ever witnessed as a TV watching civilization.

Burnham was a robot created by Sarek or some similar shit.

No wait, that's too good for this show

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Two prime examples why I don't comment at Reddit and only view my other place. It's an instant argument and if I saw a question like - Why do people even complain, I would take the time to compile a post that would probably be three pages long. And then some bright light would call me a hater and who am I? A screenwriter? and it goes on and on.
    Yeah as much as I feel like I want to post at those places, I never would because no matter how logical and thought out your criticism is, they will just attack you as a hater and just dismiss what you say, even if it's valid like the things we've brought up here.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yeah as much as I feel like I want to post at those places, I never would because no matter how logical and thought out your criticism is, they will just attack you as a hater and just dismiss what you say, even if it's valid like the things we've brought up here.
    I enjoy a pretty good rep at the recap site. I use my real name and rarely engage trolls. My go-to statement is that we're talking about entertainment and much like your favorite foods, there is no real argument here.

So when I encounter the trolls I dissect their posts line by line and calmly refute their pissy little comments and they rarely respond after that. There was this older poster named Anthony Chipoletti who knew Star Trek inside and out. He knew more about canonical ideas than most of us older viewers. He was on Twitter and every post of his was a link back to some article or aspect of the original show. It was annoying to read at times because instead of one post he would flood the thread with 38 one line comments with links It was messy...

But at one point I get him to start talking and he says he is in his 80's, was a small kid when Nazis were in Italy and he remembers a lot of early TV in the 50's. He was in America in the 60's and Star Trek helped him learn English.

Unfortunately he stopped posting because he got in an argument with one of these 20 year old winners we're talking about above. I'm sure the guy was legit because he used his real name across the board for commenting, Twitter and Facebook. I may have spelled it wrong. I told him he reminded me of my Dad who I lost and we became instant friends after that. I also called him Mr. Chipoletti.
    Last edited by Hal-9000; 02-07-2019 at 04:39 PM. Reason: spellink

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (02-07-2019)