#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I'm really interested in your take after the finale, episode 15 Lance
    It will take awhile longer for me to get there. The only time I get to really sit down and watch it is early in the mornings on the weekends when I get up early with the dogs and before the wife gets up.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    It will take awhile longer for me to get there. The only time I get to really sit down and watch it is early in the mornings on the weekends when I get up early with the dogs and before the wife gets up.
    *gets up early*

Well, I can lift those 100 pound weights and run 10 miles....or ...watch an ep of Discovery.

I'm thinking, I'm thinking!

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    A few more observations after watching another 4 episodes (down to the last four left to watch (12-15) and I will be done):

One I forgot from before: so the computer gives you nutritional information on the food it makes, and it appears that it can make you anything in the galaxy instantly

Good, more swearing, got an 'assholes' drop to go with the earlier f-bombs. Nothing says Star Trek like gratuitous swearing

So they can, within a short amount of time, transform the Discovery, inside and out, uniforms and all dress and logos, into looking like a ship from a parallel universe with only the info they found on a data storage unit from some space wreckage

The whole 'Tyler is Voq is Tyler' thing is beyond stupid and the more I try and think about it, there's no way the timelines for that whole thing works out. Ever.

The whole USS Defiant thing from the TOS episode 'The Tholian Web' makes no sense, but hey, gotta find someway to get them back to their own universe. And of course they will have no problem decrypting the classified info from a different universe so that they will be able to get themselves home somehow.

The gay relationship, they should force that more because that's what we need more of too. Oops, Tyler/Voq killed the gay doctor, so I guess that won't be going anywhere else.

Mushroom spores cure death

This whole series is a fucking mess.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (02-26-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks

Could not agree more on each and every point.

The Tyler/Voq thing is such a mess, even the resolution doesn't make sense. (mild but not really a spoiler)

He was Voq, a full fledged Klingon. Then they broke down his bone structure, physiology and removed his organs, and made him look like Ash. Then they hid his consciousness, and layered Ash Tyler's conscious over top of that. Tyler was real guy. So they either had him to use and he's still alive or killed him during the process.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just throw Voq's consciousness into Tyler's body?

Even when some of the ideas seem cool, I keep getting this sense that there have been two sets of writers (and there were), and team B keeps coming in to write team A out of established stupidity.

Hang on to your hat, the last few are going to make you type!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (02-26-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    What baffles me is from a few things I've read online is that the critics love the show. Good God, why?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    What baffles me is from a few things I've read online is that the critics love the show. Good God, why?
    Because of some of the things you've listed...gay male romance, food synthesizers that commend snowflakes on their food choices, shirts that say DISCO on them along with gold lame trim on the booties, having a near-rave on the food deck, the whole 'remain Klingon' thing that echoes a few things in our current news, and my personal favorite:

The whole empowerment of a female character after she commits mutiny, physically fights her captain and good friend, is held responsible for over 8000 deaths ...and she still gets to be a bridge officer and often convinces officers in more senior positions to change their minds during conflicts

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (02-28-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    And so...at the end of episode 15 we see Discovery running into who? The Enterprise? Commanded by Chris Pike??

There's a term called the Kelvin Universe, where J.J. Abrams created a plot featuring the USS Kelvin commanded by George Kirk, and the ship is eventually destroyed by time traveling Romulans.

So now are there three timelines? The canonical or first timeline, the alternate reality or Kelvin timeline, and now the Discovery or Bullshit timeline?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    What bothered me most about the season finale reveal is that Discovery has spent an entire season undoing ideas that are canon.

And then they dare to show the mighty original Enterprise commanded by Pike???

I did love hearing the original outro music for the old series...but come on, talk about blatant theft.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yeah, the whole thing was a complete and total mess. And not only did they show the Enterprise, they showed the Discovery coming to its aid.

And you know I feel the same way as far as the canon goes because I've mentioned it more than once in my rants as I've progressed through the series.

