Page 18 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: STAR TREK DISCOVERY Discussion Thread *Beware Spoilers*

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post

At first I liked Pike, one of the very few bright spots, but for being such a decorated Starfleet Captain as we know he is/becomes, he sure lets Burnham change his mind about things and sway his decision making.
    You know how he ended up in that chair with with the one beep, two beep interface.........BURNHAM!

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,091 Times in 59,905 Posts
    She sent him to Talos IV?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It would be absolutely hilarious if that's how they ended the Burnham arc.

She did something that saved the universe but caused another few thousand people to die in the process, and that's how Pike got burned and ended up in the chair. And she died.

Writer's room here I come!

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I started to watch the TOS episode Journey to Babel over the weekend, the one where we meet Sarek and Amanda for the very first time. I didn't get that far into it before I had other things to do, but two things stood out. Spock's mother was talking with Kirk and said that Sarek and Spock hadn't spoken as father and son for 18 years. Yet Discovery Sarek acts like everything between him and Spock are fine.

Then, later on, Spock's parents are on a tour of engineering and Spock was down there, and Amanda stops to talk with Spock and she says to him "all this time spent among humans and you haven't learned to smile." But wait, wasn't that Burnham's job? Teaching Spock empathy and how to be more human?

Two things from TOS that contradict nearly everything being laid out when it comes to Spock/Sarek during Discovery.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I started to watch the TOS episode Journey to Babel over the weekend, the one where we meet Sarek and Amanda for the very first time. I didn't get that far into it before I had other things to do, but two things stood out. Spock's mother was talking with Kirk and said that Sarek and Spock hadn't spoken as father and son for 18 years. Yet Discovery Sarek acts like everything between him and Spock are fine.

Then, later on, Spock's parents are on a tour of engineering and Spock was down there, and Amanda stops to talk with Spock and she says to him "all this time spent among humans and you haven't learned to smile." But wait, wasn't that Burnham's job? Teaching Spock empathy and how to be more human?

Two things from TOS that contradict nearly everything being laid out when it comes to Spock/Sarek during Discovery.
    Yeah the entire idea of Sarek and Amanda throughout TOS is that Sarek it completely logical and Amanda tempers that.

All that crap about bringing Burnham into the family to teach Spock whatever, is just a way to hitch their wagon onto canonical ideas and destroy them.

The only thing I liked about the current Amanda is the actress resembles the original Amanda and has the same moxy.

Why couldn't they just make Burnham a normal human black woman who is smart, can fight and we watch her move through the ranks of Starfleet? The Vulcan tie in was an obvious plot mechanic so they could show Sarek, Spock etc and ruin everything about their past that we've come to love and know

That's why I won't engage these mooks who say things like - It's just like the old Star Trek and boy aren't these writers clever

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (02-16-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Anson Mount is too good for this show. Put him in a gold sweater, black pants and let him lead a crew that wants to explore the universe, not play with spores.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (02-16-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I've learned to ignore the science on Star Trek shows. Someone always comes up with a left field plan to fix the ____using____ and it always works.

This past Discovery episode however went too far. The scene with Stamets, Burnham, May trying to figure out how to get Tilly back. They theorize traveling into the Mycilial network and Stamets says - Once we're in, we'll only have an hour before the spores eat through the hull of the ship.

How in the hell would someone know a time frame like that when the entire idea is theoretical and never been done before? In the scene someone said one thing, then another character added something else, and then they went around the horn like they were talking about fixing a child's toy.

And where did the cool lesbian engineer go? Same place as Number One from last week?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (02-17-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Didn't you love Jussie Smollett coming back from the dead?

This is why I watch sci-fi. To see men kiss each other after an episode that makes absolutely no sense.

The only redeeming thing about the episode was Tilly making a couple of funny comments.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (02-17-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,556 Times in 5,208 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post

This is why I watch sci-fi. To see men kiss each other after an episode that makes absolutely no sense.

The only redeeming thing about the episode was Tilly making a couple of funny comments.
    That's Smolett!?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (02-17-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks

It's not Smollett!...ya big kahoot

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (02-17-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks

I honestly hope they never find Spock - the inevitable cock-up it will be.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I've learned to ignore the science on Star Trek shows. Someone always comes up with a left field plan to fix the ____using____ and it always works.

This past Discovery episode however went too far. The scene with Stamets, Burnham, May trying to figure out how to get Tilly back. They theorize traveling into the Mycilial network and Stamets says - Once we're in, we'll only have an hour before the spores eat through the hull of the ship.

How in the hell would someone know a time frame like that when the entire idea is theoretical and never been done before? In the scene someone said one thing, then another character added something else, and then they went around the horn like they were talking about fixing a child's toy.

And where did the cool lesbian engineer go? Same place as Number One from last week?
    Just when you think that things can't get even more stupid than they already are, they release a new episode of this crap

I'll post more about my feelings on this last episode when I'm at work in front of a computer instead of on my phone.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    I honestly hope they never find Spock - the inevitable cock-up it will be.
    They have an actor listed in the credits...

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Just when you think that things can't get even more stupid than they already are, they release a new episode of this crap

I'll post more about my feelings on this last episode when I'm at work in front of a computer instead of on my phone.
    Even Georgiou is getting annoying and not making sense. Oh, you're the emperor of an evil mirror galaxy and disguised as a dead (and respected) Terran captain working for a super secret Star Fleet division? Don't worry, I know but I won't tell anyone. What?

And putting Ash in a black suit and giving him a job with the mysterious division doesn't change the fact he's about as menacing as a wet piece of lettuce. I swear, he has this constant look like a dog that didn't something bad and got caught. Gay Klingon Hipster.

And all of that spore 'science' and the storyline with having to find Tilly is classic Discovery. Interesting sets and visuals coupled with plotlines so stupid it breaks any immersion that may have existed.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Exactly, it's the future and there will always be 'future tech' so there will always be some way to solve a problem. That was very prominent starting with TOS and everything going forward. So that part I really don't have much issue with, same as you.

But yes, that whole thing with the mycilial network world and how to get Tilly back and how long it would take this super fungus to eat thru the ship's hull ("luckily tritanium isn't their most favorite food" Stamets or Burnham said, or something to that effect) was just asinine. Completely asinine. At least on TOS when dealing with 'unsolvable' problems, all of them, Spock, Scotty, McCoy, anyone involved would admit that they just don't know. These yahoos on Discovery apparently know everything however.

And then when they did find Jussie and they were running out of time and it was imperative that they got back so the ship could get out of the half and half condition, they were all just standing around and discussing things like there wasn't any urgency at all.