Thread: STAR TREK DISCOVERY Discussion Thread *Beware Spoilers*

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I remember the hiss I should be taking notes because as I watched that scene I thought - Lance is probably watching this and cringing in the same way.
    Yup, definitely cringed. It's like watching Dynasty or something FFS

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    You're right when you said Anson Mount is to good for this shit. They need to do a spin-off with him and the Enterprise during his tenure as captain. Unless they Discovery-ify it up.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Yup, definitely cringed. It's like watching Dynasty or something FFS

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    You're right when you said Anson Mount is to good for this shit. They need to do a spin-off with him and the Enterprise during his tenure as captain. Unless they Discovery-ify it up.
    Oh they will. With every Starfleet admiral, captain, engineer and alien species being played by a woman. And when Pike says his newly iconic and cool catch phrase - Hit it...someone will complain it implies violence against women and he'll have to start saying - Okay gang, let's go.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Oh they will. With every Starfleet admiral, captain, engineer and alien species being played by a woman. And when Pike says his newly iconic and cool catch phrase - Hit it...someone will complain it implies violence against women and he'll have to start saying - Okay gang, let's go.

Yup, as long as this asshat Kurtzman remains the showrunner for all these new Trek shows on CBS, it's gonna suck. He's just as bad a JJ Abrams when it comes to Trek FFS.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I listen to two guys who do a podcast about pop culture, TV shows, movies, video games, comics. They're both around 30 years old.

They recently did a podcast about TOS without admittedly having watched many episodes. They reported all of the background things we've already discussed about the budget problems, plots being well written for the time, how the show was received in comparison to other late 60's TV.

Then after watching a few eps, one of the guys makes a comment describing the overall feel and relationships on the show, in particular Kirk. He called it an old school Swingin Dick vibe where Kirk punched the shit out of aliens and bedded every damsel in distress, no matter what her color was.

The swingin dick comments were hilarious because it's clear these younger guys never watched any of the older shows we did.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I listen to two guys who do a podcast about pop culture, TV shows, movies, video games, comics. They're both around 30 years old.

They recently did a podcast about TOS without admittedly having watched many episodes. They reported all of the background things we've already discussed about the budget problems, plots being well written for the time, how the show was received in comparison to other late 60's TV.

Then after watching a few eps, one of the guys makes a comment describing the overall feel and relationships on the show, in particular Kirk. He called it an old school Swingin Dick vibe where Kirk punched the shit out of aliens and bedded every damsel in distress, no matter what her color was.

The swingin dick comments were hilarious because it's clear these younger guys never watched any of the older shows we did.
    Oh FFS

Yeah, Kirk had a swagger on the show and whatnot, and year, in some ways it was a bit stereotypical, but that's because it was a product of the era, just like all the other shows at the time But, in the same respect, it was also groundbreaking and way ahead of it's time.

And I'm pretty sure the focus of the episodes weren't just Kirk getting laid ffs

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Oh FFS

Yeah, Kirk had a swagger on the show and whatnot, and year, in some ways it was a bit stereotypical, but that's because it was a product of the era, just like all the other shows at the time But, in the same respect, it was also groundbreaking and way ahead of it's time.

And I'm pretty sure the focus of the episodes weren't just Kirk getting laid ffs
    These guys are pretty funny. Their take was more - We like this part but live in a world where we better not applaud it For instance one of the hosts greets the listeners by saying Hello fuckers...they don't hold back on much.

It's cool to listen to their take on the Star Wars movies etc because of their ages. Both kids of the 90's and I keep forgetting they weren't alive when talking about some of the subject matter.

For instance I recall seeing the first Lord of the Rings in the theater with a g/f in 2001. One of the podcasters was 14 years old when it came out.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Oh FFS

They used the term swingin dick swagger

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    These guys are pretty funny. Their take was more - We like this part but live in a world where we better not applaud it For instance one of the hosts greets the listeners by saying Hello fuckers...they don't hold back on much.

It's cool to listen to their take on the Star Wars movies etc because of their ages. Both kids of the 90's and I keep forgetting they weren't alive when talking about some of the subject matter.

For instance I recall seeing the first Lord of the Rings in the theater with a g/f in 2001. One of the podcasters was 14 years old when it came out.
    I remember going to the drive-in to see the original Star Wars

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Do they discuss Discovery? I'm gonna guess they are pro Discovery because of their ages and that they think TOS was swinging dick swagger FFS

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Do they discuss Discovery? I'm gonna guess they are pro Discovery because of their ages and that they think TOS was swinging dick swagger FFS
    I don't think they have or will do too many current TV shows. They have monthly patrons who contribute and if you do, you're allowed to suggest topics and they will cover certain requests like TOS Star Trek.

I'm not explaining the guy's attitudes correctly. They are great and their swingin dick swagger comments are said as a compliment, but also a whoopsy sort of thing to say outloud

Both were total nerds growing up and have made a good life as adults, so their self effacing comments are hilarious.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (02-18-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Riddle me this: why did Dr Jussie look all dirty and unkempt and have a beard and messy head of hair and then when he reappeared in the normal universe coming thru the magic pod, he looked exactly like he did when he was killed, all nice and gayly trimmed?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Riddle me this: why did Dr Jussie look all dirty and unkempt and have a beard and messy head of hair and then when he reappeared in the normal universe coming thru the magic pod, he looked exactly like he did when he was killed, all nice and gayly trimmed?
    Because the Micilial pod was a MAGA supporter and assaulted him first time through?

I don't effin know when it comes to anything on this show

Why? Because purple

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (02-18-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Don't think I missed the gayly trimmed comment