A few things from the last few episodes:

So, Lorca was from another parallel universe due to a 'transporter malfunction' during an ion storm or some such bullshit. Okay, possibly plausible. But, with an infinite number of parallel universes, he was able to plot the EXACT coordinates to get Discover to jump back to his universe yet the Discovery couldn't get back to the correct time in their universe?

The whole concept of the micelial (or however it's spelled) mushroom network that not only permeates the vacuum of space, but can also go anywhere to any universe is beyond stupid. In fact, that whole spore drive thing might have been the mopst absurd thing in a series filled with absurdities.

Burnham got a chance to try and start another mutiny

Burnham, a criminal, got her commision back and became an officer aboard a starship again.?

Star Fleet allows a prisoner from another universe to command a ship and take point on the mission to defeat the Klingons AND agree to her demands to be freed?

The Klingon home world has it's very own Mos Eisly on it?

I know there's more and I'm sure it will come to me

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    You notice Burnham has been in the spot to convince superior officers to do something else...at least four times now?

I agree with all of your end points.

Having a jump drive technology is cool in some respects, but the created background with spores and water bears and almost killing a crew member to run it is just too much. Not to mention the entire idea negates every problem from the past when talking about warp drives...

The mirror universe has been brought up or referenced in almost every version of Star Trek. This one was absurd. Yes, we will let the Emperor of an evil universe have full command of a Starship.

I liked the Orion outpost because some of it brought a real feeling back of humor and humanity? The Klingon guy taking a whiz with two streams immediately made me think of Worf from Next Generation because (minor spoiler) he has a relationship with Troi

Lorca was the only character I really liked. Then they try to apply another band aid (my perception) and say he was the alternate bad guy from the start. I only hope the real Lorca is still out there and we get to see 'prime' Lorca because I like the actor.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The Orion outpost side thing would have been okay...had it not been on the Klingon home world

I liked the fact that the production value was as high as it was (probably the only good thing about the series) however I didn't like the fact that they made everything seem far more advanced that what was in TOS. You can make everything look better without making it look like it is more advanced than any of the other Star Trek series ever on television FFS.

In every other series, the Vulcans were level headed and logical. Peace, not war. Sarek in this series was the complete opposite of every Vulcan ever, starting back with the whole Vulcan Hello episode.

I kind of agree with you about Lorca being the most 'likable' character on the show. But I still think he was a bit, over the top, maybe? Not exactly sure what word I'm trying to think of here.

All the gratuitous sex scenes and swearing in the series

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It's the whole premise from the outset that bothers me.

Sure, get away from canon or create a 'making of' idea in reference to existing canonical ideas. But don't give a ship the power to teleport and set it in 10 years before the original series starts.

One making of idea was brought up by a podcast host - Have the emperor nuke all of the Klingon tribes, leaving only one variety. The difference in looks is no big deal because Klingons have changed on every incarnation since the start. It would also account for their ongoing general hatred of humans.

At first I thought the old school communicators and phasers looked neat. But now they look out of sync with the rest of the surrounding tech. Even the communicators look somehow larger and more fake than the originals

I thought the same about Sarek...and did they write themselves into a big hole by making her Spock's half sister? Will it be like the recent Supergirl series where they only show Superman in shadow because of copyright issues?

Speaking of her Vulcan upbringing. Burnham sure makes some emotional moves considering...and her last move was the antithesis of logic. 'Let's save them because it's the humane thing to do!' Right after Starfleet has concocted and okay'd the plan the nuke the Klingon homeworld with extreme prejudice..

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Agree 100%....the whole 'spore drive' teleportation thing would have been okay, had there been ANY mention of any of that kind of tech in ANY of the other series. But there wasn't. Nothing even remotely hinted at.

Agree about the communicators and phasers. Why not just go and make them look identical the the ones in TOS? And what is it that they seem to need to 'turn on' the phasers before they can even use them?

And I still don't like the fact that there are something like 7938756293845 different alien species in the crew of the Discovery yet in TOS, the only aliens in Star Fleet were Vulcans.